Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Just Short of Elite - How to Keep Your Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Short of Elite - How to Keep Your Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides;[url=tel:34567759
34567759]OK. Fair enough. I suspect AS disagrees, but perhaps not. I believe that the purpose of the FFP in general is to incentivize behavior from customers that the airline finds valuable. If AS prefers the former to the latter, then so be it, but I doubt it. I also believe that if your spend is high enough, you will get exceptions that those with lower spend do not. Of course, YMMV.
Most companies operate for profit, so I completely understand your hope and logic. We shall see come January 1st, 2023!

Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:30 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Thank you all for your replies.

Originally Posted by anteater
Historically, AS has bumped up pax on the lower tiers yes.
Thanks; I think perhaps the way forward here is to just simply reach out to AS once the dust settles when I'm actually short. Assuming all goes to plan (hah!), I think I'll be short by less than 500eqms but who knows what'll happen between now and then...bonus EQM promo, plans changing, etc.

100K is their new top tier, so I hope they aren’t bumping pax up. Want 100K, earn 100K EQM please!
Fair. What makes a status worthwhile is if the carrier defends it.

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I disagree, and I hope AS supervisors have some flexibility on this issue. I assume AS has some value metrics on their elite customers.
Yes, because the former pax met the qualification threshold and later did not. If AS is going to lean into flexibility based on spend, they might as well switch to a revenue based FFP.
To be fair, I'd argue AS is already on a de facto revenue program by linking EQM bonuses to higher fare classes. True, it may be an indirect link - versus the far more vulgar direct revenue link adopted by AS's peers - but a link nonetheless.

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I believe that the purpose of the FFP in general is...
Would caveat the purpose of the FFP is to generate revenue/profit; to that end, strategic exceptions probably make more sense than rigid adherence to the rules.

I note AS's CASM is $10.47 ¢10.47 (arguably less, but opting to using the highest number) via their FY-2021 10K. A quick back-of-the-napkin calculation suggests an average RASM of ~$0.17 from me for AS travel in 2022.

I certainly do not claim to be AS's most profitable customer but would assume to be a profitable customer - at least for 2022 - for the carrier.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 3, 2022 at 12:04 pm Reason: $10.47 → ¢10.47 - thanks john012001
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks; I think perhaps the way forward here is to just simply reach out to AS once the dust settles when I'm actually short. Assuming all goes to plan (hah!), I think I'll be short by less than 500eqms but who knows what'll happen between now and then...bonus EQM promo, plans changing, etc.

Fair. What makes a status worthwhile is if the carrier defends it.

To be fair, I'd argue AS is already on a de facto revenue program by linking EQM bonuses to higher fare classes. True, it may be an indirect link - versus the far more vulgar direct revenue link adopted by AS's peers - but a link nonetheless.

Would caveat the purpose of the FFP is to generate revenue/profit; to that end, strategic exceptions probably make more sense than rigid adherence to the rules.

I note AS's CASM is $10.47 (arguably less, but opting to using the highest number) via their FY-2021 10K. A quick back-of-the-napkin calculation suggests an average RASM of ~$0.17 from me for AS travel in 2022.

I certainly do not claim to be AS's most profitable customer but would assume to be a profitable customer - at least for 2022 - for the carrier.
Not sure how you're calculating, but if their cost was $10+ asm they'd be shut down by now. I'm not paying $8k+ to go to LAX.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 2, 2022 at 11:03 pm Reason: Deleted quoted image for readability.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:05 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Not sure how you're calculating, but if their cost was $10+ asm they'd be shut down by now. I'm not paying $8k+ to go to LAX.
Their 10K reports in ¢ and I in error posted in $'s without adjusting the decimal place; apologies for the confusion.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
AS was extremely generous extending status, offering EQM promotions during the pandemic, at some point has to restore the value of its award program, elite status. In my case, I have greatly enjoyed, taken full advantage of 75k status over the past year, when I otherwise would have earned MVPG. If AS considers revenue as a consideration for elite status, then it should be offered as an alternative to EQM thresholds.
Now that AS is officially part of OW, I would not expect AA to look too kindly on AS giving out status to those that do not qualify. I am well aware that AA often plays fast and loose with status - as a tool to poach frequent flyers from other carriers.
All things considered, I consider MP to be the most generous of all major carriers - lowest elite thresholds, upgrades on award travel, no status revenue requirements - would like to AS thin out the elite heard, increase upgrade opportunities for those of us that earn it.
anteater and isaacchambers like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by diver858
AS was extremely generous extending status, offering EQM promotions during the pandemic, at some point has to restore the value of its award program, elite status. In my case, I have greatly enjoyed, taken full advantage of 75k status over the past year, when I otherwise would have earned MVPG. If AS considers revenue as a consideration for elite status, then it should be offered as an alternative to EQM thresholds.
Now that AS is officially part of OW, I would not expect AA to look too kindly on AS giving out status to those that do not qualify. I am well aware that AA often plays fast and loose with status - as a tool to poach frequent flyers from other carriers.
All things considered, I consider MP to be the most generous of all major carriers - lowest elite thresholds, upgrades on award travel, no status revenue requirements - would like to AS thin out the elite heard, increase upgrade opportunities for those of us that earn it.
Agreed - i think not just AS but all airlines have been very generous with matches / extensions etc. I hold WN (CP/AP+), UA 1k, AC 75k and AS 75k this year.....simply because of extensions and promos/gimmicks and bonuses. I will certainly not hold them all in 2023 unless they extend everything again. But i dont think they should, its business as usual now - earn it. I have focused on AS this year as they have been the best fit and frankly the best food (in y and F) and service our there. The lounges are great too. Im very happy overall. Most likely i will be 100k this year as i focused all by business to AS.

