Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Responds to Southwest's 50%-Off Sale (6/15-17/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist

Has anyone seen any evidence of Alaska matching Southwest's current 3-day sale for 50% off flights in the fall?

If you do, please post here.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:37 am

Southwest jacked up the base price then put up a "sale". Even with their 50% code the price is still more expensive then what I booked with them last month. Let's hope AS won't participate in a similar deceptive practice.
ymn likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Got an email from Alaska today touting fares "starting at $49". 🤷‍♂️
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Southwest jacked up the base price then put up a "sale". Even with their 50% code the price is still more expensive then what I booked with them last month. Let's hope AS won't participate in a similar deceptive practice.
Probably depends on your route. Southwest OAK/SFO/SJC-ATL is now $66-$88 each way many days in the fall, which is a deal.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A few weeks back when DL has an Alaska destination sale, Alaska quitely matched it. I took advantage of LAX-ANC 120 each way right away. I need a Labor day leisure destination sale, please. But for now, my tracked prices to FCA, BOI, IDA, RAP still 400-600 in main.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simonsuo
A few weeks back when DL has an Alaska destination sale, Alaska quitely matched it. I took advantage of LAX-ANC 120 each way right away. I need a Labor day leisure destination sale, please. But for now, my tracked prices to FCA, BOI, IDA, RAP still 400-600 in main.
My guess is that most of the real sales will be for travel immediately after Labor Day when most of the leisure travel takes a break until the holidays and there isn't the usual business travel to fill-in the gaps.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
AS certainly doesn't have clean hands in this respect (and I suspect all airlines likely participate as well).

This is a practice that I've noticed Alaska has been doing for at least a few years now, particularly with the %off promo codes they issue. That is the worst offender in terms of deception.

The next worst is nearly every week they claim a "flash sale" is happening and pricing actually reflects no change from the days prior to the "sale". It really is eye opening when you start shopping for flights nearly every day, see a "sale" advertised the next day, and notice those same flights have not changed at all or actually increased in price to compensate for the promo codes.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:39 am
Original Poster

I think I'm seeing some matching as we speak. AS SMF-SAN going down from $137 roundtrip to $73.

Take a look at your fall plans, everybody!
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
PDX-DEN $94 RT, PDX-SAN $104 RT, PDX-DFW $114 RT, and PDX-MCI/ORD $134 RT are all pretty good if you are willing to fly saver fares. The extra $40 each way to upgrade to main cabin puts a bit of a dent in the appeal. You can get LAX-SEA-ORD-MIA to book for $92 with LAX-SEA-ORD in main cabin on AS and ORD-MIA as a G fare on AA (earns 75%). That's about 0.0255 cpm for EQM which is not too bad for those seeking out mileage runs.
buschoi and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
PDX-DEN $94 RT, PDX-SAN $104 RT, PDX-DFW $114 RT, and PDX-MCI/ORD $134 RT are all pretty good if you are willing to fly saver fares. The extra $40 each way to upgrade to main cabin puts a bit of a dent in the appeal. You can get LAX-SEA-ORD-MIA to book for $92 with LAX-SEA-ORD in main cabin on AS and ORD-MIA as a G fare on AA (earns 75%). That's about 0.0255 cpm for EQM which is not too bad for those seeking out mileage runs.
LAX-SEA-ORD-MIA for $92 has been there for a while (typically Wednesday departure iirc), but if you want a better experience, LAX-MIA on AA direct is $64 one-way with 5X 77W and 1X 788 daily frequency. With low season and 52 J seats on 77W, almost guaranteed you can get a UG to lie-flat as a 75k
Sky Dreamer and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 985X
LAX-SEA-ORD-MIA for $92 has been there for a while (typically Wednesday departure iirc), but if you want a better experience, LAX-MIA on AA direct is $64 one-way with 5X 77W and 1X 788 daily frequency. With low season and 52 J seats on 77W, almost guaranteed you can get a UG to lie-flat as a 75k
I seriously considering canceling my JFK mileage run and switch to this, once I am 75k in July. And they should provide full meals on J at least in September and afterward?

LAX-HNL $162 roundtrip in saver this fall, VERY few dates available, all mid-week. Main is $240.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:59 pm

The $92 is lower than I have seen on several dates. Your plan is nice in theory but those fares only earn 25% or 50%. That said, it’s not a bad idea to tack on MIA-LAX on a 777 to get you home after the $92 run. Well under $200 all in…
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The $92 is lower than I have seen on several dates. Your plan is nice in theory but those fares only earn 25% or 50%. That said, it’s not a bad idea to tack on MIA-LAX on a 777 to get you home after the $92 run. Well under $200 all in…
Well in theory those fares only earn 25% or 50%, but if you have actually flown those and got UG to J, you might get a surprise when you see the miles posted.
I can only say as much as I could, it's your time to discover the beauty behind those fares
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by simonsuo
I seriously considering canceling my JFK mileage run and switch to this, once I am 75k in July. And they should provide full meals on J at least in September and afterward?

LAX-HNL $162 roundtrip in saver this fall, VERY few dates available, all mid-week. Main is $240.
They have been providing full-meal service (4 choices printed on a menu) served on a tray, metal cutlery, noise-canceling headphones, and even amenity kits since it is a "Flagship Business" route. If you are under 26, you can book on studentuniverse for $115 RT, and it's a bulk fare. I'm thinking of just flying that every weekend for fun. Because why not lol
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:17 pm

You've said too much already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.