Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:48 pm

Booked a codeshare operated by AA, and I have status and my companion doesn't. Being on the same PNR my companion on Alaska would get my baggage allowance. Does that also carry over to AA? For example, on AA I get 2 bags based on my status, my companion does not, but because we are on the same PNR does AA treat us the same as well?
I was able to pick MCE seats for both of us.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am about to book AS flights in cash for the first time for the family of 4. I don't have experience in booking US domestic flights (we live Down Under). I am looking at one-way SFO-TPA ($229 on Main) or SFO-MCO flight ($259 on Main) just before New Year.

1) The Saver Fare: Can a family of 4 sit together, or they will be seated anywhere there are spaces left (i.e. they will be separated)? it is $40 cheaper for each person but my wife may not like it if we are seated apart.

2) I am QR Gold, can I credit miles to my AS account, whilst getting lounge access and free 1 checked-in luggage allowance as QR Gold?

3) Will there be sales of AS tickets on regular basis? Or I should just bite the bullet and buy it now given the flight is just before New Year?

4) Maybe off-topic, TPA is cheaper than MCO on flight prices, is there any disadvantage of flying to TPA, than MCO, apart from longer drive to Disney World? We will be staying near Disney World.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am about to book AS flights in cash for the first time for the family of 4. I don't have experience in booking US domestic flights (we live Down Under). I am looking at one-way SFO-TPA ($229 on Main) or SFO-MCO flight ($259 on Main) just before New Year.

1) The Saver Fare: Can a family of 4 sit together, or they will be seated anywhere there are spaces left (i.e. they will be separated)? it is $40 cheaper for each person but my wife may not like it if we are seated apart.

2) I am QR Gold, can I credit miles to my AS account, whilst getting lounge access and free 1 checked-in luggage allowance as QR Gold?

3) Will there be sales of AS tickets on regular basis? Or I should just bite the bullet and buy it now given the flight is just before New Year?

4) Maybe off-topic, TPA is cheaper than MCO on flight prices, is there any disadvantage of flying to TPA, than MCO, apart from longer drive to Disney World? We will be staying near Disney World.
1) Saver tickets let you select seats from the last several rows of the aircraft, so if there are open seats together you can book them. If nothing is available then you'll be assigned randomly at check-in; in this case it's possible that you'll be separated.

2) I don't know

3) There used to be better sales. With the way things have been going lately, if you find a fare that fits your budget I would book it.

4) TPA is infinitely easier to navigate than MCO. Make sure you check rental cars or whatever ground transportation you choose as well.

-J.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:57 am

How can I update my FFP# on AS (award) reservation? At booking where you add the pax info, it was only Alaska and no other options.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by mlqsko
How can I update my FFP# on AS (award) reservation? At booking where you add the pax info, it was only Alaska and no other options.
I could be wrong, but one would think that if you are using Alaska miles to book an Alaska award, the reservation would have to be linked to the Alaska account Maybe you can call in and ask them to add a second FFP to the reservation. I asked AA to do something similar recently and somehow ended up with two FFPs on the reservation.

-J.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I could be wrong, but one would think that if you are using Alaska miles to book an Alaska award, the reservation would have to be linked to the Alaska account Maybe you can call in and ask them to add a second FFP to the reservation. I asked AA to do something similar recently and somehow ended up with two FFPs on the reservation.

-J.
I have AS miles to redeem but my AS status has expired and I have a current BAEC.

Someone tipped me off to leave AS number blank at pax info page and use the app to update the FFP# after ticketing.

It worked.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
hi there - recently dropped from 75k to MVP basic -- are there award cancellation fees for MVP (excl partner/phone booking)? Website doesn't list them out but there is reference to cancellation fees.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky

<snip>
2) Why do you have a AS ff account? From your profile you have QR & QF ff accounts (Oneworld). SQ is also a AS ff partner. "Programs: QR/SQ/VA Gold, QF Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold"
QR Gold (OW S) will give you USA domestic lounge access on AS/AA flights. If you have a QR Gold (OWS) physical card and another ffn in the reservation it can be problematic if you will get lounge and luggage benefits. If those benefits are only for you (with status) or others in your party, is another question. Others will know the answer.
Keep it simple.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
How do benefits work for flight booked on United?

I have never seen this before, but found it via Google Flights.. There's an option to book an itinerary including an AS flight on United.com.

