Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Aug 17, 22, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by maradori View Post
Other people might be able to chime in with a better answer, but the first thought that comes to mind for segments ex-SEA is to book a milk run.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about the details on what it is or how to book it, but that might be a place to start
I may be wrong (I've never flown it), but I believe the milk run would be considered a direct flight with multiple stops btw ANC/SEA vs unique flight segments between each of the stops along the way. It would credit the same # of miles and segments (1) as a nonstop between the two cities.
Old Aug 18, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have a AS miles DUB-BOS OW ticket, need a BOS-DUB a few weeks earlier. On Aer lingus a BOS-DUB-BOS round trip is cheaper than a OW BOS-DUB, can I buy a RT and fly back with a paid economy and mileage Business on same flight? Can I get miles for the paid if I do? Is there a trick to upgrade the return instead? The DUB-BOS cost AS 60K miles FYI
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K | oneworld Emerald
You didn't want to endure another family holiday gathering anyway, did you....

I don't think this deserves a new thread and nearly put it in the Bored Room thread, but...

Starting Dec. 16, flights from SEA to places like IND, CMH, CLE, CVG, and DTW are between $529 and $729 OW in Main. I get that the Dec. holiday season starts then, but I can't recall ever seeing prices so high to that part of the country unless it was a very full flight a few days out.

Was I simply not paying attention to these routes for the latter half of Dec. in previous (pre-pandemic) years, or is all this unprecedented and off-the-charts insane?

There are barely any seats reserved so far on these flights. Does AS really expect people will bite the bullet and pay these prices to take the whole family back to see Grandma and Grandpa for the holidays?

I realize a good answer to this will be yet another link to https://magic-8ball.com/, but I'm interested in any informed speculations.

Edit: FWIW...

Q: Does AS really expect people will bite the bullet and pay these prices to take the whole family back to see Grandma and Grandpa for the holidays?
Magic 8-ball answer: It is decidely so.
Sounds legit.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 19, 22, 7:50 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro, AmEx Membership Rewards
Is it possible to put Alaska flights on hold? I'm not seeing any option to do so on the checkout page
Old Aug 19, 22, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently View Post
Is it possible to put Alaska flights on hold? I'm not seeing any option to do so on the checkout page
Nope... that's an old-school AA thing.

You can book a ticket and always cancel for a full refund within 24 hours per DOT rules. Alaska is very good about this.

-J.
Old Aug 19, 22, 8:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
Nope... that's an old-school AA thing.

You can book a ticket and always cancel for a full refund within 24 hours per DOT rules. Alaska is very good about this.

-J.
Wow, AA isn't all bad after all.
Old Aug 19, 22, 7:21 pm

Alaska First class up grade on award ticket ? No Guest upgrade involved

OK, So I already know the very quirky rules about using a guest upgrade certificate at the time of purchase IF no first class space is available ( No shaded blue)
It's counter intuitive because the upgrade requested is supported by an instrument as opposed to a free complementary elite upgrade. But whatever, it is what it is.

Full mileage redemption.-- Alaska miles on Alaska website on Alaska metal.
The mileage upgrade , miles required is the same as coach.
will choosing "mileage upgrade" put us first on the list???
It's 50K miles per person, per way for both Coach and first class upgrade.
Advice which to pick?
Old Aug 19, 22, 9:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by writetorich View Post
OK, So I already know the very quirky rules about using a guest upgrade certificate at the time of purchase IF no first class space is available ( No shaded blue)
It's counter intuitive because the upgrade requested is supported by an instrument as opposed to a free complementary elite upgrade. But whatever, it is what it is.

Full mileage redemption.-- Alaska miles on Alaska website on Alaska metal.
The mileage upgrade , miles required is the same as coach.
will choosing "mileage upgrade" put us first on the list???
It's 50K miles per person, per way for both Coach and first class upgrade.
Advice which to pick?
If they're the same, it doesn't matter which one you pick.

All the "upgrade" column does is help you pick the fare class you want to book. Specifically, it ensures that the fare class is at least the minimum required for an instant upgrade at the selected status level. If the cheapest Main fare available is already in one of those fare classes eligible for instant upgrade, then they'll show the same price and selecting either will have the same result as it'll select the same fare class either way.

As far as where you'll be on the list, that follows the normal upgrade list ordering, the fact that you're booking an award ticket doesn't change that. So anyone with a higher tier of status will have higher priority for upgrades.
Old Aug 19, 22, 9:39 pm

Are award ticket eligible for complementary upgrades?

I thought no.

That is why I thought the Award upgrade was a little better even if only sightly more miles .
Old Aug 20, 22, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by writetorich View Post
I thought no.

That is why I thought the Award upgrade was a little better even if only sightly more miles .
Yes, you can receive complimentary upgrades on mileage awards, you just can't use a GGU.
Old Aug 20, 22, 5:13 pm

I tallied up all of my remaining flights this year and will be sitting just short of 60k EQM on Alaska. I currently do not have status. Should I push to try to hit MVP Gold 75k? I have Thanksgiving week free and would be willing to take a trip ex-SEA to rack up some miles. At first I thought SEA-LHR-ARN RT might be a good route on BA, but it seems those fare codes only earn 50% EQM, so not sure if there is a better partner option that would earn 100% EQM.
Old Aug 20, 22, 5:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by whackedspinach View Post
I tallied up all of my remaining flights this year and will be sitting just short of 60k EQM on Alaska. I currently do not have status. Should I push to try to hit MVP Gold 75k? I have Thanksgiving week free and would be willing to take a trip ex-SEA to rack up some miles. At first I thought SEA-LHR-ARN RT might be a good route on BA, but it seems those fare codes only earn 50% EQM, so not sure if there is a better partner option that would earn 100% EQM.

Whether it's worth it is individual. I can say that personally, I"ve enjoyed the increased benefits of 75k a lot. The benefits I value the most are: being able to nominate my bf as an MVP (this is especially helpful when we're traveling separately or under different reservations), getting upgraded to first class more frequently, premium seats at the time of booking, increased baggage allowance (mostly valuable when I'm traveling with non-status companions because I can check their bags), and the 4 lounge passes. My suggestions would be to add up the cash value of the benefits you would use/enjoy the most and weigh them against the cost of mileage runs.
Old Aug 20, 22, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Don't forget that 75k requires 12 flights on AS metal (includes QX and OO flights) so make sure you will have that if you decide to go for 75k.

My personal opinion as a 75k is that, depending on what it will cost to earn that extra 15k miles that you need, the jump from Gold to 75k isn't worth it. YMMV of course.
ssk244 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm in a similar boat but I'm currently 75k and after all my current fall travel plans I'll be about 17k miles short of renewing 75k for next year. Currently of the mind that it's not worth it (while I will miss some of the 75k benefits, namely PE seats at booking and frequent-ish upgrades) but that's ultimately up to you. If I were maybe just 1 RT transcon away from reaching it that'd be a no-brainer, but at 17k miles it's likely a no for me.
Old Aug 20, 22, 7:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by ssk244 View Post
I'm in a similar boat but I'm currently 75k and after all my current fall travel plans I'll be about 17k miles short of renewing 75k for next year. Currently of the mind that it's not worth it (while I will miss some of the 75k benefits, namely PE seats at booking and frequent-ish upgrades) but that's ultimately up to you. If I were maybe just 1 RT transcon away from reaching it that'd be a no-brainer, but at 17k miles it's likely a no for me.
If your other plans are already booked and settled and you would take those flights anyways, would 50k RDM in addition to the other benefits worth 17k?

Search this Thread