Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan Just Became More Valuable to Me With the AA Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Mileage Plan Just Became More Valuable to Me With the AA Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd already decided to focus on AS over AA next year, since I can now get OWE through AS, and much prefer flying and dealing with AS. These changes to the AA program just confirmed that decision.
Out of curiosity, do you perceive a difference between PP v 75K or EXP v 100K on AS? (I'm assuming EXP will "outrank" 75K once AS rolls out the 100K tier) The only substantive difference I could see is that the AS member wins the "tie" at equivalent status levels on the upgrade list (and of course RDM earnings are generally better). But are there meaningful differences between AA v AS status otherwise, when flying AS metal?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
In the past, I have found them, far and away, the single best perk of any FF program, with the caveat that I've never been either CK or GS. Before the pandemic, assuming anyone with any kind of flexibility, it wasn't unusual to find, say, a bargain basement RT from NA to HKG for about $400 - $500, and utilize SWUs to upgrade them into business class. Not sure about now or moving forward, while they were based on availability, they didn't strike me as exceedingly restrictive.

Assuming you were going to pay or considered paying for business class, the 4 SWUs are probably worth around $5K - $7K, in my view.
Are they really worth $5K - $7K? You can buy an upgrade for $350 + 25,000 Miles on that route so they can't be worth more than that. If you don't have AA miles, 100K today would cost you 2,096.25 & Add $1,400 co-pay for a total of $3,496.25. Each SWU being $874.07.

Of course if you have earned SWUs you would likely not need to buy AA Miles & the co-pay is offset by the extra you are spending to attain them.

Am I really saving $20K on an CX F/J seat when I am using miles to fly to South Africa? Am I really getting 28.5 cents a mile on my redemption? Of course not.

James
milypan, TheDudeAbides and ashill like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Visconti
In the past, I have found them, far and away, the single best perk of any FF program
I've not found them all that useful since becoming EXP in late 2019. My only uses have been on premium t-cons, mostly going from J to F. Much of that is the pandemic of course; specifically, the shut-down of virtually all of Asia. AA has also become much tighter with advance upgrade inventory, it's now virtually never available on the premium t-cons. Another consideration is where you're based; as AA continues to deemphasize LAX, they become harder and harder to use international from the west coast.

I have similar issues with UA and their PlusPoints, though the ability to use those in 20 point increments for domestic upgrades means you get 14 of them per year if used in that fashion.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milypan
Out of curiosity, do you perceive a difference between PP v 75K or EXP v 100K on AS? (I'm assuming EXP will "outrank" 75K once AS rolls out the 100K tier) The only substantive difference I could see is that the AS member wins the "tie" at equivalent status levels on the upgrade list (and of course RDM earnings are generally better). But are there meaningful differences between AA v AS status otherwise, when flying AS metal?
Anything beyond this year is inherently speculative. But currently as a 75K I'm almost guaranteed upgrades on AS flights from SFO and PHX. That is absolutely not true on AA as EXP. I'd like to retain that top AS priority by hitting 100K, which means crediting most of my OW flights to AS rather than AA.

I also feel that AS tries harder and is more worthy of my business. Do I get treated better on board an AS flight as 75K vs. EXP? No idea, but one of the things I like about AS is they generally aim to treat all their customers well. For example, I saw the GA on a recent PHX departure hand a young couple new boarding passes at the gate, commenting that she'd moved them up to Premium Class because it was a very empty flight. You're not gonna see that flying AA.
ashill, ccna101, NoLaGent and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are they really worth $5K - $7K? You can buy an upgrade for $350 + 25,000 Miles on that route so they can't be worth more than that. If you don't have AA miles, 100K today would cost you 2,096.25 & Add $1,400 co-pay for a total of $3,496.25. Each SWU being $874.07.
That's a good point, I had forgotten about these. I'd agree that given these upgrades, it should be the par value for the SWUs.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Anything beyond this year is inherently speculative. But currently as a 75K I'm almost guaranteed upgrades on AS flights from SFO and PHX. That is absolutely not true on AA as EXP. I'd like to retain that top AS priority by hitting 100K, which means crediting most of my OW flights to AS rather than AA.

I also feel that AS tries harder and is more worthy of my business. Do I get treated better on board an AS flight as 75K vs. EXP? No idea, but one of the things I like about AS is they generally aim to treat all their customers well. For example, I saw the GA on a recent PHX departure hand a young couple new boarding passes at the gate, commenting that she'd moved them up to Premium Class because it was a very empty flight. You're not gonna see that flying AA.
Sorry, I was not clear in my original post. Whose metal I am flying will not change; most flights will still be AS metal as long as I am based out of SFO. I was just wondering if there are obvious downsides to flying AS metal as EXP instead of AS 100K. Only two I can see are tie breaking priority on the upgrade list and mileage earnings.

And fully agree that AS treats their customers, all of them, better than US3. That is why I left UA.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Sorry, I was not clear in my original post. Whose metal I am flying will not change; most flights will still be AS metal as long as I am based out of SFO. I was just wondering if there are obvious downsides to flying AS metal as EXP instead of AS 100K. Only two I can see are tie breaking priority on the upgrade list and mileage earnings.

And fully agree that AS treats their customers, all of them, better than US3. That is why I left UA.
It’s not tie breaking, as you will be prioritized second after 100k. But if you don’t care about reduced RDM and the slightly worse upgrade chances there isn’t much of a difference on AS themselves.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It’s not tie breaking, as you will be prioritized second after 100k. But if you don’t care about reduced RDM and the slightly worse upgrade chances there isn’t much of a difference on AS themselves.
Right, in my mind EXP and MVPG100K are equivalent levels on their respective airlines, so the concordance between the mileage program and the metal breaks the "tie".
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Right, in my mind EXP and MVPG100K are equivalent levels on their respective airlines, so the concordance between the mileage program and the metal breaks the "tie".
I forgot one thing that you won’t get by the rule, although this may differ in practice, is a snack in Y as a 100k
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I forgot one thing that you won’t get by the rule, although this may differ in practice, is a snack in Y as a 100k
and chocolate, don’t forget the free chocolate. Or do they give those to OW elites?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
and chocolate, don’t forget the free chocolate. Or do they give those to OW elites?
Haha, excellent point. Though IME whether you actually get it is hit-or-miss.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:18 pm

I was just wondering if there are obvious downsides to flying AS metal as EXP instead of AS 100K. Only two I can see are tie breaking priority on the upgrade list and mileage earnings.
Apart from what's already been mentioned, I don't think so. I suspect it's more likely to matter on AA, where you're slightly less likely to be treated like dirt as an EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.