Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Just Short of Elite - How to Keep Your Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Short of Elite - How to Keep Your Status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:32 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
my situation is as follows:
I also started traveling late this year, but had 1 1/2 TATL R/T booked on BA (return leg of the second one only in early January) for November and December. Those one and a half trips would have pushed me above 40000 points and for the first time ever I'd make MVP gold (currently waiting for the first TATL leg to post to get my MVP re-qualification).
Now I had to cancel one of these legs this year, due to a family emergency, and no viable re-booking option on BA (will likely book something on a short notice with miles). If this aforementioned period until April 2022 would not only count against re-qualification, but also qualification for the next status tier (i.e. status miles simply carrying over like from 2020 to 2021), I'd be good, since I still have this flight in early January.
But if this is the case is currently not clear to me.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DTS
my situation is as follows:
I also started traveling late this year, but had 1 1/2 TATL R/T booked on BA (return leg of the second one only in early January) for November and December. Those one and a half trips would have pushed me above 40000 points and for the first time ever I'd make MVP gold (currently waiting for the first TATL leg to post to get my MVP re-qualification).
Now I had to cancel one of these legs this year, due to a family emergency, and no viable re-booking option on BA (will likely book something on a short notice with miles). If this aforementioned period until April 2022 would not only count against re-qualification, but also qualification for the next status tier (i.e. status miles simply carrying over like from 2020 to 2021), I'd be good, since I still have this flight in early January.
But if this is the case is currently not clear to me.
The opportunity in early 2022 will be to retain your current status beyond April 30th, 2022 (everyone's Elite status has been extended until then if they haven't already retained it) if you have not organically achieved it in 2021. If you were MVPG in 2021 and didn't retain it for 2022 by December 31st, 2021 you would have the opportunity in early 2022 to extend it until December 31st, 2022. Since you are MVP and have retained MVP for 2022, it is pretty certain you won't have an opportunity to move up an Elite Tier in early 2022.

James
anteater and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 28, 2021 at 10:04 am
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm in a similar boat as the OP. Currently MVPG with 2,733 miles to go to retain it. I have one small trip planned next week that should net 1,500 (500 each way @150% EQM) which will leave me ~1,200 short. I've been waiting to hear about this "status retaining opportunity in 2022" but it's already December and I'm concerned we won't find out until late in the year, or it will be something akin to the status challenges mentioned in this thread.

I've gone ahead and booked a SJC-LAX mileage run in mid December to guarantee I keep MVPG. I can always cancel and take the fare as wallet funds if the opportunity in 2022 is something I'll achieve through my normal travel.

Edit: I'm still kicking myself for not pushing for a mileage run or two in 2019 to hit MVP75k which I'd still have due to the status extensions! Oh well, couldn't have planned for COVID and work travel grinding to a halt.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The opportunity in early 2022 will be to retain your current status beyond April 30th, 2022 (everyone's Elite status has been extended until then if they haven't already retained it) if you have not organically achieved it in 2021. If you were MVPG in 2021 and didn't retain it for 2022 by December 31st, 2021 you would have the opportunity in early 2022 to extend it until December 31st, 2022. Since you are MVP and have retained MVP for 2022, it is pretty certain you won't have an opportunity to move up an Elite Tier in early 2022.

James
Any thoughts on whether we'll see rollover of miles past your requalification? I'm going to end the year at about 27k EQM, it'd be nice to have a 7k head start next year.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Any thoughts on whether we'll see rollover of miles past your requalification? I'm going to end the year at about 27k EQM, it'd be nice to have a 7k head start next year.
I wouldn’t expect it, but with COVID things are fluid. 🙌🏻
tonylop33 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by anteater
Agreed. Very unlikely.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:39 am

With all due respect, how many EQM would you have if not for carry-over from 2020 and 21 months of the the 50% EQM bonus?

I am not singling you out; it has been a general theme for MP members who feel they are owed something for organically meeting the reduced qualification thresholds and not utilizing any Elite status extensions.

