Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Rant] What Is the Point of (Gold) Guest Upgrades (GGU)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] What Is the Point of (Gold) Guest Upgrades (GGU)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by MrMRW
I can basically never find a flight with upgrade space available. I'm trying to fly my GF from SAN to any NYC airport and having clicked on 50+ dates, both short and long term, there is literally never a flight that I can find that allows for a First Class upgrade. When I called Alaska, they fed me a line about how hard it is to get upgrade space and how First Class is sold out forever (which is funny, because I flew SAN to JFK a few weeks ago and was auto-upgraded) - is there some sort of trick or is Gold Guest basically pointless?
Even when you can use them they're like a $25 discount coupon compared to the MVP75 upgrade price.
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Jay K
I've only ever found flights in the past (pre-COVID) when booked 6+ months out.
Yes, advance U availability has been pretty limited recently, but this surprises me. I've used all of my GGUs every year since I started flying AS around 2014, plus more instant upgrades on MVPG qualifying fares. Yes, HNL routes seem to get treated better than others, but I've had decent luck with mid-cons and transcons in the before times, too. Not every time or every route, especially not if it touches SEA, but enough to make advance upgrades a significant contributor to my AS loyalty.
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Yes, advance U availability has been pretty limited recently, but this surprises me. I've used all of my GGUs every year since I started flying AS around 2014, plus more instant upgrades on MVPG qualifying fares. Yes, HNL routes seem to get treated better than others, but I've had decent luck with mid-cons and transcons in the before times, too. Not every time or every route, especially not if it touches SEA, but enough to make advance upgrades a significant contributor to my AS loyalty.
Over-all, GGUs were able to be used on a variety of routes pre-COVID but then the U space mostly dried up and hasn't returned. Are you seeing any U space on trans con flights over a month out?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Over-all, GGUs were able to be used on a variety of routes pre-COVID but then the U space mostly dried up and hasn't returned. Are you seeing any U space on trans con flights over a month out?
Your first sentence was the only point I was trying to make. This year I'm just happy to be able to get to the west coast again and haven't had occasion to look beyond. I will absolutely be disappointed if U space doesn't re-stabilize somewhere near the old level in the next year or two, but I'm not drawing conclusions about what to expect going forward from what's happening now. I'm pretty sure revenue managers' lives haven't gotten any easier as they try to figure out who's traveling now, who's going to be traveling six months from now, etc., so I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack until we get back a little closer to normal.
johnp012001 and anteater like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
People have been flush with cash after saving their travel dollars for the past 15 months, they've been buying more paid first class, which is exacerbated with fewer total flights flying.

I would hope this trend subsidies as we get into more schedule stability and demand softens in the fall. Once that happens, hopefully we see better U space.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by channa
People have been flush with cash after saving their travel dollars for the past 15 months, they've been buying more paid first class, which is exacerbated with fewer total flights flying.
The other side of the coin is that people are out of money since they haven't been working or their tenants haven't been paying rent. The idea that money just keeps streaming in, regardless of what is taking place in the economy as a whole, is certainly optimistic.
ab2013 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mtofell
The other side of the coin is that people are out of money since they haven't been working or their tenants haven't been paying rent. The idea that money just keeps streaming in, regardless of what is taking place in the economy as a whole, is certainly optimistic.
I actually think both perspectives coincide. We have this strange time where life is great for some and terrible for others kinda randomly.
channa and ab2013 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Good thread for GGU info: Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
GGU's live!

Planned a leisure trip to OGG in mid-December, did not yet pull the trigger on tickets, set several alerts on Expert Flyer a month or so back. Received U space availability for the return flight today, quickly booked with a companion pass, successfully applied GGUs expiring in December 2021.
SanDiego1K and Klrduks like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I just used one for IAD-LAX after New Year's. Transcons out of IAD seem to do reasonably well even now.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by finlandia
I just used one for IAD-LAX after New Year's. Transcons out of IAD seem to do reasonably well even now.
what was the difference between upgrade-eligible coach fare and discounted F? I’ll generally buy F outright for the COS bonus
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jrl767
what was the difference between upgrade-eligible coach fare and discounted F? I’ll generally buy F outright for the COS bonus
$330 for just IAD-LAX. I do the same sometimes, but this one was part of a larger trip and I have GGUs to burn.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
I was able to use 6 GGU on PDX-LAX rt in June. Tickets booked about 4 weeks out. I guess I was lucky.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by finlandia
That is another route that is on life support—especially in winter. At least you may get the extra miles when you are rerouted through SEA once the January schedules are firmed up later in the year
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thichbay
I was able to use 6 GGU on PDX-LAX rt in June. Tickets booked about 4 weeks out. I guess I was lucky.
West coast routes like this are actually where the extremely limited U space can frequently be found. In the past I don't think most travelers would burn GGUs on shorter routes like this, but times are changing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.