Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits (Pre-Launch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DeltaFlyingProf
  • Requirements:
    100k Eligible miles earned on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    or 140 Eligible segments flown on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    24 minimum number of flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
  • Flight Benefits:
    Elite bonus miles: 150%

First Class upgrades at the time of booking: Y, B, H, K or M fares
    Premium Class upgrades at the time of booking: All fares except Saver fares
    First and Premium Class upgrades on Alaska non-qualifying fares: 120 hours (Highest waitlist priority)
    Companion upgrades to First Class
    Companion upgrades to Premium Class

First Class guest upgrades (max. 4 per year)
    International upgrade certificates on American Airlines: 2 One-way
  • Airport benefits:
    Priority check-in and boarding
    Free checked bags: 3
    Preferred seating
    Express security line at select airports
    Standby and wait list for full flights
    Alaska Lounge membership discount
    Four Alaska Lounge day passes (max. 4 per year)
  • oneworld priority
    Emerald
More MVP Gold 100K benefits to come.

MVP Gold 100K will launch by the end of January 2021.

Notes:
  • It seems the 24 AS segments required will not include the rollover of AS segments from 2020 for qualification based on 2021 flying. Though notequiteaff reports that the twitter team said they do in post 154, an email reported by tonylop33 in post 178 indicates otherwise. Given that the email is from the director of the loyalty program management, it is safer to assume that only 2021 AS segments will count.
  • Since December 12 2021, the full website of Alaska shows the number of EQMs, the number of segments on partner airlines and Alaska, and a separate count of Alaska marketed and operated flights.
Print Wikipost

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits (Pre-Launch)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
Is cheap TPAC flight crediting really a thing anymore with the way the miles work? Flying a cheap economy fare gets you maybe 25%-30% miles credit. It’s going to be hard to hit 100k on that without spend a lot of money.

I would love to see AS compete with a robust domestic network but it feels like the opposite is happening.
Not anymore, but it's what drove the UA program to be what it is today, and is something AS has been making a visible effort to avoid letting dominate its program and force them into a revenue based program like everybody else.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what anybody's network looks like today in trying to divine their plans for post-covid and the next 5 years. This has been an unbelievable crunch on the airline industry, much, much worse than 9/11, and is potentially coupled with a major rearrangement of how businesses relate to where their employees live and when/where/why they travel for business. I was flying LAX-BOS pretty regularly pre-covid, and was doing it on UA before I switched to AS. UA had just recently made BOS a focus city before the pandemic, and now they don't have any non-stops between their LAX hub and their BOS focus city. It's basically down to AA, B6, and DL, with AS and UA having both dropped it for now.

If I wanted to put a pre-halloween scare into everybody, I might suggest that everything AS is doing right now is to smooth over the transition when they outright buy AA in early 2022.
They:
Joined OW, so they'll have that integration complete with the AS side of things
They're adding a 4th tier to make it easy to map the conversion of AAdvantage flyers to MP. The hinted at future 100K perks will be related to the AA integration, and they're scrubbing implementation of perks so they don't get too generous with the new influx of members from AA. There really wasn't much need for a 100K tier for the current AS, or even pre-covid AS.
They're cutting their flights that are already covered by AA - they won't even have to rearrange any flight schedules to integrate the two airlines.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:18 am

Long time Lurker, first time poster (guess I'm a newbie for this).

Have a question about segments for 100k. Do Alaska award flights count toward the 24 segments requirement in 2021 or do all 24 segments have to be paid flights? I'm 6 segments short (with ample miles) for the 100k status and was considering doing a 4 segment west coast trip (paid run) and wanted to change an already planned trip to an 2 segment award flight as the cost of the same flight would be high. Would the award flights count?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pavo77

Have a question about segments for 100k. Do Alaska award flights count toward the 24 segments requirement in 2021 or do all 24 segments have to be paid flights? I'm 6 segments short (with ample miles) for the 100k status and was considering doing a 4 segment west coast trip (paid run) and wanted to change an already planned trip to an 2 segment award flight as the cost of the same flight would be high. Would the award flights count?
Congratulations on your first post. Award segments do not count. The flights must be eligible to earn miles/segments in Mileage Plan. The 24 segments required must be flown in 2021 so any carry-over segments from 2020 also do not count. If prices are high from your city you could use an award redemption to reposition yourself to a cheaper starting point and fly 2 revenue segments back home.

