Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines adds new nonstop service between Anchorage and Salt Lake City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Post Alaska Airlines adds new nonstop service between Anchorage and Salt Lake City

Just found in my inbox:

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
News Release Issued: Oct 7, 2021 (5:00am PDT)

To view this release online and get more information about Alaska Airlines Newsroom visit: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-...Salt-Lake-City

With addition of new route from Alaska's largest city, our guests will enjoy nonstop service between the state of Alaska and the top 10 travel markets in the Lower 48

Photos(1)

SEATTLE, Oct. 7, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines announced today the start of new nonstop service between Anchorage, our key hub in the state of Alaska, and Salt Lake City. With this flight – and our new one between Anchorage and Minneapolis-St. Paul – we will offer nonstop service connecting Alaska to the top 10 travel destinations in the continental U.S. this summer. That's in addition to our nonstop flights from Anchorage to Honolulu and Maui. Tickets for all flights now available for purchase on alaskaair.com.

"We're ready to welcome new and returning guests from the Salt Lake City area, as we provide Alaskans more nonstop options than ever before," said Marilyn Romano, Alaska Airlines' regional vice president. "Once in this great state, our massive network stretching across Alaska gives visitors and locals the opportunity to enjoy all there is to offer – hiking, fishing, the Northern Lights, sightseeing and more."

Starts

City Pair

Departs

Arrives

Frequency

Aircraft

June 18

Anchorage – Salt Lake City

12:40 p.m.

7:10 p.m.

Sat, Sun

737-900

June 18

Salt Lake City – Anchorage

8:30 a.m.

11:10 a.m.

Sat, Sun

737-900

All times are local times

This summer, Alaska will fly nonstop to 12 destinations between Anchorage and the Lower 48 and Hawaii: Chicago; Denver; Honolulu; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Maui; Minneapolis-St. Paul; Phoenix; Portland; Salt Lake City; San Francisco and Seattle. Los Angeles, Portland, San Francisco and Seattle are Alaska hubs on the West Coast, which allow for improved connectivity for guests traveling to other destinations in our network.

"Adding Salt Lake City to our nonstop service out of Anchorage completes our goal of serving the top 10 U.S. travel markets from our hub in Alaska," said Brett Catlin, vice president of network and alliances at Alaska Airlines. "We're committed to keeping Alaska and our guests connected across our network, and with our new oneworld membership, Alaskans can take advantage of more than 1,000 global destinations served by our partners."

With oneworld and our additional airline partners, our guests can earn and redeem miles with our highly acclaimed Mileage Plan program to fly on more than 20 oneworld and partner airlines all around the globe.

Alaska remains committed to Next-Level Care for our guests and employees by implementing more than 100 ways to maintain the highest standard of safety – from clean planes to clean air in the cabin with hospital-grade air filtration systems. For everyone's safety on board, Alaska continues to enforce the federally mandated mask policy, even for those who are fully vaccinated.

About Alaska Airlines
Alaska Airlines and its regional partners serve more than 120 destinations across the United States and to Mexico, Canada and Costa Rica. The airline emphasizes Next-Level Care for its guests, along with providing low fares, award-winning customer service and sustainability efforts. Alaska is a member of oneworld. With the global alliance and the airline's additional partners, guests can travel to more than 1,000 destinations on more than 20 airlines while earning and redeeming miles on flights to locations around the world. Learn more about Alaska at newsroom.alaskaair.com and blog.alaskaair.com. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK).

SOURCE Alaska Airlines
'Bout time!
N830MH likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
This is pretty good news! Any other opportunities for a one-stop to ANC from CMH are welcome. Both MSP and SLC open up DL connection possibilities. Two-stops to ANC are so brutal, especially going west.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
An awesome alternative to DL!
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
note it's Sat/Sun only in both directions
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish the announcement said more about the criteria for the top ten travel markets. I don't understand why places like NYC aren't on the list and I'm not convinced that SLC and MSP belong there. If it's travel from Alaska, I would expect additional warm weather places like Florida to be on the list (although maybe it's too far given that there are nonstops to Hawaii), and if it's travel to Alaska, DEN, SLC, and MSP gave many of the same activities that Alaska would offer.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wish the announcement said more about the criteria for the top ten travel markets. I don't understand why places like NYC aren't on the list and I'm not convinced that SLC and MSP belong there. If it's travel from Alaska, I would expect additional warm weather places like Florida to be on the list (although maybe it's too far given that there are nonstops to Hawaii), and if it's travel to Alaska, DEN, SLC, and MSP gave many of the same activities that Alaska would offer.
I'd expect that (traditionally) most travel from Alaska isn't leisure vacation, but rather, business and personal family travel. Meanwhile, anywhere that Alaskans can fly nonstop to get outside is good, and anywhere outsiders can get to AK nonstop is a good thing. Besides, SEA will become a terrible overcrowded connecting choke point for ANC travel once things get back to normal.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:37 am

Um, the criteria for top travel markets is objective: passenger traffic. You can ask why people are traveling to these destinations, but I'm not sure there's a point in questioning statistics.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd expect that (traditionally) most travel from Alaska isn't leisure vacation, but rather, business and personal family travel. Meanwhile, anywhere that Alaskans can fly nonstop to get outside is good, and anywhere outsiders can get to AK nonstop is a good thing. Besides, SEA will become a terrible overcrowded connecting choke point for ANC travel once things get back to normal.
OMG, have you been to SEA recently? That happened like a month ago.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I wouldn’t be surprised to see AS take a run at ANC-NYC once more MAX are on property.

I don’t recall the exact top 10 lower 48 destinations from ANC, but the top 5 is SEA by a mile, followed in no particular order by PDX, LAX, Hawaii, and I believe PHX (not positive about PHX). Vegas is up there too but AS has always had a hard time making ANC-LAS work long term.

As for warm weather beaches from ANC, that’s almost all Hawaii and Mexico. Florida is an afterthought to Alaskans unless you’re going to Disney.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jrl767
note it's Sat/Sun only in both directions
Yes, only for weekend, not weekdays.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, only for weekend, not weekdays.
This is how AS started out in MSP. Apparently that is growing next year.

Whereas GEG seems DOA still...
N830MH likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Chugach
I wouldn’t be surprised to see AS take a run at ANC-NYC once more MAX are on property.
Probably not an option without weight restrictions or the occasional diversion to Moose Jaw. It’s legitimately a TATL-length route.

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Note that the MAX9s are even behind the A321neos on range… and B6 is using A321XLRs to Europe which completely smoke MAX9s (and in fact have longer range than 752s).
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Chugach
As for warm weather beaches from ANC, that’s almost all Hawaii and Mexico. Florida is an afterthought to Alaskans unless you’re going to Disney.
Oh, how I long to live in a place where Florida is an afterthought!
be_rettSEA, CalanMan and Aliquot like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Oh, how I long to live in a place where Florida is an afterthought!
HA! Reminds me of many years ago, a professor of mine (who had just moved to SF from OK) and I were chatting, and I mentioned I was going to Hawaii - he seemed so surprised, and wondered why I wouldn't go to Florida instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.