Wiki Posts
Search

AK Rental Cars this Summer

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
I assume taxi or LYFT/UBER might still work to get you to the hotel? But at what price/availability after hours I don't know?

I had a schedule change that would have resulted in me arriving at FAI at 1:40 AM (DL not AK) and I had the same question. Also how likely was it that I would still have a room versus being regarded as a no-show? Fortunately I was able to rebook for a better arrival time.
Cabs work...
And you can call your hotel ahead of time and let them know when you are arriving...
rtpflyer likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I arrived in FAI after 1am on the AS flight from SEA a few weeks ago and stayed at the Hyatt Place (a great deal at only 8,000 points) which wasn't very close to the airport but they did provide 24/7 free airport shuttle service. When a driver is not available (which they weren't when I arrived), they will pay for a taxi and that was a relatively smooth process. We didn't have to wait too long for a taxi at that time of night which seemed unusually busy for being in the middle of the night (even the gift shop was open....lol). Since we couldn't get a rental car for the next day we ended up using Lyft which was available both times we needed it. I normally use Uber but there were no cars available so I downloaded the Lyft app and used that rideshare option for the first time.
Oh the Hyatt Place has shuttle?! that's awesome.

I redeemed points with them as well, great deal over 2 c/p value.
simonsuo likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Paging @AutoSlash...

There is a nationwide rental car shortage and it seems Alaska is not only hard-hit, but also dealing with a returned summer peak in demand.

I was hoping to book a trip a few months ago for around now or next month. Rental cars and hotels are the reason I did not go.

-J.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:33 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Paging @AutoSlash...

There is a nationwide rental car shortage and it seems Alaska is not only hard-hit, but also dealing with a returned summer peak in demand.

I was hoping to book a trip a few months ago for around now or next month. Rental cars and hotels are the reason I did not go.

-J.
Yep, rental cars are pretty much sold out for the entire summer by now in AK. Not much we, or anyone else for that matter, can do about it. It sucks for both travelers and AK businesses that rely on tourism dollars as well.
GW McLintock and PV_Premier like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
It's been interesting watching hotel and rental car prices jump day by day, if there's availability at all. I had to book my FAI trip a month out to reserve a rental car despite flights being available 6 hours before departure at very low rates; rental cars are now sold out for at least two months. As other posters have mentioned, corporate contracts can significantly reduce rental car prices if eligible and might increase ones priority in getting a rental car. I was also able to get a lower rate on the hotel by calling it directly, which doesn't seem to happen as often anymore.

If everything goes as planned, this will be one of the most inexpensive trips I've taken in terms of air/hotel/car and is a significant discount from typical summertime Alaska prices.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm not sure if it is due to my EE status with National or contract, search late June, mid July and early Aug, cars all available at ANC.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Noahf989
I'm not sure if it is due to my EE status with National or contract, search late June, mid July and early Aug, cars all available at ANC.
I went through both FAI and ANC earlier this month and before I departed for FAI there were no cars at ANC but by the time I got to FAI, there were cars at National available for booking so availability, especially at the last minute, does seem to fluctuate. The sad thing for Alaska's summer tourism season is that the word is out that there are no rental cars to be had and this is generally not a taxi or rideshare friendly place to visit....most want a car for longer distance travel through places like Denali so even cars become available a few days in-advance, tourists have already cancelled their plans and booked vacations elsewhere.
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
.. so availability, especially at the last minute, does seem to fluctuate. ...
There will be a lot of cancellations with changing plans and doublebooking. With panic reservations fearing alleged or real car shortage true demand is near impossible to predict...
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:15 pm

I have a trip to FAI booked for next week.

I have an AVIS reservation w/ Amex Plat code + Preferred Plus. But I’m still hesitating to book the full plan (e.g., helicopter tour) because I’m a bit afraid of stranding in FAI and not able to get to Denali w/o a car.

Also looking into alternative transportation including buses from FAI to Denali. One way $70.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by Mahogany
Also looking into alternative transportation including buses from FAI to Denali. One way $70.
Alaska Railroad might also be an option. They are only running 4 times a week instead of the normal daily this year but still a possibility.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Daze
Alaska Railroad might also be an option. They are only running 4 times a week instead of the normal daily this year but still a possibility.

only one minor problem, the earliest rail ticket is May 30, but I need to be at Denali by May 29…
Old May 21, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I saw in the Kauai Island paper that their rental car agencies are sold out through August. More cars are being brought from the mainland but that may take a month or two. I think it will be very expensive for all things travel over the summer as the supply is much less and demand may be higher than than pre-COVID.
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hertz at FAI has a new sign out telling customers go to Thriffy. Also, I had a awesome experience with a Turo host with an amazing Jeep. So blessed. And as someone posted, railroad doesn't operate during the shoulder season.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
All of our travel for the next 6 months is either a roadtrip or a location where we could use entirely public transportation if we had to. Even Uber/Lyft are no longer reliable in many places.

Guessing it'll take a full year to sort everything out, given that there are multiple causes to the shortage of rental cars and rideshares.

We had one spring rental in California a few weeks back. When I booked it, the only reasonable rate was for a pickup truck. But when I arrived at the lot, there were actually lots of cars available. The agent happily switched me to a sedan. So I'm guessing there's a lot of double-booking going on...
Old May 26, 2021, 3:53 pm

I had to cancel a trip to FAI for this upcoming weekend a few weeks back when I discovered I no longer had a car reservation with Hertz and I could not find another car anywhere else. And I stumbled on this on my own while checking on all my Hertz reservations in general; Hertz itself never gave me a clue about the situation there and I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't checked and ended up in FAI clueless.
I wonder how this is all going to play out. Reading that the airlines are pumping up flights to places like Alaska and Montana this summer, but wonder who is going to be able to book those flights in those car dependent places when they find out nothing is available now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.