Carry-over surplus EQM & higher upgrade priority over extended statuses has been part of that theme. While it would be nice to have surplus EQM carried forward as a "head start" in 2022, there is still the AS flight requirement in addition to EQM before status kicks in. My carry-over would be ~155K but I would still be required to fly 24 AS segments in 2022 to requalify for 100K Elite status in 2023.

I think it is unlikely we will see any kind of carry-over, head-start or bonus EQM starting in 2022. Of course, while we are all done with Covid-19, Covid-19 isn't done with us so we can hurry up and wait some more.

James
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by anteater
If anything, I would expect offers that encourage additional spend next year, not reward spend already made.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:51 am

With all due respect, how many EQM would you have if not for carry-over from 2020 and 21 months of the the 50% EQM bonus?

I am not singling you out; it has been a general theme for MP members who feel they are owed something for organically meeting the reduced qualification thresholds and not utilizing any Elite status extensions.

Carry-over surplus EQM & higher upgrade priority over extended statuses has been part of that theme. While it would be nice to have surplus EQM carried forward as a "head start" in 2022, there is still the AS flight requirement in addition to EQM before status kicks in. My carry-over would be ~155K but I would still be required to fly 24 AS segments in 2022 to requalify for 100K Elite status in 2023.

I think it is unlikely we will see any kind of carry-over, head-start or bonus EQM starting in 2022. Of course, while we are all done with Covid-19, Covid-19 isn't done with us so we can hurry up and wait some more.

James
I'm not sure I understand how simply asking if people think rollover is going to happen is taken as me thinking I'm owed anything.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Never mind that, but this is the company that is handing out BOGO offers every other week like candy. But they can't comp 400 miles to someone who's tried to get status in a year when everyone is technically still supposed to be home and avoiding crowded spaces? What a joke.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:51 pm

I'm not sure I understand how simply asking if people think rollover is going to happen is taken as me thinking I'm owed anything.
Where did I say or imply that about you? You have fallen short of re-qualification so you don't even fit into the group I was addressing. Will they carry-over? Likely not! Do I think they should? No! If they do then "all" the benefits of the new MVPG100K Tier will be further delayed which likely will lead to loyalty disengagement.

I think the real irony is that so many want flying to be like 2019 but also want head-start, 50% EQM bonuses, extensions and if that doesn't get you there, another 4 months of an opportunity to get over the hump. Maybe I should lobby for Lifetime status because I continued to organically earn my status based on 2019 qualifications without all the aforementioned.

In summary, no they should not do another head-start carry-over. I have already explained why. Isn't that what you asked?

James
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My understanding is that all three elite tiers have appreciably more members, even compared to 2019. With status extensions, this will continue in Q1. The current plan is to "normalize" for 2023, but, of course, plans could change.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:22 pm

Where did I say or imply that about you? You have fallen short of re-qualification so you don't even fit into the group I was addressing. Will they carry-over? Likely not! Do I think they should? No! If they do then "all" the benefits of the new MVPG100K Tier will be further delayed which likely will lead to loyalty disengagement.

I think the real irony is that so many want flying to be like 2019 but also want head-start, 50% EQM bonuses, extensions and if that doesn't get you there, another 4 months of an opportunity to get over the hump. Maybe I should lobby for Lifetime status because I continued to organically earn my status based on 2019 qualifications without all the aforementioned.

In summary, no they should not do another head-start carry-over. I have already explained why. Isn't that what you asked?

James
I'll just point out that I never said I didn't requalify. I clearly said I'm going to be in excess of my MVP requalification and that the fact that I'm going to end the year on around 27k EQM simply wondering whether people think they'll do rollover again (not whether they SHOULD, which is a completely different question that I didn't ask).
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
My understanding is that all three elite tiers have appreciably more members, even compared to 2019. With status extensions, this will continue in Q1. The current plan is to "normalize" for 2023, but, of course, plans could change.
Thanks, this is good insight. I do wonder how many of those elites are actually flying though. The Q1 requalification opportunity would suggest that it's enough people for them to want to try to throw a bone but if they're already thinking about normalizing then they must have a sense that a decent number of people will still fail to requalify using this opportunity.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I requalified for MVPG today. I noticed MVPG guest upgrade certs have not posted yet. In years past they posted right away. Has anyone else had this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.