Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS297 PDX>SFO Loses Engine - Safely Returns (11/24/2021)

Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

Just happened a couple hours ago. Thankfully, it looks like everyone is okay!!

anteater likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The VX engine finally realized it wasn't working for VX anymore, got a good look at its new uniform, had a tantrum, and quit!

(Glad everyone is safe.)
milski, Mahogany, 985X and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
PTL!
Good to hear everyone is safe.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Yes
I bet this mechanical issue impacted drink services. That would be my comment to Customer Care! /s

🙌🏻
mtofell, be_rettSEA and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:58 pm

Technically, it did not "lose" the engine, which remained firmly attached to the plane. It just lost the functioning of that engine. Glad to hear that a safe landing was accomplished!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Technically, it did not "lose" the engine, which remained firmly attached to the plane. It just lost the functioning of that engine. Glad to hear that a safe landing was accomplished!
I didn't "lose" my job.... it's still there. It's just that someone else is now doing it
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:48 pm

Yeah, I was like, did it fall off? Nope. Just stopped working.
buschoi likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

"Losing an engine" is a pretty standard term for a failure. Up the this point I've been encouraged that the average poster here at FT is well educated and picks up on non-literal speak. I'm now realizing I may have misread the room. Moving forward, I'll adjust my posts to align with my time in engineering school where everyone talks like robots being held at gunpoint..... just to be sure the conversation can be quickly and accurately digested by everyone.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by anteater
I bet this mechanical issue impacted drink services. That would be my comment to Customer Care! /s

🙌🏻
but did the plane have lie flat seats?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by anteater

🙌🏻
Funny you mention this. Once upon a time, on a 747 (probably 200, but maybe 400) on an airline obviously not AS but known for actual friendly skies at the time, shortly after HNL departure, it was clear we weren't going to make it across the Pacific. Notwithstanding the fact that we'd be landing @ HNL about an hour after departure to a parade of fire engines, the crew made sure those of us in front of the curtain (I don't recall being upstairs, but it was possible) had a nice beverage service until we were on final approach to Fire Engine Runway.

This incident made me not keen on taking sleep substances, at least nothing stronger than a Benadryl or similar, on an overnight flight. (Not generally an issue with AS' longest flight stages, nor on that particular flight, but just for the proposition that you can end up landing and need some wits about you at unforeseen times).
anteater and be_rettSEA like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.