James
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by pavo77

You can also consider pay with miles + money
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I'm more segments away from 100K than I'm willing to make up, despite being close on miles and crediting nothing but AS flying to Mileage Plan, thanks to a mix of rollover from last year, mostly long segments (HNL-West Coast), and bonus EQMs from premium fares and the 50% boost for all of this year. That's a little frustrating, but only a little, since the first year of 100K looks like a beta version anyway.
It’s a bit annoying that premium fares don’t earn a segment bonus.
rdlmitedu likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It’s a bit annoying that premium fares don’t earn a segment bonus.
Actually, I applaud it. AS is trying to make the system less "gameable" so that people actually have to fly AS with some frequency to earn status--not just cherry pick low fares. Every airline needs to combat MRers, and I, for one (as a business traveller whose employer pays only for coach), much prefer this method to the EQD approach others have taken.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Actually, I applaud it. AS is trying to make the system less "gameable" so that people actually have to fly AS with some frequency to earn status--not just cherry pick low fares. Every airline needs to combat MRers, and I, for one (as a business traveller whose employer pays only for coach), much prefer this method to the EQD approach others have taken.
Yeah, but for me (and others) every AS-only trip is basically two segments since I have to start with a Horizon segment to a hub. So for me 24 trips are just 6 roundtrips to somewhere. For many others it’s 12 roundtrips. Granted, I get to “enjoy” 60 mins of BIS time in a Q400 seat for half my segments, but if you have limited business or leisure travel opportunities, it helps.

And to be clear, I don’t think 24 segments is too high of a requirement in normal travel years for top tier.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yeah, but for me (and others) every AS-only trip is basically two segments since I have to start with a Horizon segment to a hub. So for me 24 trips are just 6 roundtrips to somewhere. For many others it’s 12 roundtrips. Granted, I get to “enjoy” 60 mins of BIS time in a Q400 seat for half my segments, but if you have limited business or leisure travel opportunities, it helps.

And to be clear, I don’t think 24 segments is too high of a requirement in normal travel years for top tier.
Agreed. I don't really have a beef missing 100K because of the 24 segment requirement. This is a weird year and 100K doesn't look to be worth a lot for next year anyway. But when 100% of my EQM is AS and some of it is premium fares, I don't think I'm the customer that's gaming the qualification rules just because my miles flown skew toward longer segments.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by WrightHI; Sep 22, 2021 at 2:00 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Agreed. I don't really have a beef missing 100K because of the 24 segment requirement. This is a weird year and 100K doesn't look to be worth a lot for next year. But when 100% of my EQM is AS and some of it is premium fares, I don't think I'm the customer that's gaming the qualification rules just because my miles flown skew toward longer segments.
As someone who gets most of their AS miles from trans-cons and HI flights, I'm right there with you, but 24 segments is at most 12 round trips---doesn't seem like much to ask for top tier status. We all know plenty of form denizens that fly SEA-FLL and the like for no other reason than to collect status miles as cheaply as possible, so AS has do to something to make those folks work for it, as they can't even be break even with the <$100 one-way AS collects for their first class seats.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
As someone who gets most of their AS miles from trans-cons and HI flights, I'm right there with you, but 24 segments is at most 12 round trips---doesn't seem like much to ask for top tier status. We all know plenty of form denizens that fly SEA-FLL and the like for no other reason than to collect status miles as cheaply as possible, so AS has do to something to make those folks work for it, as they can't even be break even with the <$100 one-way AS collects for their first class seats.
SEA-FLL is longer than any HI flight from the Mainland, even longer than SEA-CUN. Yet 24 segments between SEA & FLL won't get you over 100K even with the 50% bonus. 24 segments seems like a lot but really isn't. It is just another "revenue" component of the AS pseudo-revenue frequent flyer program named "Mileage" Plan that shifts the revenue more towards AS. There has been a continual erosion of EQM earnings on Partner flights for years, the latest being the loss of the 10% COS Bonus on CX PE fares booked into E class. QF, just before that & LA before that & ..... The segments are easy considering all AS flights in the network are sub 2900 miles but attaining the 100K miles is more difficult for the same reason. Since partner EQM for discount Y is so poor there isn't any arbitrage for the dollars spent. As such, those denizens you speak of will spend more on AS if they really want the status, drop out at a lower tier or just bow out. 75K with 12 AS segments is easier to attain than 90K AS+Partner with no AS segment requirement.

I like the AS metal requirement and don't see the needed segments as onerous. It is a great strategy and eliminates those that never fly AS but bank their partner flights to Mileage Plan. They can still choose to do that, but without status, the Elite Bonus is lost, stripping out the value of AS banking. Some will argue that if they aren't flying AS they aren't taking away benefits & upgrades. While that is true, they were vying for the same award seats in Mileage Plan with the miles they banked including their Elite Bonus.

