FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AK Rental Cars this Summer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2039971-ak-rental-cars-summer.html)

williwaw May 11, 2021 7:47 pm

AK Rental Cars this Summer

Mods, grant me a little leniency here because it is not strictly an AS issue. But rental cars are either wildly expensive or not available in ANC and FAI this summer. Get creative if you are planning travel. We felt like we were really getting stuck with bad rates at $800/week for a compact in June at ANC and then I went and looked to reprice it they are sold out. Hearing similar from others in FAI.

Alternatives like Turo don't even have that much.

PDXPremier May 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw (Post 33244760)
Mods, grant me a little leniency here because it is not strictly an AS issue. But rental cars are either wildly expensive or not available in ANC and FAI this summer. Get creative if you are planning travel. We felt like we were really getting stuck with bad rates at $800/week for a compact in June at ANC and then I went and looked to reprice it they are sold out. Hearing similar from others in FAI.

Alternatives like Turo don't even have that much.

I was in FAI last Saturday for a mileage run and planned to rent a car for the day, but literally every place was sold out so I used Lyft (no Uber cars were available) which worked fine for getting around town.

writerguyfl May 12, 2021 5:24 am

Be prepared to spend a small fortune to rent a car for your next trip — if you can find a vehicle at all.

Across the U.S., rental car rates are on average roughly 30% higher compared to May 2019, according to the same survey, while in in Hawaii and Florida rates are up more than 50%.

Rental cars in Anchorage, Alaska, are already booked through the end of the summer. "You really can't get a rental car at any price right now," Weinberg [founder and CEO of Auto Slash] said.

Source (published May 10, 2021): https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rental-...avel-rebounds/

simonsuo May 12, 2021 10:35 am

PSA, Hertz at Fairbank closed for the whole summer (5/11/2021-9/30/2021), and even you hold a valid reservation booked directly, they will not notice you. I made a reservations months ago for my Fairbank trips two weeks out from now, and ALL fairbanks rentals are sold out on my dates. Turo are way to expensive, and the one I'm looking at still no response from the host. From what I can see now, I will need to cancel the whole trip most likely.
For my Independence day weekend, I booked in March with Avis, and when I want to extend 1 more day in April, the only option is to go up one class (the last class left) with double the price. I end up with adding a separate reservation from budget.
For shoulder season the rail option is very limited, yet it is another option during the regular summer season.

williwaw May 12, 2021 11:12 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo (Post 33245964)
PSA, Hertz at Fairbank closed for the whole summer (5/11/2021-9/30/2021), and even you hold a valid reservation booked directly, they will not notice you. I made a reservations months ago for my Fairbank trips two weeks out from now, and ALL fairbanks rentals are sold out on my dates. Turo are way to expensive, and the one I'm looking at still no response from the host. From what I can see now, I will need to cancel the whole trip most likely.
For my Independence day weekend, I booked in March with Avis, and when I want to extend 1 more day in April, the only option is to go up one class (the last class left) with double the price. I end up with adding a separate reservation from budget.
For shoulder season the rail option is very limited, yet it is another option during the regular summer season.

The "closure" is a weird Hertz issue when they are sold out. More here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33246067-post31.html

PDXPremier May 12, 2021 2:20 pm

Honestly, if I take a trip anywhere in Alaska during the summer, it's usually for no more than a few nights cause I can't quite stomach paying a zillion dollars a night for a Super 8 quality motel room that will be $50 outside of June/July/August.

maokh May 12, 2021 3:19 pm

It is like that all over the country. We just literally bought a car to keep at SEA when we go visit. Rental cars have been insane.

PDXPremier May 12, 2021 3:33 pm

I went ahead and booked all the rental cars I needed for the summer the other day and they were still available at every location. Keep in mind, if you rent cars often, you probably have a pre-negotiated rate with an association or your employer so if there are cars available, you'll likely not be paying some inflated $100/day rate. Alaska is the first place I ran into a total lack of availability. They're gonna take another hit due to the cruise ship issue so not being able to rent a car for a week to drive around Denali is pretty much the nail in the coffin as far as tourism goes.

Bradhattan May 12, 2021 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by maokh (Post 33246660)
It is like that all over the country. We just literally bought a car to keep at SEA when we go visit. Rental cars have been insane.

Sorry...also not AS....Agreed.....everywhere! GRR....cheapest rental is a cargo van....lol...I only need it while car getting a repair....so not a problem but....lol

TravelerMSY May 12, 2021 5:25 pm

$100+ a day? I can see why they’re calling it carmageddon.

clarrkkent May 12, 2021 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY (Post 33246946)
$100+ a day? I can see why they’re calling it carmageddon.

That can even be on the lower end. Returned from Hawaii where initial cheapest rental rates (using every code/discount I could get my hands on) was $900 for 8 days for the smallest class of vehicle. Booked it and kept checking back for repricing and found National with the AS discount code saved me $300 with the cheapest and that was for a Jeep. The week before departure I saved another $120 by changing to a convertible through Avis.

Normally I'd pay about $230-$280 for a week long compact or mid size rental in HI, so a $480 rental still hurts.

Going to Boston in June and for 3 days the lowest rate I can find is over $400!

For those that think rideshare may be better, just a word of caution. Drivers were gaming the system in SNA last month. Rates were pretty normal (around $25) to get from SNA to Anaheim area initially, but what we found was that drivers would accept the ride and then cancel it. Meanwhile, we'd get offers for $50-$80 rides. Drivers cancelled on us 3 times when it was a reasonable rate, only to be followed each time by an offer with a significant increase in fare. Rideshare drivers may very well put themselves out of business as I will just go with a Taxi or inflated car rental instead of getting gouged by drivers turning off their phones to create artificial scarcity and/or cancelling rides and sending ridiculous offers.

NoLaGent May 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Hawaii is even worse, but this has been well publicized for quite awhile now.

simonsuo May 13, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by clarrkkent (Post 33246999)
Drivers were gaming the system in SNA last month.

I live in inland empire, so one-way rental actually makes sense for me, when uber/lyft is 100+, while one-way rental is roughly the same price. All rental cars lot are in low stock, but they seem to be never out of stock though. With that being said, from your neighborhood locations to airport usually cost 200+.

ctporter May 13, 2021 12:12 pm

Montana is bad (cannot get a car in Kalispell at all for week of June 14) and I hear from a collogue that Vegas is fully booked AND to use an Uber or Lyft you need to reserve it 24hrs in advance of your arrival.

jrl767 May 13, 2021 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter (Post 33248830)
Montana is bad (cannot get a car in Kalispell at all for week of June 14) ...

National app shows availability in both Kalispell and Missoula for that week (of course it's defaulting to my corporate contract, which may have some availability overrides compared to general public searches)