Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits (Pre-Launch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DeltaFlyingProf
  • Requirements:
    100k Eligible miles earned on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    or 140 Eligible segments flown on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    24 minimum number of flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
  • Flight Benefits:
    Elite bonus miles: 150%

First Class upgrades at the time of booking: Y, B, H, K or M fares
    Premium Class upgrades at the time of booking: All fares except Saver fares
    First and Premium Class upgrades on Alaska non-qualifying fares: 120 hours (Highest waitlist priority)
    Companion upgrades to First Class
    Companion upgrades to Premium Class

First Class guest upgrades (max. 4 per year)
    International upgrade certificates on American Airlines: 2 One-way
  • Airport benefits:
    Priority check-in and boarding
    Free checked bags: 3
    Preferred seating
    Express security line at select airports
    Standby and wait list for full flights
    Alaska Lounge membership discount
    Four Alaska Lounge day passes (max. 4 per year)
  • oneworld priority
    Emerald
More MVP Gold 100K benefits to come.

MVP Gold 100K will launch by the end of January 2021.

Notes:
  • It seems the 24 AS segments required will not include the rollover of AS segments from 2020 for qualification based on 2021 flying. Though notequiteaff reports that the twitter team said they do in post 154, an email reported by tonylop33 in post 178 indicates otherwise. Given that the email is from the director of the loyalty program management, it is safer to assume that only 2021 AS segments will count.
  • Since December 12 2021, the full website of Alaska shows the number of EQMs, the number of segments on partner airlines and Alaska, and a separate count of Alaska marketed and operated flights.
Print Wikipost

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits (Pre-Launch)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chrisl137
They're cutting their flights that are already covered by AA - they won't even have to rearrange any flight schedules to integrate the two airlines.
Those are all valid points, but I don't think DL, UA, and DOJ will let AA merge/buy any other airlines.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by keitherson
Forget the west coast restrictions. LHR only to Europe??? I'm going to be peeved if I have to transit LHR again with its awful security and lines just to use any certs.
You are correct. But for me, my best uses are DFW-NRT and DFW-HKG. In any case, we both hope that those upgrades next year will be better than the ones this year.
ual744777sta and olouie like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
On organic flights alone, no MRs, plus last year's Jan-Apr carryover, I was going to end up with just over 90K EQM and 24 actual segments (not rolled over) for this year, but had decided that throwing in some MRs just to hit 100K wasn't worth next year's measly 100K benefits. Then I had an unexpected major expense come up that I can put on an AS BoA Visa, having received that relevant CC offer. That expense, plus regular monthly expenses that go to the card, means I'll hit MVPG100K for next year.

That said, there's really not much to the 100K benefits for next year beyond those for 75K, right? The little bit of extra RDM is fine, sure; but I'm not sure how restricted the AA upgrade certs are (and since I'll qualify by "special offer", I might not get two anyway); and I don't expect there will even be so many other 75Ks on flights I typically take. Both 75K and 100K get oneworld Emerald status. Three checked bags for free sound fine, but I seldom check more than one, sometimes none for even a week away.

I guess the main benefit for me will be bragging rights when I update my profile here to say "AS MVPG100K" for a year.

I crossed the 75K threshold for this year on the basis of about $15K of AS BoA Visa charges for another unexpected expense the last time they had that similar credit card offer. Plus I had about 40K EQM from 2020 that rolled over to 2021. Meaning that I'm one of those faux 75Ks/future 100Ks whom some of you seem to loathe.

I'm OK with that, because I'm sure this'll be the only time I ever hit 100K. Based on actual flying patterns, probably the best I can qualify for with next year's anticipated BIS flying is MVPG.

No major takeaway point here, just a DP for one other way that someone's reaching the 2022 100K-lite threshold.

For those of you who will qualify for 100K status in 2023 based on actual 2022 BIS miles, my hat's off to you. That's quite a thing.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I crossed the 75K threshold for this year on the basis of about $15K of AS BoA Visa charges for another unexpected expense the last time they had that similar credit card offer. Plus I had about 40K EQM from 2020 that rolled over to 2021. Meaning that I'm one of those faux 75Ks/future 100Ks whom some of you seem to loathe.

I'm OK with that, because I'm sure this'll be the only time I ever hit 100K. Based on actual flying patterns, probably the best I can qualify for with next year's anticipated BIS flying is MVPG.
My flying patterns make me a natural MVPG, too. I'll make MVPG75K in a couple weeks based on BIS miles that are a mix of main and F (so there are some COS bonuses) and the pandemic multiplier. I wouldn't normally buy the F tickets, but they were practically giving them away until June, so I figured I could hit 75K pretty cheaply. I have enough still booked for the year to hit 85K, one more trip to book that doesn't really work on AS, but maybe AA. I could charge enough in the next month to get another 10K miles, but I'd have to pay a few hundred $ in fees because some of it would be property tax where they make you pay the CC fee. Other than bragging rights, I'm not seeing that it's worth it to do the extra time and $ for 100K. I'll probably spring for an AS Lounge membership before the end of this month - I haven't normally been much of a lounge visitor, and neither of my preferred SoCal airports (BUR, ONT) has one, but I've gotten a little spoiled with the F tickets and lounge access at PDX and SEA - it seems like better use of about the same cash.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
....I'll probably spring for an AS Lounge membership before the end of this month - I haven't normally been much of a lounge visitor, and neither of my preferred SoCal airports (BUR, ONT) has one, but I've gotten a little spoiled with the F tickets and lounge access at PDX and SEA - it seems like better use of about the same cash.
Agreed. If you've found that you enjoy the lounge visits, it's worth it. I often schedule flight times and layovers just to extend my lounge time. Lounge visits are one of the few guilty/therapeutic pleasures I give myself. Seems like such a simple thing, but I really do enjoy my time in the AS and AA lounges. I've met some very nice staff and more than a few interesting fellow customers. (Plus some odd ones, which was interesting in another way. You know who you are.... No, actually, you probably don't.)

