Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Jun 13, 22, 8:37 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
hi there - recently dropped from 75k to MVP basic -- are there award cancellation fees for MVP (excl partner/phone booking)? Website doesn't list them out but there is reference to cancellation fees.
bump
Old Jun 13, 22, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
bump
There are no cancelation fees for anyone regardless of status, other than the $12.50 partner award fee which is non refundable for everyone (absent a significant schedule change).
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
There are no cancelation fees for anyone regardless of status, other than the $12.50 partner award fee which is non refundable for everyone (absent a significant schedule change).
Added to that Partner fees are fully refundable IF the booking is canceled within first 24 hours
Sadly many Alaska agents don’t know this and may argue not true so you may have to escalate
to a supervisor
Almost always even before transferring the call they come back apologize or acting cranky refund
the partner fee as if they are doing you a favor
I would be a far better customer at Alaska but the partner fee is a gotcha unnecessary money grab
and I book away elsewhere plenty both revenue and award because of it
Alaska oddly even with some of the nicest agents in the business frequently has poor training
for its agents in some key areas
with its own policies and that of One World rules and restrictions.I prefer to sometime book at
Super cranky American just because they at least
know their business quite well in comparison
Old Jun 14, 22, 10:16 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 22, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Added to that Partner fees are fully refundable IF the booking is canceled within first 24 hours
Sadly many Alaska agents don’t know this and may argue not true so you may have to escalate
to a supervisor
Almost always even before transferring the call they come back apologize or acting cranky refund
the partner fee as if they are doing you a favor
I would be a far better customer at Alaska but the partner fee is a gotcha unnecessary money grab
and I book away elsewhere plenty both revenue and award because of it
Alaska oddly even with some of the nicest agents in the business frequently has poor training
for its agents in some key areas
with its own policies and that of One World rules and restrictions.I prefer to sometime book at
Super cranky American just because they at least
know their business quite well in comparison
Recently cancelled a partner award on the site (within 24hrs of booking), everything incl the partner award fee was refunded automatically.
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
A simple question that I'm sure has been posed and answered a dozen times, but I can't locate it (nor the definitive answer).

One way to qualify for MVP Gold in 2022 is to accrue 40,000 eligible miles on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and Global Partners, plus take 6 flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines. My question is in regard to the 6 AS flights. Specifically, do redemption flights count for this requirement? I am nearly certain that flights taken by individuals designated as companions on companion fares get counted, but I'd appreciate confirmation whether flights flown as miles rewards count as well. If so, are there special issues that need to be addressed during ticketing or check-in if the miles come from someone else's account, or are from a different program (i.e. AAdvantage or BAEC)? TIA for a link to where this has been discussed previously .
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jbalmuth View Post
A simple question that I'm sure has been posed and answered a dozen times, but I can't locate it (nor the definitive answer).

One way to qualify for MVP Gold in 2022 is to accrue 40,000 eligible miles on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and Global Partners, plus take 6 flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines. My question is in regard to the 6 AS flights. Specifically, do redemption flights count for this requirement? I am nearly certain that flights taken by individuals designated as companions on companion fares get counted, but I'd appreciate confirmation whether flights flown as miles rewards count as well. If so, are there special issues that need to be addressed during ticketing or check-in if the miles come from someone else's account, or are from a different program (i.e. AAdvantage or BAEC)? TIA for a link to where this has been discussed previously .
Revenue Flights only. Award segments do not count towards the flight segment requirements to attain status.

James
samosa likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K
WHY.... does AS force me to go through the hell that is calling them to cancel a flight that gets moved/changed????? I get it, things change. This flight is for October and I'm totally flexible so it's really no big deal that it got changed. I'd just really like the option to cancel and rebook on my own. You'd think they'd want to cut down on the number of calls they get since most times they can't deal with them anyway.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG100K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We've had a 55-minute schedule change on a FLL-SEA flight in December, and our previous 8 AM departure is now 7:05 AM.

Any chance that AS will treat that as a 60-minute change and allow us to modify it without paying the increase in fare? I'm guessing not but would be happy to hear otherwise.
Old Jun 16, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
We've had a 55-minute schedule change on a FLL-SEA flight in December, and our previous 8 AM departure is now 7:05 AM.

