Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
1) if I pay for AS first or main cabin via an online travel agency, can I still cancel the flights and receive AS travel credit? I can see that a few UK based OTAs are selling the same fares for a cheaper price and I can also pay in GBP rather than USD, which is better for my pocket as a Brit.
While I've had no experience with UK-based OTAs, I've had no problem getting AS travel credit for canceled flights booked using Amex, CapitalOne, or Chase travel portals.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Anybody have any experience flying the Air Tahiti Nui 787 LAX-CDG? Thoughts on how to choose seats as AS 100K and which seats for a solo flight? Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by tobikosan
Anybody have any experience flying the Air Tahiti Nui 787 LAX-CDG? Thoughts on how to choose seats as AS 100K and which seats for a solo flight? Thanks
It’s a 789 with 2-2-2 in the old Diamond seat. Slightly more private in the last row, but basically comes down to window or aisle preference, no window in row 4.
tobikosan and kalderlake like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
baggage fee?

We booked flts for family members & my DW and I both hold the AS Visa card. When I started checking them in tonight the app wants to charge each of them for 1 checked bag. There should be no fees. Anyway, to save them a hassle at the airport in the AM I'm waiting for a call back from AS CSR. Is this a know glitch in the system?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by philemer
We booked flts for family members & my DW and I both hold the AS Visa card. When I started checking them in tonight the app wants to charge each of them for 1 checked bag. There should be no fees. Anyway, to save them a hassle at the airport in the AM I'm waiting for a call back from AS CSR. Is this a know glitch in the system?
Are you traveling with them on the same reservation? If not, they'll have to pay to check a bag (see wording from the website below).

"If you are the primary cardholder on the account, have entered your Mileage Plan™ number into your reservation, and are traveling on Alaska Airlines, we will automatically waive the first checked bag fee for you and up to 6 other guests on the same reservation."
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
Are you traveling with them on the same reservation? If not, they'll have to pay to check a bag (see wording from the website below).

"If you are the primary cardholder on the account, have entered your Mileage Plan™ number into your reservation, and are traveling on Alaska Airlines, we will automatically waive the first checked bag fee for you and up to 6 other guests on the same reservation."
Thanks. I just found that info. Crud.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
If I purchase a ticket for myself and a companion fare ticket but my companion has their own MP, do we each earn our own miles?

Nvm, found the answer on alaska.com (yes)
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
If I purchase a ticket for myself and a companion fare ticket but my companion has their own MP, do we each earn our own miles?
It doesn't matter who purchases the ticket. The miles will always credit to the account of the person who actually took the flight.
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by mtofell
I also noticed that AS lists the tail# here sooner than the flight tracking apps do (makes sense since this is probably where they get it from) which is nice for checking wifi and being able to inform my employees and others whether or not I'll be reachable while in the air (to/from Hawaii where only some planes have over-ocean wifi).
Beware that aircraft swaps are fairly common especially for flights originating at hubs. I would say that in my flights originating at SEA this year, the aircraft has swapped from what was showing the day before about 50% of the time. You can see the planned routing on Flightaware by entering the tail number. Most often the swaps have happened either when the original aircraft had long ground time in Seattle and gets sent to perform an earlier flight (which may have originall been scheduled to use an aircraft that is now arriving late), or the inverse case, where the aircraft assigned to my flight is coming in late and they choose another airplane. That doesn't happen as much at outstations, by the time the aircraft is enroute, it's unlikely to get swapped out at the outstation. One exception to that is at airports close to GSO (where AS has outsourced maintenance.) They will sometimes rotate aircraft to/from GSO.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how long form C gates to A gates at LAX

We're thinking of flying boi-lax-ogg this fall. boi-lax is on AS and then connecting to AA. How long is the walk, approx., between the terminals? Say 65C to 54A. The layover is only ~90 min. and we don't walk fast. Doable?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
We're thinking of flying boi-lax-ogg this fall. boi-lax is on AS and then connecting to AA. How long is the walk, approx., between the terminals? Say 65C to 54A. The layover is only ~90 min. and we don't walk fast. Doable?
Very.
philemer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Unless things go haywire and your BOI-LAX flight is very very delayed, you'll be fine. You can connect via an underground tunnel to T-5 (image of map from LAX here for reference), and it's about a 5-10 min walk to T-5. You can also leave security and walk outside the terminal, but it will require you to clear security again and will be a longer walk.
philemer and PaperGlider like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
For AS segment qualification if you book a flight on another OW carrier that includes legs on AS metal do those count towards elite status?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tobikosan
For AS segment qualification if you book a flight on another OW carrier that includes legs on AS metal do those count towards elite status?
You'd accrue AS segments on AS operated flights including OO/QX flying for Alaska but not the OW carrier segments.
tobikosan and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:12 pm

Hello All,

I just received an update from AwardWallet that some of my flight segments have changed classes. I'm MVP Gold and am flying round-trip JFK to SFO to OGG (Maui) in Premium or First via GGU.
The segment of OGG (Maui) to SFO changed from "U" to "Q", I don't know if it matters because I'm using a GGU for First on that segment.
The other one that changed is SFO to JFK, which went from "N" to "Q".
Do the changes affect my upgrade chances?
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.