Wiki Posts
Search

Instantly-upgradeable fares question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Instantly-upgradeable fares question

I'm currently 75k from the status challenge earlier this year and have flown a few AS flights. I'm now looking to book my first round-trip flight using a companion ticket. I'm looking at flights next year and U inventory is available for both flights. If I buy the "First Class Upgrade" fare (which is only about $100 more expensive each way), I understand that me and my companion would be immediately upgraded to F. But If I am not able to maintain 75k status into next year, will the F seats stick? Or, if Alaska cancels these particular flights, would I be rebooked on alternate flights in F as a lower-status or non-status member (or get downgraded to Y)?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Yes
If you’re purchasing a GGU eligible fare you will need to apply a GGU to each ticket after checkout. If you’re purchasing a qualifying instant FC upgrade fare, that will automatically upgrade to FC. Both scenarios require U space to be available.

Instant Upgrade Fares: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ntary-upgrades

GGU Usage: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I'm currently 75k from the status challenge earlier this year and have flown a few AS flights. I'm now looking to book my first round-trip flight using a companion ticket. I'm looking at flights next year and U inventory is available for both flights. If I buy the "First Class Upgrade" fare (which is only about $100 more expensive each way), I understand that me and my companion would be immediately upgraded to F. But If I am not able to maintain 75k status into next year, will the F seats stick? Or, if Alaska cancels these particular flights, would I be rebooked on alternate flights in F as a lower-status or non-status member (or get downgraded to Y)?
I think the F seats would stick even after you lose your status....in fact, most people report being on the upgrade list based on the status they had when they booked the ticket even if they lose that status later on--not sure if that's the case but I'm guessing it is. I'm guessing it would be cheaper just to apply a couple of GGUs instead of paying for the instantly upgradeable fare.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater
If you’re purchasing a GGU eligible fare you will need to apply a GGU to each ticket after checkout. If you’re purchasing a qualifying instant FC upgrade fare, that will automatically upgrade to FC. Both scenarios require U space to be available.

Instant Upgrade Fares: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ntary-upgrades

GGU Usage: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
Thanks. I've already used my GGUs. This would be a qualifying instant F upgrade fare (more expensive than the fare for GGUs). U space is available now, but I'm wondering what, if anything, happens if I'm no longer 75k at the time of flights (or how my ticket would be treated if AS cancels these flights).
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think the F seats would stick even after you lose your status....in fact, most people report being on the upgrade list based on the status they had when they booked the ticket even if they lose that status later on--not sure if that's the case but I'm guessing it is. I'm guessing it would be cheaper just to apply a couple of GGUs instead of paying for the instantly upgradeable fare.
Thanks, yes GGU fare is definitely cheaper but I've used mine already. How do you think AS would handle a situation where they cancelled the flight? Would I be rebooked on alternate flights in F or Y?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, yes GGU fare is definitely cheaper but I've used mine already. How do you think AS would handle a situation where they cancelled the flight? Would I be rebooked on alternate flights in F or Y?
If the flights cancelled or changed, the system would auto-re-book you into F class if the plane had a F cabin. I had a PDX-SEA flight cancel once and I got a complementary upgrade prior to the cancellation and the system re-booked me in F for PDX-SMF-SEA presumably since the Q400 flight option doesn't offer First Class. Needless to say, I wanted the miles and the First Class seat so I took the LONG way to SEA
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I've already used my GGUs. This would be a qualifying instant F upgrade fare (more expensive than the fare for GGUs). U space is available now, but I'm wondering what, if anything, happens if I'm no longer 75k at the time of flights (or how my ticket would be treated if AS cancels these flights).
Wow, you may be one of the few that isn't flush with unused GGUs....congrats on finding the U space unicorn
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:14 am

I'm in the same boat... have 75k now, will be down to zero status in 2022. Looking at booking a trip using a combination of instant upgrades and GGUs for 2022. Is it still safe to assume the upgrades will survive schedule changes, etc., even after I lose status?

Thanks FT!
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Wow, you may be one of the few that isn't flush with unused GGUs....congrats on finding the U space unicorn
The worthless GGU tide may be shifting a bit. I was able to use two yesterday booking PDX > OGG routes this fall . Lots of split itineraries with only the runs up/down the west coast having the upgrade but I did find a couple to Hawaii.

I also must admit to being kind of a GGU fool. I had no idea I could use them on my own flights. The name "Gold GUEST Upgrade" led me to believe they were only to give to other people. I probably would have learned this sooner had I actually been able to find any flights that were upgradable.
anteater and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.