Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Jun 29, 22, 7:24 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Forgive my ignorance - I have never flown domestically in the USA or ever flown Alaska. I am looking at buying Alaska flights from LAX to LAS and LAS to SFO for this summer, and I am a bit confused about what seat selection options I will have. My partner and I are both Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold) but have no direct status with Alaska. The cheapest tickets I can see are called Saver fares and I am wondering if I would get free seat selection with these fares as OWE? Also, which seats would be available for selection? I can see there is a section of economy on the seating map for "Alaska and oneworld® elites" - can I book these seats for free as OWE on a Saver or Main Cabin fare?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:33 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
The cheapest tickets I can see are called Saver fares and I am wondering if I would get free seat selection with these fares as OWE? Also, which seats would be available for selection? I can see there is a section of economy on the seating map for "Alaska and oneworld® elites" - can I book these seats for free as OWE on a Saver or Main Cabin fare?
Saver fares will only let you select the seats specified for Saver at the back of the plane, if any are still available. If not, you will be unable to select a seat and your seat will be assigned at check in or at the gate. Status doesn't affect this, not for Alaska elites nor one world partners. Status *does* let you board earlier (Saver boards last) and waives baggage fees.

The section for "Alaska and oneworld elites" would require you to book Main, not Saver.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by remyjette View Post
Saver fares will only let you select the seats specified for Saver at the back of the plane, if any are still available. If not, you will be unable to select a seat and your seat will be assigned at check in or at the gate. Status doesn't affect this, not for Alaska elites nor one world partners. Status *does* let you board earlier (Saver boards last) and waives baggage fees.

The section for "Alaska and oneworld elites" would require you to book Main, not Saver.
Thank you, that is very helpful. Would you say it is worth paying the extra cost for Main cabin ie are the ""Alaska and oneworld elites" definitely better seats?
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:40 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Thank you, that is very helpful. Would you say it is worth paying the extra cost for Main cabin ie are the ""Alaska and oneworld elites" definitely better seats?
The seats themselves are the same, unless you book the exit row in which case you will have significantly more legroom.

However, I never book Saver for one simple reason - Saver fares are not changeable. If for whatever reason you become unable to travel on the date of your ticket, the money you paid is forfeit. With a Main fare, you can cancel any time until departure and receive credit for the fare paid to apply towards a future flight. COVID is still a thing, so that flexibility is worth the price increase in my opinion.
Old Jun 29, 22, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by remyjette View Post
The seats themselves are the same, unless you book the exit row in which case you will have significantly more legroom.

However, I never book Saver for one simple reason - Saver fares are not changeable. If for whatever reason you become unable to travel on the date of your ticket, the money you paid is forfeit. With a Main fare, you can cancel any time until departure and receive credit for the fare paid to apply towards a future flight. COVID is still a thing, so that flexibility is worth the price increase in my opinion.
Thanks a lot, again. I can see the exit rows are available, which would be appreciated by our long limbs

Thanks for the insight about main cabin fares offering better cancellation options - I definitely don’t mind paying a bit extra for that in these times.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
accommodation for person with full-leg splint?

My poor granddaughter fell yesterday while vacationing in Maui & now has a full-leg split on. They fly home Sunday. They are in seats 21C/D/E/E on a 739 I think. My DD will call AS this morning to see if there might be a better seat for my granddaughter. She can't bend her knee at all. What can she expect besides a very uncomfortable flight/s
PS She's 18 and about 5'6"

Last edited by philemer; Jun 29, 22 at 10:58 am
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
My poor granddaughter fell yesterday while vacationing in Maui & now has a full-leg split on. They fly home Sunday. They are in seats 21C/D/E/E on a 739 I think. My DD will call AS this morning to see if there might be a better seat for my granddaughter. She can't bend her knee at all. What can she expect besides a very uncomfortable flight/s
First, make sure she's clear to fly. Depending on the injury (break vs. sprain) there may be increased risk of blood clots on longer flights.

Second, they're often (but not always) available to accommodate someone in a bulkhead row. She qualifies as a disabled traveler with her leg immobilized: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...accommodations

Third, medication will be her friend.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
First, make sure she's clear to fly. Depending on the injury (break vs. sprain) there may be increased risk of blood clots on longer flights.

Second, they're often (but not always) available to accommodate someone in a bulkhead row. She qualifies as a disabled traveler with her leg immobilized: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...accommodations

Third, medication will be her friend.
Thanks. I'll have them check with the Dr to make sure she's cleared to fly. They think it's a ripped or stretched ligament or tendon. Will have a MRI when she gets home.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I'll have them check with the Dr to make sure she's cleared to fly. They think it's a ripped or stretched ligament or tendon. Will have a MRI when she gets home.
She just got off the phone with AS and the agent said there were no bulkhead seats available (row 6) but they could put her in 7E, a middle seat. for a $149 upcharge. Do they ever force open a bulkhead seat in this situation?
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:41 am

She just got off the phone with AS and the agent said there were no bulkhead seats available (row 6) but they could put her in 7E, a middle seat. for a $149 upcharge. Do they ever force open a bulkhead seat in this situation?
Did you call the disability accommodation number in the link I provided earlier?
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 100K
Thanks a lot, again. I can see the exit rows are available, which would be appreciated by our long limbs

Thanks for the insight about main cabin fares offering better cancellation options - I definitely don’t mind paying a bit extra for that in these times.
Unless you're Alaska MVP or higher you can't book directly into exit rows. I believe it opens to the general public 24 hours before takeoff.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you call the disability accommodation number in the link I provided earlier?
Yes she did. The agent was sympathetic but....................
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:17 pm

Yes she did. The agent was sympathetic but....................
HUCA. If her leg is immobilized they're required to accommodate her without charge. If it's splinted/braced in such a way that it bends, no accommodation is required but you're better off rebooking into a more comfortable alternative or hoping there's something the gate agent can do. Depending on your credit card there might be coverage under trip or medical benefits there - depends on the card and coverage. I wouldn't let money trump comfort and safety here for sure.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HUCA. If her leg is immobilized they're required to accommodate her without charge. If it's splinted/braced in such a way that it bends, no accommodation is required but you're better off rebooking into a more comfortable alternative or hoping there's something the gate agent can do. Depending on your credit card there might be coverage under trip or medical benefits there - depends on the card and coverage. I wouldn't let money trump comfort and safety here for sure.
Thanks. She's in an aisle seat now, 21C, so she can stretch the leg into the aisle some of the time. Wouldn't that be more comfortable than any of the bulkhead seats?
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:40 pm

Thanks. She's in an aisle seat now, 21C, so she can stretch the leg into the aisle some of the time. Wouldn't that be more comfortable than any of the bulkhead seats?
Maybe. She'll have to move it for the beverage and trash cart and for people coming back and forth to the lavs depending on how far out it is. A bulkhead aisle would potentially alleviate that. I don't envy her the flight...

Also sounds like it's not completely immobilized. That's good.

Search this Thread