Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Flight canceled for snow advisory in seattle 12/6/2021

Flight canceled for snow advisory in seattle 12/6/2021

Old Dec 6, 21, 10:27 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Canceling the Maui flight is cold, both in a weather and an ironic way.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 10:30 am

Looks like nearly NO flights arriving or departing are cancelled. Sheesh. Tempest in a teapot. OP though has every right to be PO'd

https://www.portseattle.org/sea-tac/departing
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 10:37 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Canceling the Maui flight is cold, both in a weather and an ironic way.
OGG was completely shut down for awhile last night due to a power outage. We had a wicked storm here in Hawaii yesterday with worse to come today. Massive flooding experienced and expected and Maui is under a flash flood warning. I suspect that is why it was canceled.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/1...ain-increases/

A flood watch is also in effect statewide through Tuesday afternoon. And a high wind warning remains up for the summits of Maui and the Big Island.
Old Dec 6, 21, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could have been on the MKE end due to wind in the Midwest as there are numerous wind advisories out now. The wind is pretty crazy outside right now where I'm at (near DTW). https://www.weather.gov/ I don't think I'd want to be flying in the area today if avoidable.
tonei likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Could have been on the MKE end due to wind in the Midwest as there are numerous wind advisories out now. The wind is pretty crazy outside right now where I'm at (near DTW). https://www.weather.gov/ I don't think I'd want to be flying in the area today if avoidable.
But OP was told “snow advisory” - is there snow forecast for MKE? (not per my app)

Perhaps snow advisory wherever the plane came from, causing cascading cancels.

Ultimately, though, the issue is not the cancellation but the lack of recovery.
Old Dec 6, 21, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
But OP was told “snow advisory” - is there snow forecast for MKE? (not per my app)

incoming plane typically coming in from Southern California position. (For the past several weeks).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
no problem with cancelling. If it’s directly “weather related” and letting things fall where they may.

my potential issue is using “weather” in this case snow flurries as a get out of jail free card for carriers and in this case Alaska for which many of us on this site have deep and long standing status relationship that are meaningful not when everything is going great but when we face challenges and look for a partnership to support and “reasonably “ accommodate.

getting me on a flight that is directly able to purchase on an Alaska site seemed reasonable to me as opposed to making me at the last 22 hours do a lot of gymnastics to accommodate a phantom snow storm.
the era of rebooking thru other airlines when cancellation occurs is pretty much non-existent now.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
My weather app (Dark Sky) shows light rain at SEA.

I guess an airline named after the sunshine state of Alaska can’t really be expected to fly where snow might occur.
Yeah forecasts aren’t always correct. Wasn’t defending Alaska’s decision, just noting that (as of 12 hours ago) snow was projected at one point.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Plat.
I am scheduled on the MKE-SEA flight on Tuesday, Dec. 7th. Was a very light load. Thought it odd that with more than half of F empty UG was not clearing. Looked again a few hours later and only 2 F seats open. Investigated and saw that Monday's flight was canceled. Looked like everyone was pushed to Tuesday's flight. Whether this afternoon and for Tuesday in MKE is very cold and clear. It looks from my understanding that AS had planned or hoped to cancel Monday's flight due to light loads.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's some snow in forecast. Just speculating the agent may have saw something about it be weather related and just assumed it was due to snow. Flightstats shows the cancellation was loaded at 2:33PM PST on Sunday.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY View Post
I am scheduled on the MKE-SEA flight on Tuesday, Dec. 7th. Was a very light load. Thought it odd that with more than half of F empty UG was not clearing. Looked again a few hours later and only 2 F seats open. Investigated and saw that Monday's flight was canceled. Looked like everyone was pushed to Tuesday's flight. Whether this afternoon and for Tuesday in MKE is very cold and clear. It looks from my understanding that AS had planned or hoped to cancel Monday's flight due to light loads.
how convenient.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the aircraft that was originally scheduled to fly SEA-MKE (N263AK) is now being used to fly SEA-MSY (AS794) today. It arrived on time this morning from PHX.
Old Dec 6, 21, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
FWIW, the aircraft that was originally scheduled to fly SEA-MKE (N263AK) is now being used to fly SEA-MSY (AS794) today. It arrived on time this morning from PHX.
And what happened to the aircraft that was originally scheduled to fly SEA-MSY?
Old Dec 6, 21, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what happened to the aircraft that was originally scheduled to fly SEA-MSY?
Ha, yeah, I looked at that. It was originally loaded with N288AK, and then switched to N237AK, before finally switching to N263AK. It kind of felt like I was going down a rathole at that point.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N288AK
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N237AK
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Yeah forecasts aren’t always correct. Wasn’t defending Alaska’s decision, just noting that (as of 12 hours ago) snow was projected at one point.
"Aren't always correct". LMAO. Here in the PNW, or at least the seattle area, they are more often wrong than correct.

Cancelling flights because of possible Seattle light snow forecast 12-24 hours in advance is like betting on the Seahawks to be Superbowl champs after seeing them make one TD in the pre-season. I firmly believe the meteorologists here have no clue what's going to happen and just update the weather in real time as they walk outside or look out a window and/or throw in a chance of snow/windstorm/lightning for some good clicks/ratings.
Speedbird84 likes this.

Search this Thread