I also forecast that AS will sell more F seats outright as AA Elites will purchase F for the arbitrage in earning AAdvantage EQD based on a percentage of miles flown with their new alliance member & Partner and can do that domestically. Cheap F fares on long routes are attractive so perhaps those <$100 denizens won't be sitting in F SEA-FLL much longer.

I can easily argue that AA Executive Platinum is easier to attain than AS 100K despite the revenue component. You can even argue that it was easier than AS 75K. However, that would mean you would have to be loyal to AA. 😆 While AAdvantage does have some sweet spots, Mileage Plan is a better overall frequent flyer program, at least for now, and AS RDM are easy to accrue.

James
tobikosan and simonsuo like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Yeah, I don't think I'm gaming the system, but I'm certainly benefiting from AS's Covid adaptations to hit a higher level of status than I normally do. I'll enjoy my couple of months of being top tier before 100K kicks in, and I'll enjoy being ahead of most of the crowd for the remainder of next year, but after that it's going to be back to MVPG at least most years (unless AS buys HA, which would be awesome for my travel).
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
One thing I wonder is whether the International upgrade certificates on American Airlines are going to be as restrictive as the ones 75k got this year. Restricting to West coast gateways makes them fairly unappealing to me. I'd like to be able to upgrade from all the other gateways (DFW/ORD being the closest for me).
jona970318 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 12:42 pm

Finally did the calculation for my travel patterns and whats funny about the new setup is that it actually encourages me to credit international partners to AS then move my short hauls to AS. Easy and cheap to do west coast routes to hit that 24 segments ($30 fares SFO-LAX/SNA/etc super easy). In turn that will allow me to basically move most of my premium cabin north america flying to other airlines and get mid tier status there. They lose my premium business travel and get my short haul leisure travel which is fine with me since Im probably not AS target customer anymore.

Sadly based out of SFO there arent too many discount F fares to play arbitrage with anymore, but if I was based in SEA it would be tempted to book those and credit to AA for sure.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
One thing I wonder is whether the International upgrade certificates on American Airlines are going to be as restrictive as the ones 75k got this year. Restricting to West coast gateways makes them fairly unappealing to me. I'd like to be able to upgrade from all the other gateways (DFW/ORD being the closest for me).
Forget the west coast restrictions. LHR only to Europe??? I'm going to be peeved if I have to transit LHR again with its awful security and lines just to use any certs.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
SEA-FLL is longer than any HI flight from the Mainland, even longer than SEA-CUN. Yet 24 segments between SEA & FLL won't get you over 100K even with the 50% bonus. 24 segments seems like a lot but really isn't. It is just another "revenue" component of the AS pseudo-revenue frequent flyer program named "Mileage" Plan that shifts the revenue more towards AS. There has been a continual erosion of EQM earnings on Partner flights for years, the latest being the loss of the 10% COS Bonus on CX PE fares booked into E class. QF, just before that & LA before that & ..... The segments are easy considering all AS flights in the network are sub 2900 miles but attaining the 100K miles is more difficult for the same reason. Since partner EQM for discount Y is so poor there isn't any arbitrage for the dollars spent. As such, those denizens you speak of will spend more on AS if they really want the status, drop out at a lower tier or just bow out. 75K with 12 AS segments is easier to attain than 90K AS+Partner with no AS segment requirement.

I like the AS metal requirement and don't see the needed segments as onerous. It is a great strategy and eliminates those that never fly AS but bank their partner flights to Mileage Plan. They can still choose to do that, but without status, the Elite Bonus is lost, stripping out the value of AS banking. Some will argue that if they aren't flying AS they aren't taking away benefits & upgrades. While that is true, they were vying for the same award seats in Mileage Plan with the miles they banked including their Elite Bonus.

I also forecast that AS will sell more F seats outright as AA Elites will purchase F for the arbitrage in earning AAdvantage EQD based on a percentage of miles flown with their new alliance member & Partner and can do that domestically. Cheap F fares on long routes are attractive so perhaps those <$100 denizens won't be sitting in F SEA-FLL much longer.

I can easily argue that AA Executive Platinum is easier to attain than AS 100K despite the revenue component. You can even argue that it was easier than AS 75K. However, that would mean you would have to be loyal to AA. 😆 While AAdvantage does have some sweet spots, Mileage Plan is a better overall frequent flyer program, at least for now, and AS RDM are easy to accrue.

James
I had to double check about SEA-CUN being shorter than SEA-FLL and I'm in shock 😆
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.