Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits (Pre-Launch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DeltaFlyingProf
  • Requirements:
    100k Eligible miles earned on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    or 140 Eligible segments flown on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    24 minimum number of flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
  • Flight Benefits:
    Elite bonus miles: 150%

First Class upgrades at the time of booking: Y, B, H, K or M fares
    Premium Class upgrades at the time of booking: All fares except Saver fares
    First and Premium Class upgrades on Alaska non-qualifying fares: 120 hours (Highest waitlist priority)
    Companion upgrades to First Class
    Companion upgrades to Premium Class

First Class guest upgrades (max. 4 per year)
    International upgrade certificates on American Airlines: 2 One-way
  • Airport benefits:
    Priority check-in and boarding
    Free checked bags: 3
    Preferred seating
    Express security line at select airports
    Standby and wait list for full flights
    Alaska Lounge membership discount
    Four Alaska Lounge day passes (max. 4 per year)
  • oneworld priority
    Emerald
More MVP Gold 100K benefits to come.

MVP Gold 100K will launch by the end of January 2021.

Notes:
  • It seems the 24 AS segments required will not include the rollover of AS segments from 2020 for qualification based on 2021 flying. Though notequiteaff reports that the twitter team said they do in post 154, an email reported by tonylop33 in post 178 indicates otherwise. Given that the email is from the director of the loyalty program management, it is safer to assume that only 2021 AS segments will count.
  • Since December 12 2021, the full website of Alaska shows the number of EQMs, the number of segments on partner airlines and Alaska, and a separate count of Alaska marketed and operated flights.
Print Wikipost

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits (Pre-Launch)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by simonsuo
It doesn't mention upgrade priority on AA, in January we have this 100k, does it mean 100k will upgrade before Plat.Pro, after EP and CK?
this is what i was wondering too, i assume so, I think the idea with these is to be directly behind the tier of the airline your flying.

Alaska order
CK/EXP
PP
PLT
GLD

Americans order

CK
EXP
PP
PLT
GLD
Erasmus, eddiehuang97 and simonsuo like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
And they often charge accordingly. Their prices aren't nearly as high as what the legacies want in many cases. That has nothing to do with maintaining the costs of Mileage Plan.
What are you talking about? Alaska prices for transcon and midcons are among the highest out there in Y. Their X to Y buy up aka elite tax is 40-50 routinely. You can't compare Alaska F with lie flat F since they're not remotely the same product. For Y and PE Alaska is rarely the cheapest option.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I'm in the same boat. 76k right now but I can put 20k spend on my Alaska card to get another 20k. At that point I'll just make a mileage run for the last 5k for the heck of it.
I thought the EQM from the card was temporary and went away a long time ago?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by General99
this is what i was wondering too, i assume so, I think the idea with these is to be directly behind the tier of the airline your flying.

Alaska order
CK/EXP
PP
PLT
GLD

Americans order

CK
EXP
PP
PLT
GLD
I would agree with this order, but my guess functionally in practice on both AA and AS right now:

75K <> Plat Pro
100K <> EXP (my guess)
CK being its own tier on AA

As a few FT'ers have previously shared what status shows up on AA boarding passes when they upgraded as AS as 75K.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I thought the EQM from the card was temporary and went away a long time ago?
Just added back for today - mid Nov as another temp way to earn EQM for 2022, per email this afternoon
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you talking about? Alaska prices for transcon and midcons are among the highest out there in Y. Their X to Y buy up aka elite tax is 40-50 routinely. You can't compare Alaska F with lie flat F since they're not remotely the same product. For Y and PE Alaska is rarely the cheapest option.
Pre-covid they were often coming up cheaper than my corporate discounted rate on UA for the routes I fly. They've unfortunately dropped my routes during the pandemic, so I can't compare anymore.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I agree with the general sentiment here... kind of ho hum for reaching 100K. I'll be there for 2022 and am personally pleased with the minimum segments as it will weed a lot of people out and I shouldn't have much competition for upgrades. As someone who is new to this whole FF game I was always surprised at how high a status one could achieve while barely riding on an airline.

Can anyone explain a bit more about what these AA certificates are good for? Please tell me they are better than a GGU.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I disagree. On nonstop routes where AS competes with DL, like SEA-JFK where DL has lie-flats, there is a huge premium charged by DL: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...TkVPQlp3eUljRA
kirker likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
I was/am hoping for upgrades at T-144 and from X fares.
I was sure hoping 100K level would make saver fares just like non-saver. I guess it isnt worth getting 20K more miles in before the end of the year.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Just added back for today - mid Nov as another temp way to earn EQM for 2022, per email this afternoon
Interesting.

Not sure it really would gain me much to get 100K vs 75K, except maybe slightly better upgrade chances until the status retention challenges end next year.
ftv likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtofell
I agree with the general sentiment here... kind of ho hum for reaching 100K. I'll be there for 2022 and am personally pleased with the minimum segments as it will weed a lot of people out and I shouldn't have much competition for upgrades. As someone who is new to this whole FF game I was always surprised at how high a status one could achieve while barely riding on an airline.

Can anyone explain a bit more about what these AA certificates are good for? Please tell me they are better than a GGU.
AA's certificates not great. You can use them on all fares but they rarely clear and its basically impossible to confirm them in advance.
Nevsky, buschoi, anteater and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by CDKing
I was sure hoping 100K level would make saver fares just like non-saver. I guess it isnt worth getting 20K more miles in before the end of the year.
Yeah. I'm very underwhelmed by the new tier. 25% more RDM's, 1 additional AA SWU, and a "snack" in economy vs 75K.

I was getting ready to get my segments in when I saw the email, but I think I'll pass and save the money.

I guess the question is whether rollover segments from 2020 count toward segments for 100K qualification. In that case, I'll already qualify for 100K, but I'm not expecting that.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
Wouldn't that be nice! But I agree it may not be worth to mileage run to reach 100k for some. I don't think any other will un-save the saver, however, limited elites benefits may apply.

Originally Posted by keitherson
there is a huge premium charged by DL
Totally, and sometimes AS F is not that cheap either. The upgrade list for those flights can be long.

Originally Posted by mtofell
More like https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...al-routes.html but it should work on any AA int'l routes rather than the limited ones. If you don't fly int'l, then GGU is better.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Edited to add: just got the email, which includes an offer for 2500 EQM for every $2500 in spend on AS Visa through year end, which makes 100K a simple West Coast weekend plus some card spend. OK then.
My husband got the credit card offer. I did not. I'm perplexed.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by General99

Alaska order
CK/EXP
PP
PLT
GLD

Americans order

CK
EXP
PP
PLT
GLD
It would be insane for AS to put 75K behind CK/EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.