AS Announces Service to Belize

Old Oct 17, 21, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold · A3 Gold · IB Plata
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Seeing decent prices and even U space...flights don't seem too full yet. If Belize City was worth a visit for a 3 day weekend, I would consider it but I dont have the time or $$$ to use this as a "jumping off point" to other destinations which is what it sounds like most people do.
To be fair a good number of those other destinations are like an hour away. It's a tiny country. Also impoverished, without a ton of infrastructure. If you're looking for a Cancun alternative this isn't it.
Old Oct 17, 21, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
To be fair a good number of those other destinations are like an hour away. It's a tiny country. Also impoverished, without a ton of infrastructure. If you're looking for a Cancun alternative this isn't it.
local jumper runs continuously to Ambergris Caye and thus caye is relaxing fun and safe.
Old Oct 17, 21, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Delta DM, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
If Belize City was worth a visit for a 3 day weekend, I would consider it but I dont have the time or $$$ to use this as a "jumping off point" to other destinations which is what it sounds like most people do.
Some more context here, for a lot of people (though not all), those “other destinations” are the islands with the beaches and hotels. BZE is about as far from Caye Caulker’s airport as IAD is from the US capitol, and less than LAX to Disneyland. (SPR is about 10 miles further.)

The biggest difference here is that instead of a car or train from the big, int’l airport to the tourist destination, you take a plane or a boat. Though, admittedly, you don’t even have the option of just flying commercial directly to the smaller, closer airport. But lots of people use LAX/IAD for those places.

Flights are about hourly and take 10-15 min. Both Tropic Air and Maya Island Air serve both destinations. The boat takes more like 45min (or 90 to San Pedro), but is under $20 each way.

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Old Oct 17, 21, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I’d consider “this isn’t Cancun” to be an actual positive. The Zona Hotelera didn’t really appeal to me. A friend called it “very south Texas full of partying college kids”. But I liked getting out of the city to Isla Mujeres or down the coast for more local feel, which isn’t too hard to do, which seems to be what you’re talking about here?
Old Oct 17, 21, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold · A3 Gold · IB Plata
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I’d consider “this isn’t Cancun” to be an actual positive. The Zona Hotelera didn’t really appeal to me. A friend called it “very south Texas full of partying college kids”. But I liked getting out of the city to Isla Mujeres or down the coast for more local feel, which isn’t too hard to do, which seems to be what you’re talking about here?
Exactly. I've spent great times at various eco lodges in the Cayo district, and back in the day Placencia was nice in a crusty way but I think it's been thoroughly gentrified now. The comments upthread about the country lacking American chain hotels makes me think some potential visitors might need to adjust their expectations.
Old Oct 17, 21, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Exactly. I've spent great times at various eco lodges in the Cayo district, and back in the day Placencia was nice in a crusty way but I think it's been thoroughly gentrified now. The comments upthread about the country lacking American chain hotels makes me think some potential visitors might need to adjust their expectations.
One of my favorite vacation trips probably 15 years ago was Placencia. Little cabin on the beach not far from a little non-pretentious beach bar. Fresh fish, key lime pie, cold Belikin beer and panty rippers and a bunch of good books. Good snorkeling, too. I think they had a hurricane blow through a few years ago? AS’ new flights make me want to check it out again. And unlike my wife I haven’t seen the cayes. Those flights on Tropic Air down to Placencia are fun. A couple of stops on dirt strips to drop off or pick up passengers, like a bus. Fond memories.

The jungle can be a fun destination, too. We stayed at the Banana Bank jungle lodge. Was a lot more rustic then. Lots of fun side trips incl. Tikal in Guatemala (which resulted in the worst case of food poisoning (Tikal Tummy) I have ever had the misfortune to experience anywhere).

https://www.bananabank.com
Old Oct 18, 21, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Mmm Belikin. Like the stout!

And... Marie Sharp's. I think I still have a bottle or two- tasty sauces.

Swimming in the split... that was interesting (and quite the current) - snorkeling was fun!

Should have looked at this more with the recently expired PFD sale. Oh well...
Old Oct 19, 21, 12:47 am

Is anyone else here booked on the inaugural? We're on SEA-BZE 11/19
Old Oct 19, 21, 10:20 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Selfishly, I'd love to see AUS-LIR. Would also be a nice connection point for SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX - LIR.
Old Oct 19, 21, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
Selfishly, I'd love to see AUS-LIR. Would also be a nice connection point for SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX - LIR.
Well, I mean AUS-LIR is available on AA (flight starts 11/2). Not sure there would be enough traffic from AUS to support both carriers flying there.

Regards
Old Oct 19, 21, 10:58 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Well, I mean AUS-LIR is available on AA (flight starts 11/2). Not sure there would be enough traffic from AUS to support both carriers flying there.
You're probably right, which is why I started with "selfishly." AA adding the route will be nice... it's been WN via HOU, otherwise.
Old Oct 19, 21, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Mmm Belikin. Like the stout!

And... Marie Sharp's. I think I still have a bottle or two- tasty sauces.

Swimming in the split... that was interesting (and quite the current) - snorkeling was fun!

Should have looked at this more with the recently expired PFD sale. Oh well...

They sold personal floatation devices? For snorkelers?

Marie Sharp’s…. I have seen in US grocery stores. So ubiquitous in Belize, though… I must have gone through a couple of bottles during a week.

This thread brings back memories and I have a couple of companion passes burning a whole in my AS wallet. Time to start planning…
Old Oct 19, 21, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CalanMan View Post
Is anyone else here booked on the inaugural? We're on SEA-BZE 11/19
Yes, I'm currently in 6A on the SEA-BZE Inaugural. F is full so I don't think I'll be moving.
I'm flying to SEA from BOS the day before, that upgrade cleared. I must be on one of the instant upgrade awards.
CalanMan likes this.
Old Oct 19, 21, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Yes, I'm currently in 6A on the SEA-BZE Inaugural. F is full so I don't think I'll be moving.
I'm flying to SEA from BOS the day before, that upgrade cleared. I must be on one of the instant upgrade awards.
Yeah, as far as I could tell, they only opened up the top fare buckets for that first flight. First was just J. My non-saver F award actually made sense from a cpm perspective, which is kinda crazy.
Old Oct 19, 21, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CalanMan View Post
Yeah, as far as I could tell, they only opened up the top fare buckets for that first flight. First was just J. My non-saver F award actually made sense from a cpm perspective, which is kinda crazy.
I paid 35K points for the outbound and 40K for the return. I need to see if more favorable return flight opens up using another airlines points. I was excited for 2 stopovers in SEA then remembered its November.
I'm currently spending 3 nights at an eco lodge near San Ignacio and 4 nights in Caye caulker. I really don't want to stay in Belize city for the early return flight. its just hard to get since everyone is coming home from Thanksgiving
beckoa likes this.

Search this Thread