Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Just Short of Elite - How to Keep Your Status

Just Short of Elite - How to Keep Your Status

Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by cragAK
I wonder how close I have to be to 10k to keep gold. I have a few flights planned next year, and some quick napkin math puts me in the ballpark of 10k, but I'm not sure how AS adds the miles up. Is there a lookup I can use online to calculate for sure what my expected mileage would be after those flights?
On the website and app (under flight details) it has flight distance info, not always the same as how many award miles you'll get but close enough to check

"Distance noted reflects trip length, and may not accurately reflect frequent flyer miles earned. Please refer to your frequent flyer program terms and conditions to determine miles earned."
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by frankvb
Though that chart only contains data about miles earned on AS. OW/airline partners have charts with both elite-qualifying and base and bonus miles. It would be very disappointing (and illogical IMHO) if elite-qualifying miles based on booking class would not count.

I might be able to go for the 20K miles but only if class-of-service miles are counted.
See 2022 Q1 keep your status details out

Poster there was told that fare class bonus doesn't count. Also you can't go for a lower level status than you currently have (which I was going to ask about).
frankvb likes this.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Dec 10, 2021 at 6:28 pm Reason: add comment
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I probably think the normal class of service bonus would apply for First class in terms of this offer....but exclusive of any 50% EQM bonus that may pop up.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I probably think the normal class of service bonus would apply for First class in terms of this offer....but exclusive of any 50% EQM bonus that may pop up.
Nope, I was told by customer service that first/biz class fare bonus doesn't count, only the <=100% base miles so it's not as easy as a long-haul business class round trip.
frankvb likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:53 pm

This is no different than the status challenge except it looks like partner miles also count. Only butt in seat miles count. No class bonus.
Boraxo and frankvb like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Gold Guest 2022 query

So if we are MVPGs into April 2022 will AS also provide us four more Gold Guest coupons on 1/1/22?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I plugged my flights into that (ANC-SEA-LAX-ANC & ANC-SEA-TUS-SEA-ANC) and got 10,073. Haven't booked the Tucson stuff yet so I cant see it on the Alaska website, but the ANC-SEA-LAX-ANC on Alaska's site is only 8 miles less than that website so I think I should be good to hit 10k without an extra trip to Fairbanks.

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JPat
So if we are MVPGs into April 2022 will AS also provide us four more Gold Guest coupons on 1/1/22?
I am sure you will get 4 GGUs when you retain MVPG for 2023. That isn't possible to do on January 1st, 2022.

Saving "4 more" would indicate you already earned 4 GGUs at MVPG in 2021 and your status isn't being extended because you earned it organically.

If you are MVPG in 2021 & haven't retained MVPG for 2022 by December 31st, 2021 then your status is extended until April 30th, 2022. During that time, you are working towards 2023 status & an extension of 2022 status to December 31st, 2022 if you meet the 10K BIS miles.

I don't think it is likely that you will earn 4 GGUs during the extended re-qualification period for 2022 but would earn 4 GGUs if you earn 40K EQM & fly 6 segments on AS medal in 2022 which would qualify you for MVPG status in 2023.

Of course if you don't get 4 GGUs at MVPG you will get 4 GGUs at MVPG75K according to the ridiculous list of benefits that makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

James
JPat, Finkface and anteater like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by anteater
20K miles to retain 75K? That seems absurdly low.
Why? It is in-line with a status challenge. You have ⅓ of a year to earn ~Ľ of the miles for each tier. MVPG75K would be 26.67%. The differentiation is that those must be BIS miles only.

This is looking just how I thought it might go as AS is already set-up to accommodate status challenges. This time, however, you are challenging to AS status and retain you AS status through the challenge.

BIS miles does make it more challenging. However, a MVPG75 who earned that status in 2019 for 2020 & never flew in 2020 or 2021 still has 75K status until April 30th, 2022 and could retain it through the end of 2022 on 4 trancon or Hawaii returns.

While AS has not said partner EQM (which is not always BIS) count toward the challenge, they also have not said it does. Logically, with the absence of any AS requirements noted in the "challenge" one could argue that they are AS BIS miles only since you can't meet the challenge with fewer than 2 segments for MVP, 4 segments for MVPG or 6 segments for MVPG75K. In that regard, there is no need to mention the requirements as it is inherent in the challenge.

The added complexity is that any flights flown through April 30th, 2022 will count towards the challenge and count towards 2023 status. If you fly 2,500 miles in discount F in January, you would earn 2,500 BIS miles towards the challenge and 3,750 EQM towards 2023 Elite Status on the same flight.

James
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I wish they would drop the status challenge and just extend the 50% EQM bonus.
JPat and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I wish so too, but I didn't have any expectations for them to extend the 50% bonus EQM, so I already booked 14 MRs for next year that would get me 78k EQM within 2 months, all red eyes from west coast.. I know I'm crazy.. I know..
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:28 am

How long do you want the 100K Tier benefits to be watered down? "More benefits coming in 2024...2025...?" As it sits, there isn't a lot of additional benefit for an additional 33% more EQM to get there.

James
TravelingZoomer and tonylop33 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So if you are MVP Gold or 75k and only fly 5K EQM you drop like a rock to no status? No soft landing?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
So if you are MVP Gold or 75k and only fly 5K EQM you drop like a rock to no status? No soft landing?
Yeah that's what customer service said. Pre-covid when I switched from UA to AS and didn't fly a single segment on UA that year they softlanded me with silver so this does look a bit harsh.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
That doesn’t make sense, AS is a predominantly domestic carrier where travel has rebounded in the US

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.