Any chance that AS will treat that as a 60-minute change and allow us to modify it without paying the increase in fare? I'm guessing not but would be happy to hear otherwise.
55 mins > 60 mins, so in terms of policy? No. In practice? Call in with a proposed itinerary you'd like to change to and you may get an agent willing to do it without paying fare difference.
Fredd likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 10:54 pm

Am I understanding the difference between Saver and Main class for canceling the ticket?

For Saver, only within 24 hours you can get the refund. Outside 24 hours, nothing. (My question we cannot even get refunds to the wallet? What if paid via credit card vs using the funds?)
For Main, you can get refunds to wallet after canceling outside of 24 hours window. (What if you pay the ticket with credit card vs using the funds in wallet? Both get refunded to wallet?)
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toshig View Post
Am I understanding the difference between Saver and Main class for canceling the ticket?

For Saver, only within 24 hours you can get the refund. Outside 24 hours, nothing. (My question we cannot even get refunds to the wallet? What if paid via credit card vs using the funds?)
For Main, you can get refunds to wallet after canceling outside of 24 hours window. (What if you pay the ticket with credit card vs using the funds in wallet? Both get refunded to wallet?)
For both Saver & Main, cancellations within 24 hours of booking will return the funds to the original form of payment, credit card to credit card or wallet to wallet, providing that the ticket was purchased more than 24 hours before departure. If purchased within 24 hours of departure, Saver funds are forfeited and Main funds go to the wallet, regardless of payment method.

After the 24 hour grace period, Saver funds have flown, (forfeited, lost) whether or not you are flying with them unless there is a flight cancellation, schedule change of more than ±60 minutes, or irregular operations.

After the 24 hour grace period, Main cabin funds can be either returned to your wallet or you can elect to have the ticket canceled and "shelved" in the form of an email retaining the full value to use at a later date.

The later is useful if you have a companion certificate attached. It will be held with the canceled ticket and can be used at a later time while an outright cancellation and return of funds to your wallet would forfeit the instrument.

James
Old Jun 18, 22, 5:14 pm

Access to elite only seats without status

I'm trying to book AS65 but the only window seats on the date (June 26 for example) are in row 9-17, which are for "Alaska and oneworld elites". I have no status with AS nor other OW airlines. Is there a way to select those seats without status? The booking flow doesn't seem to allow for paying for those seats - only has option to pay for Premium seats.
Old Jun 18, 22, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb View Post
I'm trying to book AS65 but the only window seats on the date (June 26 for example) are in row 9-17, which are for "Alaska and oneworld elites". I have no status with AS nor other OW airlines. Is there a way to select those seats without status? The booking flow doesn't seem to allow for paying for those seats - only has option to pay for Premium seats.
AS doesn't charge for seat selection. Those seats are held for AS & oneworld elites until check-in opens 24 hours before flight time. You can select any available Main Cabin seat, without charge, at that time providing you are not on a Saver fare.

There isn't an option to "purchase" those seats prior. Sans attaing AS or oneworld status, you will have to wait. In the interim, you can monitor to see if a window seat becomes available in non-elite seating.

Elite upgrades after OLCI will free up seats, a Premium Class or Exit row pax goes to First and that seat is taken by another Elite. It will really be the luck of the draw. Make sure to check-in as soon as it opens.

James
ithinkurdumb and pcoll like this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
AS doesn't charge for seat selection. Those seats are held for AS & oneworld elites until check-in opens 24 hours before flight time. You can select any available Main Cabin seat, without charge, at that time providing you are not on a Saver fare.

There isn't an option to "purchase" those seats prior. Sans attaing AS or oneworld status, you will have to wait. In the interim, you can monitor to see if a window seat becomes available in non-elite seating.

Elite upgrades after OLCI will free up seats, a Premium Class or Exit row pax goes to First and that seat is taken by another Elite. It will really be the luck of the draw. Make sure to check-in as soon as it opens.

James
Thanks for the quick help! I guess the system won't let me pick a seat because it requires a seat to be available for all segments from SEA to JNU. If I book SEA-JNU as one flight, would customer service be able to put me on different seats on different segments?

Edit: nevermind - I was able to book them segment by segment and the AS website is smart enough to price it correctly
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread