Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair (AY) Seattle-Helsinki Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Finnair (AY) Seattle-Helsinki Flights

Next summer AY will fly thrice aweek SEA-HEL. New possibilities for MVP members to spend miles. AY will propably codeshare on many AS flights to/from SEA.

Finnair press release
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and J redemptions from other AS points will look really attractive until you realize that the TATL segment is actually in Y
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
and J redemptions from other AS points will look really attractive until you realize that the TATL segment is actually in Y
Is that a real thing? I tried to check a couple of dates in June 2022 but Finnair doesn't seem to (yet?) be one of the airlines available on the web site for award bookings, so what I see are mostly Iceland Air flights.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by tai4de2
Is that a real thing? I tried to check a couple of dates in June 2022 but Finnair doesn't seem to (yet?) be one of the airlines available on the web site for award bookings, so what I see are mostly Iceland Air flights.
Finnair can be booked on the AS website and has been for some time now. But until they added SEA, only a few of their US flights actually made sense for Alaska connections.
nordic and buschoi like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
In the past several months I've seen most Finnair award availability out of ORD, LAX, and JFK, with at least two Alaska flights from ANC on the award itinerary to get to the Finnair departure point.

In the past few weeks when I search I see a bunch of Iceland Air and not really any Finnair. Will be curious to see if any Finnair flights from SEA show up in the award searches.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Both of my redemptions in July are very much in J with AS flights to the gateway in Saver E.

I have also seen options out of JFK, ORD & DFW.

James
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
aaaaand just like clockwork, there’s the “nyah, nyah” counterexample

my comment was about the all-too-well-known situation of AS+partner awards pricing as J on the Search Results page but showing the overwater portion in coach when actually booking

sure, if you find J from a gateway (DFW has availability most T/Th/Sat in July) you can always construct your own AS add-on(s), but outside the FT community that probably isn’t a frequent tactic
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
aaaaand just like clockwork, there’s the “nyah, nyah” counterexample

my comment was about the all-too-well-known situation of AS+partner awards pricing as J on the Search Results page but showing the overwater portion in coach when actually booking

sure, if you find J from a gateway (DFW has availability most T/Th/Sat in July) you can always construct your own AS add-on(s), but outside the FT community that probably isn’t a frequent tactic
Why wouldn't you start at the gateway and work back? The website tells you it is a mixed cabin itinerary. From some cities, the Y segment is to the gateway because there is no F service from the outstation. Should the website just say there is no J space from those cities, ever?

Claiming all overwater flights are only Y just isn't correct. You confirmed that and contradicted yourself at the same time. But at least you shared that flights are available in J in July. Trying to diminish that as a tactic likely not used outside the FlyerTalk Community wasn't necessary.

James
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
FinnAir is an incredible airline, and for the SEA based flyers here, this is great for you.

I just got back from a few weeks in Europe. LAX-HEL-DUS and CPH-HEL-ARN-LAX coming home. Beautiful planes with great legroom in Y, good service, and HEL is an easy airport to connect in.

Plus, if you purchase Economy Saver, you earn much more than you would on BA/AA.
mildfrequence and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I was searching this earlier today.

Has anyone see any space yet?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa

A picture being worth 1000 words, etc…
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by beckoa

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
A picture being worth 1000 words, etc…
My wife and I are on an award nonstop AY SEA-HEL flight next summer.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanillabean
My wife and I are on an award nonstop AY SEA-HEL flight next summer.
Perhaps more properly stated, "My wife and I are booked on an AY award nonstop that will hopefully operate with no material schedule change for travel next summer."

[We can discuss the accuracy of your posting skills at some point, over coffee.]
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
When SAS announced 10 years ago, the discontinuation of 42 year old non-stop service to Scandinavia's Copenhagen, I was so disappointed. Glad a different Scandinavian airline stepped up to the plate.

Jiburi
milski likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
When SAS announced 10 years ago, the discontinuation of 42 year old non-stop service to Scandinavia's Copenhagen, I was so disappointed. Glad a different Scandinavian airline stepped up to the plate.
The Finnish might not agree that Finland is part of Scandinavia https://www.scandinaviastandard.com/...ian-countries/

Finnair is a great airline, I used to fly back and forth between LHR and HEL a lot around 2006-2007. Never flew them long-haul though. Helsinki airport is great, and even in winter with potentially a lot of snow operations are perfect.
ACBLtd, Speedbird84, PABE and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.