Using Gifted Alaska Lounge Passes?

Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
Using Gifted Alaska Lounge Passes?

I'm a lounge member so planning to give my 4 lounge codes expiring this year to friends and family. Do you know if a single code will allow entry of more than one person? Or do I need to give two of my four codes away to a couple travelling?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
If you talking about our standard (bonus) code come with 75K , one code per person.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks. And yes, I'm talking about the codes you get at 75K.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
As a personal data point, I've had issues using my 75K lounge passes/codes for my partner (traveling without me), even though I booked her flight with miles from my account, etc.

I was not a lounge member at the time, but I think we tried two separate lounges (I think SEA & LAX). Both times the lizards said either I have to be present or contact the lounge 24hrs in advance to let them know someone would be using one of my lounge passes.

Not exactly sure on the policy, but you may need to contact the lounge a day or two before they fly so they can enter.

Hope it all works out!
VaguelyAsian likes this.

Last edited by mixmastermark; Dec 1, 2021 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
As a personal data point, I've had issues using my 75K lounge passes/codes for my partner (traveling without me), even though I booked her flight with miles from my account, etc.

I was not a lounge member at the time, but I think we tried two separate lounges (I think SEA & LAX). Both times the lizards said either I have to be present or contact the lounge 24hrs in advance to let them know someone would be using one of my lounge passes.

Not exactly sure on the policy, but you may need to contact the lounge a day or two before they fly so they can enter.

Hope it all works out!
That is not policy. You should report it to Customer Care.
PlowJockey and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:21 pm

[From 2019] That is what I thought as well, and I immediately reached out to Alaska when she texted me that the lounge wouldn't let her in.

As you can see below, AS told me the same as they said to her at the lounge: that either I need to be there with her or contact the lounge 24hrs in advance. Seemed really strange to me. This was in Jan 2019.

I recall thinking 'letting them know in advance' was especially absurd unless one has a crystal ball. I only sent her my 75K lounge codes and told her to use the lounge after her flight was cancelled + rebooked with a weather delay 2.5hrs. Her original connection was too short for a visit otherwise.
VaguelyAsian likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 1, 2021 at 4:26 pm Reason: Add year for context.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
If there is a new policy, they need to update the terms of the program. So long as she had the codes and your name, she should have been allowed entry per the terms listed on the elite status benefits page (screengrab below). It says nothing about a requirement to email 24 hours in advance.

Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k
That is what I thought as well, and I immediately reached out to Alaska when she texted me that the lounge wouldn't let her in.

As you can see below, AS told me the same as they said to her at the lounge: that either I need to be there with her or contact the lounge 24hrs in advance. Seemed really strange to me. This was in Jan 2019.
IIRC, there was a (relatively) short period of time 2-3 years ago when this was policy. I think AS changed it after a lot of 75ks complained.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:00 pm

She had all my codes, my name, MP#, etc

This was in 2019, so they must have updated their lounge access policy since then.

Good to know for the future!
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Hope it all works out!
Years ago, before I was a lounge member, I had a 75K give me a lounge pass and all I had was the lounge pass code which was not sufficient for entry so I was turned away (at PDX). I think as others have mentioned the "official" policy is that the lounge member doesn't have to physically be present, but there has been enough variation in this policy over the years that it really depends on which agent you get at the lounge. At the very least, come prepared with the name AND MP #. I don't think the code alone is enough information and honestly the only way you're going to 100% guarantee entry is if the 75K is physically present which I always thought was an odd policy since if they give you a GGU code #, you can upgrade without any further information.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Years ago, before I was a lounge member, I had a 75K give me a lounge pass and all I had was the lounge pass code which was not sufficient for entry so I was turned away (at PDX). I think as others have mentioned the "official" policy is that the lounge member doesn't have to physically be present, but there has been enough variation in this policy over the years that it really depends on which agent you get at the lounge. At the very least, come prepared with the name AND MP #. I don't think the code alone is enough information and honestly the only way you're going to 100% guarantee entry is if the 75K is physically present which I always thought was an odd policy since if they give you a GGU code #, you can upgrade without any further information.
Isn't there some contradiction about AS telling members to never give their MP# to anyone yet requiring it in this instance? I seem to remember that coming up in other threads. Just another instance of AS not implementing something cleanly/clearly. If I didn't know any better I'd swear my ex-wife was running the place. Both are masters at confusing/inconsistent policies and statements
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
As a data point, I gave my partner one of my codes yesterday and she used it at the ANC lounge with no issues.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
The agents at the entrance have a difficult job of applying rules and needing to be alert for scammers and grifters.

A couple of years ago, I helped a family member who was unexpectedly stuck in an airport. All I needed to do was provide them with one of my pass codes which was accepted.

I hope this is the method that continues to work.

I also hope, people don't try to "game" or otherwise abuse the system and be the cause for rules that make it difficult for the rest of us.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I will provide the access code and my MP information and wish them luck.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

I have offered/given away my lounge passes and GGUs in the past via Missydarlin to traveling military. Didn’t require my MP# based on the PMs I just reviewed. Don’t have anything to give away at the moment, but sharing my MP# with my spouse wouldn’t be an issue, but with a stranger not even known to me… probably not.

Regarding contacting the AS lounge in advance, how would that even work. Do they have published contact info somewhere? https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours doesn't have it.

Now that AS has a worthwhile lounge in SEA (and SFO?) I might actually use my own passes
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.