Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with AS3467 AUS-SJC on Nov 3?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

What's up with AS3467 AUS-SJC on Nov 3?

This flight was diverted to SMF right before landing in SJC. Seems odd. Anyone on this flight?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Yes
I wasn't on it, but looking at the flight path it was on approach for a S-N landing at SJC when it was directed to alter heading toward SMF. Hard to imagine it would be routed to SMF for an in-flight mechanical failure at that point. Best guess as a layman is that upon approaching the Bay Area, there was other impeding traffic that caused a necessary diversion from its own flight path.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Looks like it was weather due to low visibility. The SkyWest E jets do not have Cat III ability unlike the the Horizon E jets and Q400.
Mahogany and anteater like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Looks like it was weather due to low visibility. The SkyWest E jets do not have Cat III ability unlike the the Horizon E jets and Q400.
Odd, it’s been clear skies up here all day. 🤞🏻
Mahogany likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater
Odd, it’s been clear skies up here all day. 🤞🏻
I just checked the weather, it seems the morning weather was really bad, BCAT1 condition.
anteater and jsguyrus like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I can't believe there is ANY technology that the Q400 has that another plane doesn't! Every time I'm on one of those things I feel like it's 1945.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

does SJC have CAT III? I can only find CAT I/II on 30L, but not CAT III.

Is the SkyWest E capable of CAT II?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
I can't believe there is ANY technology that the Q400 has that another plane doesn't! Every time I'm on one of those things I feel like it's 1945.
You would be very wrong. The Q400 has great low visibility capabilities. I have seen it get in and out of airports in Eastern WA during heavy fog when no one else could do it. While we are on it the Q400 also has unbelievable power and the ability to slow very rapidly, unlike jets.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
You would be very wrong. The Q400 has great low visibility capabilities. I have seen it get in and out of airports in Eastern WA during heavy fog when no one else could do it. While we are on it the Q400 also has unbelievable power and the ability to slow very rapidly, unlike jets.
Plus beer n' wine for all!

Quite the diversion- didn't realize OO had more limitations to wx. Makes sense why its QX only in Alaska.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Plus beer n' wine for all!

Quite the diversion- didn't realize OO had more limitations to wx. Makes sense why its QX only in Alaska.
still not sure if it’s equipment’s restriction. This morning LAX is BCAT1, but OO lands a handful flights. Maybe some pilots are not certified for CAT II?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mahogany
still not sure if it’s equipment’s restriction. This morning LAX is BCAT1, but OO lands a handful flights. Maybe some pilots are not certified for CAT II?
I don't believe there are certs for specific categories of instrument flying. If you are type rated, you should know how to operate all of the systems on the aircraft.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
I don't think any of the 737s or E jets have bomb bay doors, either.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:00 am

I think the real crime here is that because the diversion happened so close to landing there would have been no additional beverage service. 🤞🏻
Mahogany likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:17 am

Can we please just say goodbye to Skywest? I know they try and generally have good crews but when you fly for four different airlines I feel like they just miss the mark on the AS/QX standard of service.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Can we please just say goodbye to Skywest? I know they try and generally have good crews but when you fly for four different airlines I feel like they just miss the mark on the AS/QX standard of service.
You're right. The FA may forget who they are flying, and accidentally serve a pdb
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.