Wiki Posts
Search

Refreshed First Class Seat

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP GOLD 75K, IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR
Refreshed First Class Seat

This year, I have decided to get MVP Gold 75 K. After hitting Gold, I have been fortunate to be upgraded. The latest being to First on a 737-700 JNU-SEA, a 2-hour flight.
After experiencing this, I feel the product is a downgrade.
The seat bottom cushion was not comfortable. After a relatively short 2 hour flight, it was noticeable.
The overall quality was poor; the armrest cover on the inner and outer seats was tearing apart. The seats creaked loudly when sitting/ moving. My travel companion had the same experience.

I noticed when the passenger behind me used the footrest, it shook my whole seat. I tested this on another flight, and it did the same thing, which is really annoying when you are trying to sleep.
Hopefully, this was just a used and abused aircraft.

I want to get other user's experiences.

Last edited by Jason907; May 23, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Old May 23, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It's been an ongoing debate over the last several years as the Airbus' were retrofitted with the same interior; the newly delivered MAX's have it as well. While I feel as though the old seats are more comfortable, I think the new ones are still quite comfortable and I like the addition of the cup holders and tablet holders. The footrests don't do much for me but I can see how they would be a plus for shorter folks. The overall cabin aesthetics are a big improvement too, with the exception of the new bulkheads.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I'm in the boat that I will absolutely take the new seats over the old every day of the week. The old seats, when reclined, felt like they provided no support for my lumbar region. I frequently would shove a a pillow in between. If I wanted to sleep on a flight I would actually decline FC. The new seats I can curl up and be out like a baby now. So I personally love them.
PDXFlyBoy and logicalrealist like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: AS 75K
I'm usually on 737-800s and when upgraded to FC have had some pretty rough seats. Several times when reclining it sounds like the mechanism is broken and the seat back seems to fall of to one side or another. Also, just the overall design has always seemed pretty inefficient. With all that space why are there no real cupholders? It's always seemed odd the FAs have to walk through and tell us all to hold our bottles of water for takeoff so they don't roll away (maybe this was the real reason they went to square cartons?)
Old May 24, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 100K
I haven't noticed any change in comfort to the seat itself. To RAD_PDX's point, as a shorter person I definitely love the foot rests. On the other hand, my wife is actually too short to make use of them. I haven't noticed any seat movement when passengers behind me use the footrest, BUT I'm not really sensitive to it as I'm used to passengers just full on using the seat in front of them has a handhold for leverage to get up, which is far more bothersome. I also really appreciate the tablet/phone holder and cup holders.

I'd certainly take these seats over the old FC seats for marginal increase comfort (due to foot rest) and the extra "convenience" features. Maybe they still need some breaking in for those that feel the seat cushion isn't as comfortable?
ACBLtd likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the feedback. I will agree the new interior setup looks better. The new bulk head design I’m not into, but otherwise is nice.
A lot of good points about the length of flight. Alaska’s longest routes are 6 1/2 hours so this product is appropriate.
I guess I was just a little disappointed when companies have the opportunity to update/ install new interiors and somehow go backwards. Alaska always seems willing to throw millions of dollars at “celebrity chefs” to produce F grade meals (Tom Douglas).
I also miss 4 rows of first class seats as I find getting upgrades are less now. I can only imagine the pain loyal Virgin America flyers felt after the take over.
I exclusively use all my miles to fly partners particularly Cathay pacific premium class/business up and those products are just in another league.
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: Yes
I love the new cup holders. Yes, I drink. 🤙🏻🤞🏻🥃
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I like the new cup holders too and the design of the new seats looks pretty sleek.
Old May 24, 2021, 6:02 pm

I also find that the F seats lack support for the thighs (back support is fine for me) ... I like to use the blanket (at least when they give it out) as a "pillow" to sit on, and that works for me.
Old May 24, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
The seats are more “stiff” to me but this is fine for my needs. I like the cup holder, angled plug in for my device charger and the foot rest. My flights are typically 3-4 hours (midcon) or up and down the coast.
Old May 24, 2021, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

My companion and I got upgraded from JFK-SEA today on the Airbus with the new seats. I didn’t realize the A321 has 4 rows for first class. Legroom is amazing as they have fixed the power boxes taking up leg space under the rear seat.
I am sticking to my guns with the seat bottom being very firm.
I did notice a lot of other seats creaking really badly. Which will only get worse with age.
Hot food was back. I recommend skipping the ravioli it was really subpar.
Don’t get me wrong it feels good to fly and get back to some lever of pre covid service.
Our flight attendant pre poured and mixed all drink for us which was a nice touch. I miss the glass cups though..
Old May 24, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
What I really wish they would fix is the power outlets. They are great for a the first few months, but these universal any plug in the world style deals just lose their grip over time and get worse and worse. The old seats have this problem too.

I don’t have a problem with the comfort of the seats, but I rarely recline mine and I definitely enjoy the drink holders.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It's been an ongoing debate over the last several years as the Airbus' were retrofitted with the same interior; the newly delivered MAX's have it as well. While I feel as though the old seats are more comfortable, I think the new ones are still quite comfortable and I like the addition of the cup holders and tablet holders. The footrests don't do much for me but I can see how they would be a plus for shorter folks. The overall cabin aesthetics are a big improvement too, with the exception of the new bulkheads.
I was thinking about your post today. Got a complimentary FC upgrade on the old product and during drink service my seat mate knocked my drink from the middle arm rest all over the place. So yes I’ll take the new product with the integrated cup holders that’s a legit better design.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The new seats are more ergonomic for sure with very good support. And the headrest is flexible. If you are comparing with those old black seats, yes they feel comfier at first with a softer cushion, but the support is just lacking quite a bit. I haven't experience footrest problem though, maybe all passengers sitting behind me are gentle enough when using or stow it.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
My tush definitely appreciate old seats more. New seat cushion definitely is thin on that department.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.