Wiki Posts
Search

AS Ends LAX-JFK 06 Oct 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If LAX-EWR on Alaska goes away too then I simply can't stay with Alaska.
Not willing to give LAX-SFO-EWR a try? The timing would seem to work with a 9:45am EWR departure from SFO. You could come up on the 6am or 7am LAX-SFO. Might have to walk all of 3-4 gates over at SFO for your Newark flight. Get into rainy season here, though, and you'd probably want the longer connection.

Can't come through SFO on the way back, though, and would have a 7:40am or 9am flight to SEA and then down to LAX from there. Not as easy as the SFO connection outbound and could be a deal breaker. I've had a couple flights from the east coast back to SFO via SEA, due to schedule changes, and it ends up being one long day.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tom911
Not willing to give LAX-SFO-EWR a try? The timing would seem to work with a 9:45am EWR departure from SFO. You could come up on the 6am or 7am LAX-SFO. Might have to walk all of 3-4 gates over at SFO for your Newark flight. Get into rainy season here, though, and you'd probably want the longer connection.

Can't come through SFO on the way back, though, and would have a 7:40am or 9am flight to SEA and then down to LAX from there. Not as easy as the SFO connection outbound and could be a deal breaker. I've had a couple flights from the east coast back to SFO via SEA, due to schedule changes, and it ends up being one long day.
well played

this entire discussion comes down to how willing people are willing to put their money (time, butt-in-seat, RDM/EQM accumulation) where their mouth (FT persona) is
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
As a leisure traveler, this is bad news. No more intentionally buying LAX-JFK which I know they won't operate then rebook via SEA for extra miles!
anteater likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
well played

this entire discussion comes down to how willing people are willing to put their money (time, butt-in-seat, RDM/EQM accumulation) where their mouth (FT persona) is
That really depends on whether or not the mouth is filled with a ham and egg wrap, or a filet of actual boeuf.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What probably hurts AS more on JFK-LAX is JFK being a spoke, not a hub.There’s very little reason to be loyal to an airline that turns everything east of SAN into flyover country.

See also: WN saying sayonara to EWR, but doing well with enough destinations/slots to be relevant out of LGA.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I've avoided a lot of the "AS destroyed VX" stuff because it's generally just not productive, but I'm an Alaska FF as a carryover from Virgin American and being based at LAX one of the things I really liked about VX was having the flexibility to choose between EWR and JFK and mix and match for the inbound and outbound on a single trip. AA still flying LAX-JFK helps, but a ton of the flights are B6, which does jack for me as an AS FF.
This was about 4 or 5 years ago? I recall pretty vividly my disappointment learning that AS had won over B6 on the BO, a sentiment which I'm sure many SFO based flyers had shared. At the time, I really thought B6 would have been a much better fit. But, OW entry changed all of that, at least for me. As Tack saliently observed, for those of us who find OW status important, the path to OWE is probably one of, if not the, most important drivers in our decision making process. Whenever BOs or mergers occur, you always have to wait a few years, at least, to see how they turn out. While initially disappointed, today I couldn't be happier that AS had won over B6. And, without hesitation for the initial 75K - 100K, they will get the overwhelming majority of my business even without lie-flats or if I have do a layover, schedule permitting, in SEA. Yes, OW is that important to me.

By the way, those numbers & stats Chris posted for SFO is interesting. 90% drop from TPACs! Given that most of SE Asia have given very little indication of backing off from their zero/near zero covid "line in the sand," I don't see this changing anytime soon.

PS - Looks as *if* maybe (hopefully) some SE Asian countries are starting change their tune on that at or near zero covid stance.
worldwidedreamer and simonsuo like this.

Last edited by Visconti; Jun 27, 2021 at 4:36 pm Reason: PS...
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:38 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Well, I have tickets for October 8-12. I imagine AS will not officially cancel them till the last moment to keep the $. The itinerary still shows up in my account but I know they don't sell tickets for those flights. AS will be a regional West coast airline quite soon.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by a7m
Well, I have tickets for October 8-12. I imagine AS will not officially cancel them till the last moment to keep the $. The itinerary still shows up in my account but I know they don't sell tickets for those flights. AS will be a regional West coast airline quite soon.
The flights were removed last night. Feel free to get your refund.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What probably hurts AS more on JFK-LAX is JFK being a spoke, not a hub.There’s very little reason to be loyal to an airline that turns everything east of SAN into flyover country.

See also: WN saying sayonara to EWR, but doing well with enough destinations/slots to be relevant out of LGA.
Unless of course, you’re a “coastal elite” and only fly into cities on the coast anyways...
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911

Yeah, I'm reluctant to lock myself into SFO connections and having to route through SEA as a matter of course is a nonstarter. When I moved to Los Angeles it was literally "crap, guess I'm a United flyer now" followed by finding out VX also flew LAX-EWR. Willing to do a weird routing if I absolutely need the EQM, but not all the time.

The timing of dropping LAX-JFK shouldn't matter for requalfiying this year. Between work travel next month and flying to see my family in December I should only need one more flight to requalify this year. So this is something I need to keep tabs on for next year more, not an immediate decision point. It's going to come down to what they do with LAX-EWR, if that stays I'm inclined to stay with AS and deal with the inconvenience of a lot of the "AA" flights being B6 metal, otherwise I'm probably going to jump to going with AAdvantage for where I credit everything but flying AS and B6 as much as possible.
tom911 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Unless of course, you’re a “coastal elite” and only fly into cities on the coast anyways...
It’s not a huge market, which is why VX ‘s owners sold out and never really went big time the same way B6 did. Every other airline has action in NYC that helps build their NYC portfolio to make selling $99 transcons in Y bearable (as well as premium transcon that also helps make that bearable).

It seems to me AS is going to try to do at JFK what they did at DAL; they amputate the losers (JFK-LAX, DAL-DCA/LGA) and see what they can make work.

(Fun fact: AS drove WN off of SEA/SFO-DAL- so apparently they can make DAL work. Wouldn’t expect them to drive off B6 or DL, but they might make some routes work.)
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, this is about the least surprising news I've heard lately. I'm honestly surprised they stayed around this long.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
i agree with many of the folks here, LAX-JFK is hard for AS to compete. As for EWR, a lounge is deadly needed. Like a zoo each time I was there. With LGA seeing big improvements, EWR clearly the worst one now. Wondering if AS will ever go to LGA.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by simonsuo
i agree with many of the folks here, LAX-JFK is hard for AS to compete. As for EWR, a lounge is deadly needed. Like a zoo each time I was there. With LGA seeing big improvements, EWR clearly the worst one now. Wondering if AS will ever go to LGA.
Perimeter rule at LGA would be an issue for AS I would think.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by simonsuo
Tried LGA via DAL, and did very poorly. Agreed on EWR. They’re working with AA to see what they can do to get the AC re-opened. For me, a lounge is a must have in EWR.
Eastbay1K, NoLaGent and simonsuo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.