Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by brytpa
Hi all. Question for the Mileage Plan experts here (ok... maybe more than one question).

I created a Mileage Plan account last year because I was starting to fly to PDX and SEA from RNO often and Alaska usually had the best flight options for those routes. When I created my Mileage Plan account, I tied my AAdvantage account to it so I could get things like free checked bags, One World Elite seat selection and so on (I'm AAdvantage Gold/One World Ruby). I've been noticing the miles I earn only go to my AAdvantage account now, even when flying and booking through Alaska. I didn't much care about that and was fine earning them to my American AAdvantage account, but recently found out I'd be relocating to PDX for work and so I'd be flying Alaska even more going forward.

So my main question is:

- Should I switch to earn with Mileage Plan instead? Would doing so be better for requalifying and maintaining status, and would it be better since I'll likely be flying Alaska more or will it not make a difference since I have status with AA and OW already?

Bonus question - If I fly on Alaska and count those miles towards Mileage Plan earning and status (vs. AAdvantage), would those flights on Alaska still count towards MillionMiler with American? I'm 140k miles away from 1M which is the main reason I've stuck with AA instead of AS to this point as I wanna just go ahead and hit that 1M mark.

Thanks in advance!
You kind of need to do a little research on the earning requirements for the elite level you want to end up at and choose which program you want to use based on which makes most sense for your current/future flying patterns. AS is all based on distance flown (at least for their metal, partners can be less than based on fare class) and there's no spend requirement, where it sounds like AA is shifting to a purely dollars spent on tickets or AA credit card model. It's also rare that you'll be able to earn miles in one program (say Alaska) while using the benefits from another one (American), though others may know if there are tricks to getting that to work..

Can pretty much guarantee that AA will not give you credit toward MM if you're banking the miles into AS MileagePlan.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This is my first time looking at AA codeshare flights (sold through the AS website) since AS joined OneWorld. Will I earn mileage via the chart (Q fare, so in this case only 25% of miles flown) or since I am booking via AS site (and my connecting flight is also AS) will I earn the full 100% miles flown (as if it is an AS flight)? Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ssk244
This is my first time looking at AA codeshare flights (sold through the AS website) since AS joined OneWorld. Will I earn mileage via the chart (Q fare, so in this case only 25% of miles flown) or since I am booking via AS site (and my connecting flight is also AS) will I earn the full 100% miles flown (as if it is an AS flight)? Thanks!
​​​​​​
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

Earning on flights marketed by Alaska Airlines, and operated by AmericanAirlines (flights purchased as Alaska Airlines flights (AS) 4000-4799, 6000-6999 and 8001-8100) earn miles based on the Alaska Airlines earning chart.​​​​​​
ssk244 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by remyjette
Thank you!!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Booked two AA itineraries on aa.com and used my ASMP #. Both had schedule changes and I rescheduled and the fare classes were changed.

LGA-DFW-SLC originally booked into O, now same routing but allegedly in Y (!).
SLC-CLT-JFK originally booked into Q, now SLC-PHX-JFK but booked into S.

Will I earn miles based on the original fare classes or these new ones? According to the AA earning chart, I earn a higher percentage on these new classes.

-J.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Will I earn miles based on the original fare classes or these new ones? According to the AA earning chart, I earn a higher percentage on these new classes.
Typically it's based on the original fare basis. I suppose there are instances where you could win the lottery, but I believe even when rebooked the ticket usually notes the originally purchased fare basis.

Should I switch to earn with Mileage Plan instead? Would doing so be better for requalifying and maintaining status, and would it be better since I'll likely be flying Alaska more or will it not make a difference since I have status with AA and OW already?
This depends. How did you earn that AA status, and will you re-earn that status (or better) in their new program? You'll have to do your own math on that. If you're primarily flying on Alaska metal, you'll typically have a better experience with an equivalent Alaska elite tier. If you were EXP on AA and just MVP on Alaska, however, that would vary. You need to do the math and figure out what you'd be in each.

If I fly on Alaska and count those miles towards Mileage Plan earning and status (vs. AAdvantage), would those flights on Alaska still count towards MillionMiler with American? I'm 140k miles away from 1M which is the main reason I've stuck with AA instead of AS to this point as I wanna just go ahead and hit that 1M mark.
Only flights on AAdvantage-program airlines count for AA's Million Miler status. That's AA and AA codeshares today. 1MM on AA will get you Gold, so again, you'll have to do the math on whether that's worthwhile. I'm < 15K from 1MM myself but still find it hard to credit anything to AA to cross that line as I value my AS status and miles more now and get most of the Gold benefits with an AA credit card.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Typically it's based on the original fare basis. I suppose there are instances where you could win the lottery, but I believe even when rebooked the ticket usually notes the originally purchased fare basis.
Thanks, someone else told me that as well but I wanted to confirm with the community.

Do you know if I will earn on my actual routing or just ORC? It's not enough to get me out of a mileage run, but extra points are extra points.

-J.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: Alaska, American
I have a late-afternoon meeting on a Friday the East Coast. I don't know if it'll end in time for me to catch the last flight back to LAX. Is it a violation if I book the Friday evening flight and a Saturday morning flight? (I'd want to book both ahead of time so that I'm not stuck joining the Saturday morning flight after all upgrades have been processed).

Thanks,
-HD
samosa likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
<deleted>...
Bonus question - If I fly on Alaska and count those miles towards Mileage Plan earning and status (vs. AAdvantage), would those flights on Alaska still count towards MillionMiler with American? I'm 140k miles away from 1M which is the main reason I've stuck with AA instead of AS to this point as I wanna just go ahead and hit that 1M mark.

Thanks in advance!
This was the position I was in five years ago when I moved to SEA. I'm about 150k miles from MM on AA. My conclusion was it just wasn't worth the effort and lost value accruing AA miles vs. AS miles. The approximately 290K miles (270K in the three years pre-Covid) I've earned toward AS MM status in the past five years would have translated into far less RDM and EQM earnings on AA. When you take a look at what AA MM (AA Gold/OW Ruby) benefits would be derived, it didn't make sense to continue the pursuit.
kalderlake and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by humdinger
I have a late-afternoon meeting on a Friday the East Coast. I don't know if it'll end in time for me to catch the last flight back to LAX. Is it a violation if I book the Friday evening flight and a Saturday morning flight? (I'd want to book both ahead of time so that I'm not stuck joining the Saturday morning flight after all upgrades have been processed).

Thanks,
-HD
Technically, yes, it is a violation to book a flight that you don't intend to take. That said, if you don't make a habit of it, you will be fine.
samosa, be_rettSEA and humdinger like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Thanks,
-HD
I'm not really sure. I have two tickets booked in March, LAX-EWR and SAN-JFK (I actually also have a SAN-EWR award booked on another carrier). I will be in SAN for the DO and am not sure if I will fly straight home or drive up to LAX to visit a friend. I intend to cancel the ticket I end up not using.

-J.
humdinger likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Alaska, American
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Technically, yes, it is a violation to book a flight that you don't intend to take. That said, if you don't make a habit of it, you will be fine.
I decided to call and ask. The lady who helped me said "yeah, that's fine since the two flights are on different days. The computer won't catch it. But please be kind and cancel the one you don't use, although looking at your status level you probably aren't booking saver fares".

There's a few things implied in there.
1) It's fine
2) It's not fine, but the computer won't catch it
3) The biggest concern seems to be regarding saver fares

So, nothing concrete, but I thought I'd share my experience.

-HD
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
Thanks for the info, all! Spend part of the morning looking in to things more and I'll likely start throwing my eggs in to the Alaska basket. AA Gold/OW Ruby will suit me well enough while I transfer my earning to AS (seat selection, baggage fee stuff, etc) and then hopefully can qualify with AS going forward since PDX will be my home airport soon enough!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks for the info, all! Spend part of the morning looking in to things more and I'll likely start throwing my eggs in to the Alaska basket. AA Gold/OW Ruby will suit me well enough while I transfer my earning to AS (seat selection, baggage fee stuff, etc) and then hopefully can qualify with AS going forward since PDX will be my home airport soon enough!
AS out of PDX is a nice fit. There are plenty of direct flights but even more options with a quick trip up through SEA. Honestly, I often route through SEA purposely just to get a few extra miles and enjoy some time in the amazing N lounge.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I decided to call and ask. The lady who helped me said "yeah, that's fine since the two flights are on different days. The computer won't catch it. But please be kind and cancel the one you don't use, although looking at your status level you probably aren't booking saver fares".

There's a few things implied in there.
1) It's fine
2) It's not fine, but the computer won't catch it
3) The biggest concern seems to be regarding saver fares

So, nothing concrete, but I thought I'd share my experience.

-HD
Good info and thanks for sharing. I do a bit of booking flights a few days apart (and canceling one) since my schedule can change a lot at the last minute. I've never done two on the same day or even within 1 day. It's usually 3 or 4 days apart and I can usually cancel several days ahead. I figure I'm pushing it but have never heard anything. I'll report here if I ever do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.