Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Aug 3, 22, 10:13 am
  #766  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: TX
Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
I'm going to be Platinum Pro on American Airlines soon, while I'm only MVP on Alaska. If I book a ticket using Alaska miles and then contact Alaska to switch my AAdvantage number onto the ticket to get the Platinum Pro benefits, will I have any problems or otherwise weird issues should I need to modify the booking? Both for redepositing the miles to my Alaska if I cancel/switch to a day that requires fewer miles, or pulling additional miles from my Alaska account if I switch to an itinerary that costs more miles than the original booking.
You need to book the ticket using Alaska miles for a guest/someone else, then put in your information with your AA number. More likely than not they won't switch programs on an award ticket if your AS number is in there booked with AS miles.
thatmikereed is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 10:17 am
  #767  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
You need to book the ticket using Alaska miles for a guest/someone else, then put in your information with your AA number. More likely than not they won't switch programs on an award ticket if your AS number is in there booked with AS miles.
I see. But not problems cancelling/changing the ticket once I book it the way you suggested?
Eurynom0s is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 10:24 am
  #768  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: TX
Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
I see. But not problems cancelling/changing the ticket once I book it the way you suggested?
What would you need to change if you do it the way suggested?
thatmikereed is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 1:26 pm
  #769  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: HOU
Programs: AA Plat | Delta Plat | Marriott Gold
Posts: 30
Looking to book 5 tickets:
1) Standard
2) Companion with certificate
3) Miles
4) Miles
5) Miles

I'm looking to get these all under the same reservation - for the purposes of everyone getting free baggage under me.

anyone know if this is something I can do myself?
Can they do it over the phone if not online?
s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 1:48 pm
  #770  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
What would you need to change if you do it the way suggested?
Cancel the booking, or change dates and the miles price changes. You know, the regular stuff that you may want to do with any award booking.
anteater likes this.
Eurynom0s is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 4:46 pm
  #771  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,565
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Looking to book 5 tickets:
1) Standard
2) Companion with certificate
3) Miles
4) Miles
5) Miles

I'm looking to get these all under the same reservation - for the purposes of everyone getting free baggage under me.

anyone know if this is something I can do myself?
Can they do it over the phone if not online?
No possible way to get this on one booking. The companion fare can have exactly two people on the reservation, no more, no less. It will be two separate reservations;
1) Primary and companion (two travelers) with certificate
2) Three passengers booked with miles.
EkekoBWI and samosa like this.
Finkface is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 9:45 pm
  #772  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Posts: 577
How to chose J seats on Aer Lingus for person with MVP status, I bought and have 100K if that matters.
tobikosan is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 9:54 pm
  #773  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: TX
Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by tobikosan View Post
How to chose J seats on Aer Lingus for person with MVP status, I bought and have 100K if that matters.
https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html#?select=0
thatmikereed is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 10:47 am
  #774  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Reno/Tahoe
Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Looking to book 5 tickets:
1) Standard
2) Companion with certificate
3) Miles
4) Miles
5) Miles

I'm looking to get these all under the same reservation - for the purposes of everyone getting free baggage under me.

anyone know if this is something I can do myself?
Can they do it over the phone if not online?
You can't split payment methods on the same reservation with AS, even if you call. It's really frustrating since it limits your opportunities to share your benefits with companions since sometimes it makes sense to use cash for one party and miles for the other, etc.
mtofell likes this.
SeaLuggageLover is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:06 pm
  #775  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: PDX, OGG or between the two
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 2,263
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover View Post
You can't split payment methods on the same reservation with AS, even if you call. It's really frustrating since it limits your opportunities to share your benefits with companions since sometimes it makes sense to use cash for one party and miles for the other, etc.
Yep - this drives me nuts since I want to keep gaining EQMs but want to use some of the pile of RDMs for the person I'm traveling with.
mtofell is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 2:24 pm
  #776  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Reno/Tahoe
Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Yep - this drives me nuts since I want to keep gaining EQMs but want to use some of the pile of RDMs for the person I'm traveling with.
Exactly.
SeaLuggageLover is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 4:32 pm
  #777  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin
Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Discoverist; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 305
Upgrade on AS (Skywest) flight as AA PLT

As an AA PLT booked with $ on the AS (operated by Skywest) AUS-SJC flight, am I eligible to get upgrade to first class. My status with AS is "tourist."

Thanks,
--woodstock
JoeWoodstock is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 4:54 pm
  #778  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,527
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock View Post
As an AA PLT booked with $ on the AS (operated by Skywest) AUS-SJC flight, am I eligible to get upgrade to first class. My status with AS is "tourist."

Thanks,
--woodstock
Complimentary First Class upgrades on AS are only available to AA Platinum Pro, Executive Platinum & ConciergeKey Elites.

James
JoeWoodstock and pcoll like this.
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Aug 7, 22, 2:40 pm
  #779  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
I need some additional Alaska points for a trip I am planning on booking. To get them, I was planning on transferring some Chase points to Marriott and then transferring my Marriott points to Alaska. Are there any issues I'm not thinking about with doing this (other than the not great value of transferring Chase to Marriott, but that's how the points serve me best currently)?
trishnaji is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 10:30 am
  #780  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by humdinger View Post
Hello all -

I'm flying LAX-SEA-PHL-Dublin, with the first two legs on Alaska and the final leg on Aer Lingus. The entire trip is on the same reservation (I believe it's the same "PNR", but I don't know the subtleties of what entails a PNR, so I hesitate to say that for sure).

My layover in PHL is about 16 hours.

When I check my luggage in LAX, do you think it'll be checked all the way through to Dublin, or will something (change in carriers, long layover in PHL?) make it so that I'll need to re-check my bags?

Thanks,
-HD
Yes, they should be able to check it all the way through. You may have two bag tags on each bag as in my experience they can only do two connections per tag. This has also led to luggage sometimes not getting all the way to the destination on your flight. (It has happened to me twice on 4 segment PNRs.)
humdinger likes this.
Klrduks is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread