Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Switched to "Boxed Water" - No More Plastic Bottles of Dasani

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Switched to "Boxed Water" - No More Plastic Bottles of Dasani

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
poured wine from the bottle comes back tomorrow in first class, bubbles are the exception.
Flying next week and very glad to hear this. The stuff in the cans is somewhat better than no wine, but I've missed the pre-Covid wines.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:25 pm

This might sound like a stupid question, but the box and material is gluten free right? Just worry when I hear plant based. Wife has celiac and it makes you worry about the stupidest sounding things...
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
This might sound like a stupid question, but the box and material is gluten free right? Just worry when I hear plant based. Wife has celiac and it makes you worry about the stupidest sounding things...
I’d think so, but I would just ask them to confirm: https://twitter.com/boxedwater or [email protected]
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Step in the right direction!

Now please bring back actual glass drinking vessels in First Class, instead of plastic cups!
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mixmastermark

Now please bring back actual glass drinking vessels in First Class, instead of plastic cups!
11/4
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I love how everyone thinks this is a prescriptive move by Alaska to reduce their carbon footprint.

AS purchasing team undoubtedly got the bulk contract price down well below the plastic bottles as the boxed waters are trying to get a foothold in the market and are buying share. This was an expense related move that marketing positioned as environmentally friendly 😂

Personally I hate drinking from them as my mind tells me I am drinking milk!
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
To quote a recent inductee to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, "'Cause my mind plays tricks on me."
DuckFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is it the leached chemicals you are missing?

I have grown quite fond of flavoring my water with those little TrueLime packets that AS is offering instead of real limes. Amazon sells them in bulk.
It's the flavor of the box or paper I think.

I grew up on well water. I guess I'm a bit of a water snob, as I don't like city tap water.

There is also this gem:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ovided-cx.html

Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by beckoa
It's the flavor of the box or paper I think.

I grew up on well water. I guess I'm a bit of a water snob, as I don't like city tap water.
They are using aluminum and plastic film as a barrier.

“Boxed Water's packaging consists of 92% plant-based content, the highest in the industry. 66% paper, 26% Plant-based plastic, 5% Aluminum (for flavor barrier), 3% plastic film (flavor and safety barrier).”

perhaps it is just the municipal water they are using that you don’t like.

”We use municipal water so that we can fill closer to the consumer. West of the Mississippi River, our water is sourced from water that flows through the Wasatch National Forest. Product that you receive east of the Mississippi River is sourced from Lake Michigan.”

https://boxedwaterisbetter.com/pages/faqs

(I have to say the water on the flight a couple of days ago tasted somewhat… flat)

(I am reminded of the plastic bottle of water I bought years ago in San Diego, which proudly listed the Miami Municipal Water Supply as its source. Awesome use of energy to truck tap water from one end of the country to the other.)
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
I love how everyone thinks this is a prescriptive move by Alaska to reduce their carbon footprint.

AS purchasing team undoubtedly got the bulk contract price down well below the plastic bottles as the boxed waters are trying to get a foothold in the market and are buying share. This was an expense related move that marketing positioned as environmentally friendly 😂

I do think they were probably able to negotiate prices down for Boxed to below what they were paying for Dasani, but everything they're saying/doing on climate can't just be about lower costs for them. They've set goals to reduce waste throughout their operations, and to be at net zero carbon by 2040 - even launching a separate investment arm to fund tech to help it get there.. Whether or not they'd be doing all this if they weren't Seattle-based, and felt the PR stuff like this generates with it's passenger base is another story.. I'm sure it's not just out of the goodness of their hearts, there's some level of marketing to it as well, but it's more than just cost cutting.

AS Flyer, notquiteaff and Klrduks like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:24 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My guess is the negotiated price for Boxed Water is close to the Dasani price, but I'd be surprised if it were par or less. Coca-Cola has so many economies of scale.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by mixmastermark

Sitting on AS119 SFO-SEA right now and can confirm that we get glass cups up front
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
I'm a stickler for drinking from glass (especially in F) due to my profession, and this makes me quite happy!

Thank you all for the updates.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Just got off AS81 SEA-ANC and can also share that -- we get warmed nuts! Not a lot though, the serving vessel is a small square bowl -- like 4 square inches in area multiplied by 1.5 inches of height
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Pretty sure this is worse for the environment than plastic. Boxes are heavier than plastic. Think of the energy cost required to truck the added weight to the plane, then the added fuel burn to lift said weight into the air. Not forgetting the energy then to transport spent bottle to the dump.

At least for paper bags, there was the sea creature angle. Sure, paper bags are worse environmentally unless factoring in plastic being thrown out to sea.

This - seems to be all downside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.