Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SFO Opens Terminal 2 <---> Terminal 3 Airside Connector

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Opens Terminal 2 <---> Terminal 3 Airside Connector

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by skyblue
The next step is for AS to move to T1, which might end up leapfrogging completion of the B-C connection. Nothing has been finalized yet, but the plan is to move in late 2023 or into 2024. (This is based on what our SFO station leadership has told us.)
seems very weird to do that now that the lounge is open in T2...
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
seems very weird to do that now that the lounge is open in T2...
Not really, given it will potentially have a few years of total life, and didn't require a new buildout.

From the Everything Old Is New Again department, in my AS lifetime, B to A to D to potentially a new B. For those that may not recall, old B (South Terminal, Gates 20 to 30-something) was slowly sinking.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The next step is for AS to move to T1, which might end up leapfrogging completion of the B-C connection. Nothing has been finalized yet, but the plan is to move in late 2023 or into 2024. (This is based on what our SFO station leadership has told us.)
I guess we'll see what it looks like. Currently I much prefer T2 to T1, D concourse is incredibly compact compared to B.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Silly question but is T2 airside-connected to Int'l-A?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by italdesign
Some day it will be but right now only the B gates connect to A. The rest of T-1 has not been completed. Once that is done they will be able to connect them.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Originally Posted by italdesign
No. There is a gap between T2 and T1/Intl A, as the north end of T1 is under construction.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
T2 airside-connected to Int'l-A is scheduled to be completed in 2024.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
T2 airside-connected to Int'l-A is scheduled to be completed in 2024.
Do you know if the exit by C gates would reopen prior to that?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:52 pm

so why are they doing this? The only explanation I can think of is a teardown of the terrible c concourse which is on the books. also where would the new AS lounge go? they already have a beautiful one in T2
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cardude2
so why are they doing this? The only explanation I can think of is a teardown of the terrible c concourse which is on the books. also where would the new AS lounge go? they already have a beautiful one in T2
Obviously it is to get into the same Terminal as their One World partners. They have 10 gates in T2 so if, and that is a big if, they move to T1, I would expect them to get at least the same number of gates. As for the C concourse, where Delta is located, they are not tearing it down. On the SFO site, it states it it is due for a refresh .
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Obviously it is to get into the same Terminal as their One World partners.
Partners? The only OW airline in T1 is AA. I don't think it makes any sense at all to move just to be next to AA at SFO. The two airline don't have complementary networks from SFO; rather, they compete on several routes.

My guess would be that SFO offered them a deal. UA probably wants more real estate in T2.
Repooc17 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
Partners? The only OW airline in T1 is AA. I don't think it makes any sense at all to move just to be next to AA at SFO. The two airline don't have complementary networks from SFO; rather, they compete on several routes.

My guess would be that SFO offered them a deal. UA probably wants more real estate in T2.
It does get AS much closer to all the OW International partners.
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:22 am

RE: AS to T1

Ah, assuming flying out of the country will be a thing again relatively soon, T1's (I know, not a short walk, but at least no security hassles) ease connecting with Int'l A seems like a natural fit for AS, especially if they're going to ferry lots of pax to those TPACs. Now, what do they do newly minted T2 lounge?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Visconti
Now, what do they do newly minted T2 lounge?
Take the sign down, unplug the pancake machine, have a big soup and booze party, and put the furniture in storage/use it as replacements in their other lounges? They thankfully didn't have to spend much on build-out (compared to a brand new lounge), so am sure just shutting it down and letting folks use the AA club until they figure out a new SFO lounge if/when it makes financial sense isn't too much of a loss.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It does get AS much closer to all the OW International partners.
It will be closer only if they're not way out at the end of B concourse. Because that's a long walk all the way around to A. If they're in C, it will be marginally closer (3 minutes or so) but that wouldn't really seem enough to me to justify the move.

More generally, while I'd love to see AS develop SFO into a true hub with meaningful international connections, right now it's not even close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.