FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Update the forum description? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2054192-update-forum-description.html)

thatmikereed Oct 1, 2021 4:12 pm

Update the forum description?

The current description for this forum still references Virgin and 2018... is it time to update the description?

scubadu Oct 1, 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by thatmikereed (Post 33612131)
The current description for this forum still references Virgin and 2018... is it time to update the description?

As a brand new FT member (welcome!) is this really your most pressing matter? Does it really matter? Its been that way for several years and doesn't seem to impede the daily flow of information sharing... :idea:

Regards

CalanMan Oct 1, 2021 5:20 pm

I think few things we talk about here on FlyerTalk are truly pressing matters.

The description is a bit long-in-the-tooth. Might be time for some housekeeping.

AA's description mentions "US Airways Dividend Miles Merged Airline and Programs", but the descriptions for DL, UA, and WN don't mention their most recent mergers. Doesn't seem like there's much of a standard for when this should happen.

dayone Oct 1, 2021 6:38 pm

Moderator Note

Anyone is welcome to send a formal request to update the forum description to me or the Community Director. Formal means include the specific wording of the new description and the benefit(s) of the proposed change.

My unofficial opinion is that there is still value to referencing VX. YMMV.

dayone, AS Moderator

SanDiego1K Oct 1, 2021 11:28 pm

I just removed the 2018 comment. Good suggestion.

Carol
Community Director

thatmikereed Oct 4, 2021 9:36 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 33612197)
As a brand new FT member (welcome!) is this really your most pressing matter? Does it really matter? Its been that way for several years and doesn't seem to impede the daily flow of information sharing... :idea:

Us newbies are more likely to notice the things that you old-timers are just used to. Nothing wrong with calling out old information that could confuse new folks.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 33612709)
I just removed the 2018 comment. Good suggestion.

Carol
Community Director

Thanks!

mfolf Oct 4, 2021 6:21 pm

What's this "Virgin"?

worldwidedreamer Oct 4, 2021 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by mfolf (Post 33619374)
What's this "Virgin"?

My favorite ex. She was the best domestic airline I've ever flown, and classy even in afterlife. (My VX credit card worked for free F&B on AS for a long time.) And I'm not the only one who misses her.

sdsearch Oct 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Well, someone updated it again. It now says:

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

Alaska Airlines including Horizon Air

SanDiego1K Oct 10, 2021 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 33633015)
Well, someone updated it again. It now says:

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

Alaska Airlines including Horizon Air

Waves hand.

Accurate? Not? Better description possible??

sdsearch Oct 10, 2021 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 33633210)
Waves hand.

Thanks, looks much more accurate than before. The only other thing I'm not sure about is whether it should also mention Ravn Alaska:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-airlines.html

jrl767 Oct 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 33633210)
Waves hand.

while I basically agree with removing mention of an acquired major carrier after 3+ years, how many others include their regional affiliates in the forum title?

SanDiego1K Oct 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 33633327)
while I basically agree with removing mention of an acquired major carrier after 3+ years, how many others include their regional affiliates in the forum title?

A fair number. Look at the descriptions for British Airways and Lufthansa for example.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usercp.php

We're certainly inconsistent. Witness a newcomer who brought up the description for this forum. But the desire is to make it as easy as possible for someone to figure out where to post a question. The hotel forums are even more dramatic in this regard. We try to add every one of their brands to their descriptions.

NoLaGent Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm

But then shouldn't OO be included as well i.e. regional?

SanDiego1K Oct 10, 2021 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 33633385)
But then shouldn't OO be included as well i.e. regional?

What is OO?