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Sep 28, 2021 at 8:26 pm Reason: Grammarz
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K

I guess the main benefit for me will be bragging rights when I update my profile here to say "AS MVPG100K" for a year.
“5!”
“4!”
“3!”
“2!”
“1!”
*refresh Alaska App*
“Happy New Year!”
*Open FT to edit profile or make a “When will AS update status within app!?” thread*

My NYE plans are sorted already.
rubbernyc, joachimm, 985X and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Sep 28, 2021 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
“5!”
“4!”
“3!”
“2!”
“1!”
*refresh Alaska App*
“Happy New Year!”
*Open FT to edit profile or make a “When will AS update status within app!?” thread*

My NYE plans are sorted already.
Oh, don't be preposterous.

Because 100K doesn't kick in until "End of Jan 22."

As for me, I'll be doing NYE in grand style as always:

TheStrangerIn29K (L), NYE 2021
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
On the fence? Wouldn't going from Top Tier MVPG75K to third in line for upgrades be akin to going from MVPG75K to MVP? I thought most Elites consider upgrades as the most valuable benefit of status. It is unfortunate for Million Milers who will sink to fifth in line.

James
olouie, maradori, Xrayman and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
On the fence? Wouldn't going from Top Tier MVPG75K to third in line for upgrades be akin to going from MVPG75K to MVP? I thought most Elites consider upgrades as the most valuable benefit of status. It is unfortunate for Million Milers who will sink to fifth in line.

James
The worry about AA EXP taking away upgrades is real. They are now incentivized to both fly AS F to get better earnings so that will make less seats available for upgrades and will get higher upgrade priority. And upgrades for 75k behind AA PP are kind of useless if you know how hard upgrades were on AA precovid. Guessing ranks of AS 100k won’t be big enough compared to AA EXP to really impact AA much.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Upgrade priority are 100% the primary reason why I chase status, closely followed by the generous RDM earned on transcons, which are the only flights I take because as a “coastal elite” I only fly CA <-> NYC/BOS/smidge sometimes FL.

The introduction of MVPG100k won’t change my flying patterns, but it will shift some of my award travel (with BA avios or the rare time I find AS domestic awards fruitful) to cash or miles + money awards. I’m currently at 91k organically so I should cross the threshold in time for Thanksgiving.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Super duper really bummed about the AA EXP taking away upgrades. Super duper personally feel that G100K > G75K > EXP "ought" to be the priority ......
if I don't MR to 100K at least on the bright side ..... lots and lots of jcoco chocolates
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by maradori
Super duper really bummed about the AA EXP taking away upgrades. Super duper personally feel that G100K > G75K > EXP "ought" to be the priority ......
if I don't MR to 100K at least on the bright side ..... lots and lots of jcoco chocolates
1000% agree and the scales are inbalanced with likely many more AA EXPs than AS 100/75k so the impact is disproportionately on AS elites.
anteater and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
I generally get what you're saying but the added category isn't really adding more people, is it? Just redistributing them through more categories. Basically, an MVPG has the same number of people in front of them for upgrades as they did before. There's just one more label which seems irrelevant.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mtofell
I generally get what you're saying but the added category isn't really adding more people, is it? Just redistributing them through more categories. Basically, an MVPG has the same number of people in front of them for upgrades as they did before. There's just one more label which seems irrelevant.
I could have read their statement wrong, but I think their concern was that an MVP Gold 75K is going from first priority to third priority: 100K, AA top elites, and then 75K. Golds would have it worse at 5th priority, I believe. Someone else posted the AS AA elite upgrade priority earlier..
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
I could have read their statement wrong, but I think their concern was that an MVP Gold 75K is going from first priority to third priority: 100K, AA top elites, and then 75K. Golds would have it worse at 5th priority, I believe. Someone else posted the AS AA elite upgrade priority earlier..
That's how I read it too. I admittedly had forgotten about AA CK/EXP elites being factored into upgrade order when I posted here yesterday.

I do wonder whether all 100Ks will process through upgrades before any AA CK/EXPs, or whether they'll all be lumped together into a single pool to which the upgrade priorities are applied (date of ticket purchase, fare class, etc.). Or will that just depend on how AS IT handles upgrade logic? I've no idea, but James makes a very good point for a major advantage of 100K over 75K: Upgrade queues now that AA elites might be on a flight.

Speculation about order started in this thread around here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...enefits-4.html

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Sep 29, 2021 at 7:43 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.