Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Would AS Ever Consider Seat-Back Entertainment (IFE)?

Would AS Ever Consider Seat-Back Entertainment (IFE)?

Old Jul 27, 21, 9:40 pm

Programs: Nectar Card Holder
Originally Posted by 985X View Post
[...] I love flying AS, but I always joke about this "89-year-old airline that doesn't have lie-flat, doesn't have widebodies, doesn't have seat back screens, doesn't fly out of North America, doesn't have apple juice (!) yet still more enjoyable than flying AA"
Not to be a pedant, but Central America is in North America, making Belize, in North America.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
[...] The question still becomes what AS's network will look like outside of SEA in the future. They have not been able to articulate a network strategy outside of SEA for several years now. They would probably be better off spending time and money figuring that out before deciding upon IFE systems.
Hear hear!
Old Jul 27, 21, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama View Post
Not to be a pedant, but Central America is in North America, making Belize, in North America.
Lol, I hope it didn't actually take this long for someone to notice.
Old Jul 29, 21, 9:58 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

Several off-topic posts (JetBlue merger, network strategy) have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator
Tack likes this.
Old Jul 29, 21, 7:38 pm

AS survey PTV

Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow View Post
I think everyone’s on the same page here. A discussion of differing opinions and alternative courses of action is still enjoyable. At least to me anyway.
Well, someone at Alaska is at least curious about seat-back entertaiment because it was mentioned in a survey of benefits AS emailed the other day. Also mentioned...lie-flats.

Last edited by Potreroflyr; Jul 29, 21 at 7:42 pm Reason: correction
Old Jul 29, 21, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
"AVOD is just a fad." -AS
Old Jul 29, 21, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr View Post
Well, someone at Alaska is at least curious about seat-back entertaiment because it was mentioned in a survey of benefits AS emailed the other day. Also mentioned...lie-flats.
Thats the kind of thing worthy of screenshots and a new thread.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 30, 21, 1:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow View Post
Thats the kind of thing worthy of screenshots and a new thread.
I also think that would be very interesting to see!
Old Jul 30, 21, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, HH Gold (Thank You AMEX), Tennessee Squire
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr View Post
Makes sense. At the end of the day they want to make money and be relevant. If being a professional leisure traveler airline, that focuses on value and their mileage plan network isnt cutting it, they better come up with a service structure that drives revenue. I use them for West Coast flying and some Transcons because of the EQD factor for AAdvantage members is very good. . But if theres another AAdvantage option/airline that presents itsself equal to or better.?
Old Jul 31, 21, 4:38 pm

For what it's worth, after UA made their announcement of new seatback IFE coupled with streaming, BT compatibility, etc. I did make a point of asking internally if we would ever re-visit the IFE question, especially since it's clear DL uses that, in part, as a way to chase higher-yield customers.

The answer was an unequivocal, emphatic, NO. Not "You never know." Not, "Well, we'll see what the competition does." It was a flat, firm NO.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Jul 31, 21, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Snowdevil View Post
The answer was an unequivocal, emphatic, NO. Not "You never know." Not, "Well, we'll see what the competition does." It was a flat, firm NO.
Plenty of companies make declarative statements about a given topic only to change their stance later when business needs change.

Example: Caesars Entertainment announced they were against resort fees for their hotels. They even held faux rally with showgirls carrying signs that read "Just Say No to Resort Fee!" and the like.

https://exhibitcitynews.com/showgirl...as-strip-2393/

Less than two years later, the company changed course. Not only did they institute mandatory resort fee, but also they insisted their guests were demanding to pay them!

"This is in response to the increasing demand from our guests to provide a package price instead of the inconvenience of separate fees," [Gary] Thompson [Director of Corporate Communications] said in a statement today.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2013/fe...g-resort-fees/
Old Jul 31, 21, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Snowdevil View Post
For what it's worth, after UA made their announcement of new seatback IFE coupled with streaming, BT compatibility, etc. I did make a point of asking internally if we would ever re-visit the IFE question, especially since it's clear DL uses that, in part, as a way to chase higher-yield customers.

Alaska used to say the same when asked if they would ever fly their own planes to Hawaii. Unequivocally, undeniably, under no circumstances N.O. Nope, not ever. Here we are... I don't think there are every any certainties in this industry besides change. That's the only certainty.
writerguyfl likes this.

Search this Thread