Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I book my Air for 2022 Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Should I book my Air for 2022 Cruise

I am taking a Cruise out of Long Beach at the end of February and I found a R/T from SJC on Alaska Air to LAX for $ 208 in First Class vs $61 less in Coach. I thought for the cost its totally worth it. My question is with COVID Travel I was wondering if I should wait or buy the ticket now?

Will the airfare go up between now and lets say late Fall early Winter? I am totally going to do the First Class as it includes luggage and Lounge Access .

I figure if I have a 2nd bag I'll be saving $$$$. Also if my Cruise does not go I can retain the value for up to a year and just pay the Fare Difference as opposed to Change fee and Fare Difference?

So if I book now or later and pay more either way I won't be loosing money if I can use the Ticket Value as I know I'll go to LA to visit Relatives .

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
No way to predict fares but you can use data points to get an idea of what you're getting.

Lowest F fare in the SJC-LAX market is currently $69 one way. SFO-LAX is $89 each way. April is not off season, so higher than that ballpark would be a reasonable expectation if you're chasing the best fare. But no guarantees.

So you're getting a good fare, but not the best fare. Depends what you're trying to accomplish and the usability of AS credits if you were to change if flights went lower.

btw, not sure where you live, but if SFO is doable, SFO should have a lounge by then, and AS includes lounge access on Paid F tickets.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
No way to predict fares but you can use data points to get an idea of what you're getting.

Lowest F fare in the SJC-LAX market is currently $69 one way. SFO-LAX is $89 each way. April is not off season, so higher than that ballpark would be a reasonable expectation if you're chasing the best fare. But no guarantees.

So you're getting a good fare, but not the best fare. Depends what you're trying to accomplish and the usability of AS credits if you were to change if flights went lower.

btw, not sure where you live, but if SFO is doable, SFO should have a lounge by then, and AS includes lounge access on Paid F tickets.
Thanks for this. I live near SJC so its better for me to fly from SJC.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:38 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
yeah I think it’s way early to book paid tickets for spring 2022.

Alternately it looks like Southwest flies SJC-LGB, would also get you the free bags and save you a taxi/Uber ride (or an hour and a half on the bus)
PV_Premier likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by danielonn
Thanks for this. I live near SJC so its better for me to fly from SJC.
SJC doesn't have an Alaska lounge, so if you're factoring that into your benefits for first class, you won't be getting it there. If you have it for your return from LAX, you should, though. Also note, that these flights are pretty short, so don't expect a whole lot of service in first class either.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonei
yeah I think it’s way early to book paid tickets for spring 2022.

Alternately it looks like Southwest flies SJC-LGB, would also get you the free bags and save you a taxi/Uber ride (or an hour and a half on the bus)
Good call except I do not like SW's policy of only checking bags 4 Hours before if lets say my cruise arrives at 9:00 AM and the flight is only at 5:00 PM or later. Where can I store my luggage? Is there a hotel who will do it for a tip? I will never again use the Ship's God Awful excuse of their bus having used it once for Princess coming in off a Panama Canal Cruise at San Pedro. I will pay to Uber/Lyft it and would much prefer spending time at LAX enjoying a few drinks.

I would much prefer Alaska in First Class . So my next question is could the price go down to $170? If so I'll wait but when should I book it? I can get my preferred seat 1A if I book now vs later.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I booked it for $208 and left it at that.
LWkitty likes this.

Last edited by danielonn; Jun 16, 2021 at 9:40 am
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
You may as well just book it. If the price goes down, you can always just cancel and rebook and store the fare differential in your wallet for another trip.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
That's a great price for a First Class rt ticket within CA. I'd buy it now.

Also, super jealous that you'll be on the Panorama! You're going to have a blast.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LWkitty
That's a great price for a First Class rt ticket within CA. I'd buy it now.

Also, super jealous that you'll be on the Panorama! You're going to have a blast.
I bought it as a treat to myself! I wish you can come too!
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You may as well just book it. If the price goes down, you can always just cancel and rebook and store the fare differential in your wallet for another trip.
Exactly as anyways I use the funds.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
SJC doesn't have an Alaska lounge, so if you're factoring that into your benefits for first class, you won't be getting it there. If you have it for your return from LAX, you should, though. Also note, that these flights are pretty short, so don't expect a whole lot of service in first class either.
I have flown FC SJC-LAX r/t so if I get a Woodford I'm fine. At SJC I can use the Club@SJC. Also you can use the lounge on arrival as I tell the agent SJC does not have an Alaska Lounge.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
You are on vacation, for $61 difference book the first class tickets and enjoy. Heck, you will blow a lot more than that in the vacation itself. If the price drops, cancel and rebook. You can’t lose really and by booking now you are protected.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
You are on vacation, for $61 difference book the first class tickets and enjoy. Heck, you will blow a lot more than that in the vacation itself. If the price drops, cancel and rebook. You can’t lose really and by booking now you are protected.
That's my theory and therapy😁. You can't see a Therapist for $61😂 I booked it with ease!
Waitlisted, pcoll and LWkitty like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.