Companion fare reinstatement

Old Sep 24, 21, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AS MVP, UA, AA
Companion fare reinstatement

Booked a ticket with a companion fare (expiring in December 2021) a few weeks ago and realize now that it doesn’t make much sense.

Based on previous posts, was expecting that I would be able to reinstate the coupon since we’re still a few months out from the expiration date.

Chatted an agent over SMS who threw the T&Cs in my face and said no can do. Noted to her that earlier in the year exceptions were being made and she pointed me at the Peace of Mind waiver (which “ended” in April) even though it said nothing about companion fares.

Ultimately ended the chat unilaterally and said to contact customer care as reservations doesn’t handle this stuff.

HUCA situation? Or should I call customer care? The main reason I want to cancel in the first place is because the companion with whom I booked simply won’t need to travel again anytime soon, so I’d rather use the coupon with someone else.
Old Sep 24, 21, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by lensovet View Post
Booked a ticket with a companion fare (expiring in December 2021) a few weeks ago and realize now that it doesnt make much sense.

Based on previous posts, was expecting that I would be able to reinstate the coupon since were still a few months out from the expiration date.

Chatted an agent over SMS who threw the T&Cs in my face and said no can do. Noted to her that earlier in the year exceptions were being made and she pointed me at the Peace of Mind waiver (which ended in April) even though it said nothing about companion fares.

Ultimately ended the chat unilaterally and said to contact customer care as reservations doesnt handle this stuff.

HUCA situation? Or should I call customer care? The main reason I want to cancel in the first place is because the companion with whom I booked simply wont need to travel again anytime soon, so Id rather use the coupon with someone else.
You could try again, but I was told the same recently. Certainly during the pandemic I had those re-deposited and I'm quite sure even prior to the pandemic I've had them re-deposited too. I could be misremembering or perhaps this is another slight of hand change like with the 4 vs 8 GGU's for 75k. Would not be surprised if they are just tightening (clarifying?) policies, that were somewhat vague and interpreted generously, in order to compensate for financial impact of the pandemic.

I just ended up going through the hassle of "changing" the ticket to another itinerary with different dates. You can have the ticket numbers saved to use at a later time. It's not ideal because it's tough to actually figure out what the all-in cost will be, but it's the only option that allows for flexibility.

The take away is to not use those companion fares unless you are 100% sure you'll be taking that flight. As such, I cancelled my AS card and my wife cancelled hers. I see little to no benefit since the one useful perk has become a burden to use. I only carry on and 95% of my miles are accrued from BIS miles.
Old Sep 24, 21, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
HUCA situation? Or should I call customer care? The main reason I want to cancel in the first place is because the companion with whom I booked simply wont need to travel again anytime soon, so Id rather use the coupon with someone else.
If you are wanting to keep the same itinerary, call AS and see if they will entertain a name change. They have done it before for me, but admittedly, that was when AS was a lot more customer focused & policies were guidelines as opposed to the AA-esque culture we are starting to see now.

James
anteater and Finkface like this.
Old Sep 24, 21, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I dont need this itinerary at all. And the replacement itinerary is under $160 for two on AA.
Old Sep 24, 21, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately I dont need this itinerary at all. And the replacement itinerary is under $160 for two on AA.
You can't use a companion certificate on AA flights even if marketed by AS.

James
Old Sep 24, 21, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
as has been mentioned, if you want to keep the companion cert *after* youve booked a qualifying reservation, you have to change that reservation rather than cancelling and refunding it if the fare for your new itinerary is higher, youll have to pay the difference on the checkout screen; if its lower, youll get MyWallet credit

that being said, as long as youre within the validity period of the companion cert you can keep repeating this process
Old Sep 24, 21, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
You can't use a companion certificate on AA flights even if marketed by AS.

James
the point is that the equivalent flight on american is cheaper even without the cert.

edit: in case it's not clear, i paid $177 for two tickets on AA. the equivalent itinerary on AS, with a much worse schedule, with the companion cert, would cost $256.

Last edited by lensovet; Sep 25, 21 at 12:03 am
Old Sep 24, 21, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
as has been mentioned, if you want to keep the companion cert *after* youve booked a qualifying reservation, you have to change that reservation rather than cancelling and refunding it if the fare for your new itinerary is higher, youll have to pay the difference on the checkout screen; if its lower, youll get MyWallet credit

that being said, as long as youre within the validity period of the companion cert you can keep repeating this process
the problem is i do not have another flight that i can take with this companion; that's why i wanted a reinstatement. i need to change the name of the companion. changing the reservation isn't going to let me do that.
Old Sep 25, 21, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the problem is i do not have another flight that i can take with this companion; that's why i wanted a reinstatement. i need to change the name of the companion. changing the reservation isn't going to let me do that.
You are asking for something clearly against T&C - not sure why you have such expectation..
Changes and Refunds: Changes may be allowed per the applicable fare rule. Refunds or cancellation of itinerary will result in the forfeiture of the discount code. Once the 'Purchase By' date has passed, any changes will result in the forfeiture of the discount. Once issued, tickets are not transferable.
occasionally AS bends the rules to help out but it's an exception to be grateful for and not an entitlement
as others pointed out there are ways to preserve cert value or swap companion order but if this is of no interest and you see better value in AA then by all means you should try it and just let the cert go..
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 25, 21, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
You are asking for something clearly against T&C - not sure why you have such expectation.
the expectation came from reading the experiences of multiple other posters on this board and the fact that AS used to be one of the more customer friendly airlines in the US.

clearly i was mistaken.

as a side note, T&Cs mean nothing in covid. some airlines have waivers that are reflected in the fare rules, others don't. some require you to call in to get those, others get their IT in order. i was looking for some data points as the most recent posts on this topic in this very board say that certs were reinstated a few days after the itinerary was cancelled. apparently that's not happening anymore.
Old Sep 25, 21, 12:59 am

Just give it up and get another one for like 25 bucks in DD forum. Or just keep HUCA-ing until you get someone willing to bend the rule for you.
Old Sep 25, 21, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
the expectation came from reading the experiences of multiple other posters on this board and the fact that AS used to be one of the more customer friendly airlines in the US.

clearly i was mistaken.
many FT posts celebrate the fact that someone got an airline rep to bend the rules in their favor, and as many have mentioned many times before, FTers are not representative of the vast majority of the flying public

no disagreement with the highlighted statement
Old Sep 25, 21, 11:10 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by AndyKehn View Post
Just give it up and get another one for like 25 bucks in DD forum. Or just keep HUCA-ing until you get someone willing to bend the rule for you.
Be careful. I HUCA three times for one issue and they had made a note on my account about it. 🙌🏻
lensovet likes this.

Search this Thread