Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Delayed bags, Carseats, booked thru AmEx Plat...what can I ask for compensation?

Delayed bags, Carseats, booked thru AmEx Plat...what can I ask for compensation?

Old Jul 8, 21, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Looking for advice here. Bags were delayed by ~30 hours, after getting lost at the departing airport. Two carseat bags. When we arrived at destination (which happened to be home), the customer service person said there was no compensation allowed since we are in our hometown.

Any advice here? Should I file a claim with AmEx? Should I press Alaska customer service? Can I "ahem" claim some damages and receipts?
Old Jul 8, 21, 12:11 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by surfer349 View Post
Looking for advice here. Bags were delayed by ~30 hours, after getting lost at the departing airport. Two carseat bags. When we arrived at destination (which happened to be home), the customer service person said there was no compensation allowed since we are in our hometown.

Any advice here? Should I file a claim with AmEx? Should I press Alaska customer service? Can I "ahem" claim some damages and receipts?
I would call into Customer Care and calmly explain the situation. I bet they will offer you something. Though, I don’t recommend attempting to commit fraud.

At the minimum, I could see this falling under the baggage service guarantee, and the comment by AS about no compensation because you arrived at your home airport is not accurate. I landed at my home airport to a missing bag and I received compensation (delivered the following day by AS).
be_rettSEA and RAD_PDX like this.

Last edited by anteater; Jul 8, 21 at 12:20 pm
Old Jul 8, 21, 12:35 pm

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
*edit* nvm, i misread the post.

Call AS and let them know what happened.

How did you get your kids home without car seats?
Old Jul 8, 21, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

So you got all the bags, just 30 hours later? What claim would you file withAmex if you got everything back? And being home, there was no need to buy necessities like clothes and toiletries, correct? That (necessities) is what one would normally claim back from the airline or insurance. AS should give you the 2500 miles or discount code for the bag service guarantee assuming your flew on AS metal. Is there something else you want to claim?
Old Jul 8, 21, 2:00 pm

Programs: Yes
I think a good start is that Ben (CEO / President) resigns. Then, under new leadership AS can begin an investigation.
Finkface and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 8, 21, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe the proper question is do you have anything to substantiate a compensation is warranted, if one would be given.

If you have no incidental expenses due to the delay, it would be difficult for airlines to compensate, as some don't do compensation per day.

Also - route matters.
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 8, 21, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I believe the proper question is do you have anything to substantiate a compensation is warranted, if one would be given.

If you have no incidental expenses due to the delay, it would be difficult for airlines to compensate, as some don't do compensation per day.

Also - route matters.
Correct. And, in most cases, insurance does not apply for events related to the trip home.
Old Jul 8, 21, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer

The AS baggage service office at the destination airport should have offered to send you a discount code as compensation for delayed baggage. As this is a request submitted by them to Customer Care, if they did do this, it may take a few days for you to get an e-mail about it. (I'm curious about the timeline of events: Did you file a claim at the BSO? Were the carseats then delivered to your home?)

Originally Posted by HangryDad View Post
How did you get your kids home without car seats?
Aside: Most if not all AS BSOs keep a small stock of new carseats for this exact situation and should have offered to the OP.
HangryDad likes this.
Old Jul 8, 21, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

BSO = Baggage Service Office.
HangryDad likes this.
Old Jul 8, 21, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
The AS baggage service office at the destination airport should have offered to send you a discount code as compensation for delayed baggage. As this is a request submitted by them to Customer Care, if they did do this, it may take a few days for you to get an e-mail about it.
I would not consider this as "compensation". This should not be the way to handle it anyway.
Old Jul 8, 21, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I would not consider this as "compensation". This should not be the way to handle it anyway.
Fair enough. I was speaking loosely. The actual AS terminology for that in this instance is delayed baggage "apology." This is independent of whether the OP requires/is entitled to compensation per se, which others have already addressed.

Search this Thread