The gravy train has to stop - and there are costs to extensions that will allow more devaluations later (i.e. like increased inflation in the whole economy due to excessive free money with no productivity) of the programs....its basic economics.

I will certainly go from the above statuses to AS 100k and UA silver - unless there are future easy promos for WN extension or good will soft landings.....but thats a bonus and wont be upset if it doesnt happen. After all upgrades will be just that much more generous with 100k status and a thining of the elite ranks that havent earned it.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Sorry if this is an answer I should know, but I thought after joining OW they got rid of the AS segments required? I have 6 AS segments and it says I need another 6 to hit 75k? It also says I need 18,500 miles to hit 75k.

Do I need the AS segments AND the 18,500 miles. Or do I just need one of them? I have to go to Africa for six months for my job starting in October. I’m not sure if I’m close enough or it’s worth it to shoot for 75k at this juncture? Unless it’s feasible and cheap enough to do within the next few weeks on some special routes? However I don’t see much of a difference between Gold and 75k anymore unless I am missing something.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Sorry if this is an answer I should know, but I thought after joining OW they got rid of the AS segments required? I have 6 AS segments and it says I need another 6 to hit 75k? It also says I need 18,500 miles to hit 75k.

Do I need the AS segments AND the 18,500 miles. Or do I just need one of them? I have to go to Africa for six months for my job starting in October. I’m not sure if I’m close enough or it’s worth it to shoot for 75k at this juncture? Unless it’s feasible and cheap enough to do within the next few weeks on some special routes? However I don’t see much of a difference between Gold and 75k anymore unless I am missing something.
you need to hit 16 segments with alaska min. And the miles.

75k is a big difference to gold.

50k bonus.
premium selection at booking.
upgrades percentages go up significantly.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K

Another big difference for 75k is that you get Oneworld Emerald. I was at Narita recently and oh boy there was a big difference between Jal First Class lounge & its Sakura Business lounge. During rush hours, Sakura lounge is like a shopping mall food court !
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
you need to hit 16 segments with alaska min. And the miles.

75k is a big difference to gold.

50k bonus.
premium selection at booking.
upgrades percentages go up significantly.
For the 2022 qualification year, MVPG75K requires 12 segments and 75K EQM.

Alternatively, you can qualify for MVPG75K by flying 90 segments providing that at least 12 of those segments are marketed & operated by AS.

Similarly,
MVP, 20K EQMs & 2 AS segments or 30 segments of which 2 must be AS.

MVPG, 40K EQMs & 4 AS segments or 60 segments of which 4 must be AS.

MVPG100K, 100K EQMs & 24 AS segments or 140 segments of which 24 must be AS.

James
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:09 am

What’s the best route (value) out of SEA-XXX right now to help one accumulate segments?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
What’s the best route (value) out of SEA-XXX right now to help one accumulate segments?
Saw some SEA-PDX-SJC ones that are pretty short and decent fare $136 (or saver for $106) -- do that round trip and another RT SEA-PDX and you are done
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by cpworld
Saw some SEA-PDX-SJC ones that are pretty short and decent fare $136 (or saver for $106) -- do that round trip and another RT SEA-PDX and you are done
I’d be “done” because I would get to 12 AS segments? And 12 AS segments gets you 75K? I’m still short 18,500 miles, so I wouldn’t be done, right?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by NWplatinum;[url=tel:34600489
34600489]I’d be “done” because I would get to 12 AS segments? And 12 AS segments gets you 75K? I’m still short 18,500 miles, so I wouldn’t be done, right?
Correct, you need the minimum AS metal segments and 75K EQM (or qualify through segments alone, 90? too lazy to check).
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:55 pm

Correct, you need the minimum AS metal segments and 75K EQM (or qualify through segments alone, 90? too lazy to check).
I’ll get 2700 miles from my flight Saturday, but I don’t think I can fly 18,500 miles within a few weeks time unfortunately by the time I have to go to Africa for my job October 5th. So I guess it’s gold for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.