Does anyone know how elite benefits (premium class, upgrade) and mileage earning would work for this? Would I be able to use AS MVP account? What about AAdvantage account? (I am only MVP w/ Alaska but Exec Plat w/ AA). Also Silver with United, but I assume that doesn't do anything for me on the AS flight.

San Diego to New York/Newark
9:05 am to 5:35 pm
Duration: 5h 30m
Flight Number: AS 772
Aircraft type: Boeing 737-900
Operated By Alaska Airlines

Connection 2 of 2
New York/Newark to Washington
8:10 pm to 9:38 pm
Duration: 1h 28m
Flight Number: UA 4171
Aircraft type: Canadair Regional Jet 550
Operated By Gojet Airlines dba United Express

The United "what do I earn" explicitly excludes the AS segment from UA earning.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by soartoday
I have never seen this before, but found it via Google Flights.. There's an option to book an itinerary including an AS flight on United.com.

Does anyone know how elite benefits (premium class, upgrade) and mileage earning would work for this? Would I be able to use AS MVP account? What about AAdvantage account? (I am only MVP w/ Alaska but Exec Plat w/ AA). Also Silver with United, but I assume that doesn't do anything for me on the AS flight.

San Diego to New York/Newark
9:05 am to 5:35 pm
Duration: 5h 30m
Flight Number: AS 772
Aircraft type: Boeing 737-900
Operated By Alaska Airlines

Connection 2 of 2
New York/Newark to Washington
8:10 pm to 9:38 pm
Duration: 1h 28m
Flight Number: UA 4171
Aircraft type: Canadair Regional Jet 550
Operated By Gojet Airlines dba United Express

The United "what do I earn" explicitly excludes the AS segment from UA earning.
You can use one FF number for AS and a different one for UA. A TA can do this without issue, but if you don't know how to do this when booking the easiest/safest way is probably to ask for the number you want at the airport for the second flight and make sure the correct number appears on each boarding pass. Also save the boarding passes in case you need to request missing credit later.

There's no risk of crediting to the wrong program since the two flights cannot be credited to the same program. You have to be a bit more careful when that's not the case, such as using two numbers on two different oneworld carriers on the same booking.

There is no benefit to using a non partner number on a flight, so if you book something like this using two different numbers is the way to go.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG (OWS)
Weird stuff with Condor

I booked a 3-flight itinerary on Condor (DE) that includes a first leg on AS, a second on DE, and a third on LH. The CSRs at DE have not been helpful. Folks on AS MVPG line and were able to find the AS PNR pretty easily, which I used to add the flight to the AS mobile app. That said, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add the AS MP number in a way that AS can see it so that I'm in the upgrade list, can check an extra bag, have access to international lounges, and so on.

The CSR at DE claims they were able to add my AS MP numbers to the reservation but there's no indication on the AS side (or the DE side in any place I can see, for that matter) that this has been done. <shrug> Although things look fine in the DE system, my name in the AS app shows up as <FIRSTNAME> Mr <LASTNAME> and DE claims they cannot see this. Because my middle name isn't "Mr" as far as AS or anybody else is concerned, neither the AS App nor the folks at AS seem to be able to add the MP number in a way that the AS system can see it. AS told me to call DE to fix it. DE only responded to say that, in any case, they can't change names in any way because the itinerary involves other airlines.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do to get my status reflected in the reservation for that first leg? Will I be able to add the MP number at the airport during checkin? Will I need to be requesting retroactive miles after the flight?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mlqsko
I have AS miles to redeem but my AS status has expired and I have a current BAEC.

Someone tipped me off to leave AS number blank at pax info page and use the app to update the FFP# after ticketing.

It worked.
Good for you that it worked!

I encounter somewhat similar situation. I tried to ADD my AA EXP status into my AS account, so bookings on AS metal will reflect oneworld elite status. I update my AA status on AS successfully, but I am still blocked from seats selection normally open to AS & oneworld Elites.

I did I do wrong?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:04 pm

Just wondering, is AS cutting down their award availability to partners airlines now? (due to staff shortage perhaps)
Cause it's really hard to find available seats using both British and American airlines websites.
Thanks for any reply, I'm new to the award booking arena.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dragone7e
Just wondering, is AS cutting down their award availability to partners airlines now? (due to staff shortage perhaps)
Cause it's really hard to find available seats using both British and American airlines websites.
Thanks for any reply, I'm new to the award booking arena.
They're having a hard time running 100% of their schedule with paid passengers. Don’t expect much award availability for partners until that changes.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:01 pm

That's what I thought too.
Thanks for the feedback!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.