Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Maybe. She'll have to move it for the beverage and trash cart and for people coming back and forth to the lavs depending on how far out it is. A bulkhead aisle would potentially alleviate that. I don't envy her the flight...

Also sounds like it's not completely immobilized. That's good.
It is completely immobilized. No bending.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by philemer
If that's the case, how can she "stretch the leg into the aisle some of the time"? Call the accommodations line back, explain the leg is immobilized, and see what the options are.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
If that's the case, how can she "stretch the leg into the aisle some of the time"? Call the accommodations line back, explain the leg is immobilized, and see what the options are.
I'll call this time. Her hip is fine so she should be able to "swing" her leg to the right a little.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:11 pm

I'll call this time. Her hip is fine so she should be able to "swing" her leg to the right a little.
You're assuming they aren't too long such that the seat frame blocks her from doing so, e.g. having to put her leg straight under the seat and a pitch short enough that she can't swing out, hence my bulkhead recommendation. If she's 5'1", that might be doable.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What about needing to use the lav during the flight? With an immobilized leg, will it be possible to sit while the lav door is closed? While 5'6" is not terribly tall, it could be just tall enough to prevent achieving a full on seated position in the confines of the lav while the door is closed.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
What about needing to use the lav during the flight? With an immobilized leg, will it be possible to sit while the lav door is closed? While 5'6" is not terribly tall, it could be just tall enough to prevent achieving a full on seated position in the confines of the lav while the door is closed.
This is what medical incontinence products are for... and judicious pre-flight food/water.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Most mainline aircraft in the US have what's called an onboard wheelchair -- a folding wheelchair to move passengers who are otherwise completely immobile up and down the aisle. This will be available to her should she need to get to or from the lav and can't on her own. They'll also probably allow her to use the lav with the door open, provided you or someone else is by the door to give her some privacy. A good FA will ask at the beginning of the flight how they can best assist inflight.

-J.
philemer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, all sorted. The rep. moved my DD and g-daughter up to 11C & D. Other g-daughter & SIL are in 21C & D. Good solution I think.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG (OWS)
Originally Posted by furnace
I booked a 3-flight itinerary on Condor (DE) that includes a first leg on AS, a second on DE, and a third on LH. The CSRs at DE have not been helpful. Folks on AS MVPG line and were able to find the AS PNR pretty easily, which I used to add the flight to the AS mobile app. That said, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add the AS MP number in a way that AS can see it so that I'm in the upgrade list, can check an extra bag, have access to international lounges, and so on.

The CSR at DE claims they were able to add my AS MP numbers to the reservation but there's no indication on the AS side (or the DE side in any place I can see, for that matter) that this has been done. <shrug> Although things look fine in the DE system, my name in the AS app shows up as <FIRSTNAME> Mr <LASTNAME> and DE claims they cannot see this. Because my middle name isn't "Mr" as far as AS or anybody else is concerned, neither the AS App nor the folks at AS seem to be able to add the MP number in a way that the AS system can see it. AS told me to call DE to fix it. DE only responded to say that, in any case, they can't change names in any way because the itinerary involves other airlines.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do to get my status reflected in the reservation for that first leg? Will I be able to add the MP number at the airport during checkin? Will I need to be requesting retroactive miles after the flight?
An update: I called the AS MVPG line a second time and the CSR managed to "try something else" which successfully got my AS number added to the AS side of my reservation. The name was still wrong in the app and on the printed tickets (i.e., with "Mr" as my middle name) but I was able to to check a bag, get upgraded, and so on. No trouble at the airport although it did require a few manual overrides at security and such. The AS and the Condor miles posted normally without any intervention needed.
philemer and ssk244 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by furnace
An update: I called the AS MVPG line a second time and the CSR managed to "try something else" which successfully got my AS number added to the AS side of my reservation. The name was still wrong in the app and on the printed tickets (i.e., with "Mr" as my middle name) but I was able to to check a bag, get upgraded, and so on. No trouble at the airport although it did require a few manual overrides at security and such. The AS and the Condor miles posted normally without any intervention needed.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I almost flew Condor last month but canceled my ticket within the 24hr window. The fact that I couldn't add my AS number freaked me out and I didn't want to jump through all the hoops of having to request credit retroactively. I also didn't like that there was no way to cancel my ticket online and I had to call them to do it. I ended up flying BA instead.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Sorry, more silly questions!

1) if I pay for AS first or main cabin via an online travel agency, can I still cancel the flights and receive AS travel credit? I can see that a few UK based OTAs are selling the same fares for a cheaper price and I can also pay in GBP rather than USD, which is better for my pocket as a Brit.

2) on the SFO-LAX route, is it better to fly First with Alaska Airlines or Skywest? It’s a 737 vs an Embraer, I think. I’m unsure if AS offers better service than the regional airline.

Thank you!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I learned this trick right here on FT and I use it all the time now. To see the waitlist 3 or 4 days in advance, go to: https://www.alaskaair.com/flightstatus and type in your flight info. Pick any date and hit continue. When you get to the next screen, delete the date from the URL and type in the date of your flight instead.
This is awesome.... thank you for sharing!!

I also noticed that AS lists the tail# here sooner than the flight tracking apps do (makes sense since this is probably where they get it from) which is nice for checking wifi and being able to inform my employees and others whether or not I'll be reachable while in the air (to/from Hawaii where only some planes have over-ocean wifi).
SeaLuggageLover likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Sorry, more silly questions!

1) if I pay for AS first or main cabin via an online travel agency, can I still cancel the flights and receive AS travel credit? I can see that a few UK based OTAs are selling the same fares for a cheaper price and I can also pay in GBP rather than USD, which is better for my pocket as a Brit.

2) on the SFO-LAX route, is it better to fly First with Alaska Airlines or Skywest? It’s a 737 vs an Embraer, I think. I’m unsure if AS offers better service than the regional airline.

Thank you!
For 1, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

For 2, it depends on how you travel. The ERJ175 is, as regional jets go, pretty nice, but it only has usable overhead bins on the right hand side, so if you're a last minute boarder who travels with a normal sized carryon bag, you'll be gate checking it. Your BA Gold status probably makes these flights a high probability upgrade, in which case the left side single row is nice.

The service on these short flights is, in my experience, basically the same whether it's Skywest or mainline Alaska. In coach, you'll get one quick pass of the beverage cart and small snack. In first you'll get a drink or two and the snack bin. Note that SFO-LAX is listed as 337 miles and the cutoff for drink service is 350 miles, so there's a chance there will be no service in coach (I haven't flown this route since before Covid).
Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by WestSideBilly; Jun 30, 2022 at 5:28 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
For 1, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

For 2, it depends on how you travel. The ERJ175 is, as regional jets go, pretty nice, but it only has usable overhead bins on the right hand side, so if you're a last minute boarder who travels with a normal sized carryon bag, you'll be gate checking it. Your BA Gold status probably makes these flights a high probability upgrade, in which case the left side single row is nice.

The service on these short flights is, in my experience, basically the same whether it's Skywest or mainline Alaska. In coach, you'll get one quick pass of the beverage cart and small snack. In first you'll get a drink or two and the snack bin. Note that SFO-LAX is listed as 337 miles and the cutoff for drink service is 350 miles, so there's a chance there will be no service in coach (I haven't flown this route since before Covid).
Thank you very much for your help. I didn’t realise I might get a complimentary upgrade as BA Gold, that is nice!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thank you very much for your help. I didn’t realise I might get a complimentary upgrade as BA Gold, that is nice!
Actually, I have to take that back - that benefit is limited to AA elites. I thought other members with Oneworld Emerald equivalent also did, but I was wrong.

But you would get access to priority seating, which would get you access to exit rows on the 737 (mainline) flights, whereas the ERJ175 the priority seating is all normal seats. So if you're tall, that would make the 737 option preferrable.
Radiation Station likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.