Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] MVP Qualifying Miles Promo Extension?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2021, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Now that some of the competition (United promo) is realizing that most elites won’t make their regular tier of status this year, will Alaska extend the 50% qualifying miles bonus or add some other promo to help MVPs in the same way? One idea might be to accelerate the bonus based on the cabin class purchased (something along the lines of coach gets 25% bonus PQM, premium gets 50%, and first gets 75% along with the normal bonus).

Last edited by sfjohn; May 5, 2021 at 2:13 am Reason: Added speculation
Old May 5, 2021, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I think AS has been super generous already in 2021.

My own 2c.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Someone needs to please change the title to "Speculation" because I'm waiting for an announcement like this and I got all excited for a short time. Yes, Alaska has been more than generous, but I would appreciate an extension through 2021 and then I promise not to ask for anything else...not even more chocolate chip cookies If we don't get an extension could we please have a sale or discount code or BOGO or something...it's been FOREVER.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Someone needs to please change the title to "Speculation" because I'm waiting for an announcement like this and I got all excited for a short time.
Same here For about 4 seconds I thought all my EQM dreams had come true!!
Old May 5, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I hope not. They’ve been far too generous already and bookings are getting close to pre-Covid levels. There’s no need to keep giving out the bonus, especially if an announcement that it will be possible to earn 100K status based on the flying this year is on the way.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I hope not. They’ve been far too generous already and bookings are getting close to pre-Covid levels. There’s no need to keep giving out the bonus, especially if an announcement that it will be possible to earn 100K status based on the flying this year is on the way.
This. It would be counterintuitive to do both.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS was the first airline to stop giving DEQM in the 2008-2011 Greater Recession, well before the likes of AA/UA/DL.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Selfishly I'd like to see an extension of the promo and even though business travel is (and will continue to be down), anyone who's been to an airport in the last two months knows people don't have to be incentivized to travel. Planes are full, fares are starting to climb again, and airlines are starting to add routes and frequencies. Combine all that with the upcoming peak summer travel period and I just don't see an extension of the promo coming.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:16 pm

I hope they do extend this to the end of the year. AS has it through 2021 for all who status matched to AS from other airlines that you registered by 4.15.21.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by goofy7777
I hope they do extend this to the end of the year. AS has it through 2021 for all who status matched to AS from other airlines that you registered by 4.15.21.
That’s not fair!
FloridaFlyers likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
+1. Flights were relatively full this week (only 3-4 seats showing available night before flights). Pricing for flights in July appear to be typical travel/vacation season pricing. Will slow down on business travel for summer and resume in fall after school starts and air traffic decreases and prices presumably also decrease.

There appears to be a market returning for travelers and the prices suggest decreasing need to entice travelers with promotional activities
Old May 6, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
To be fair, I don't think it should be the same. Seeming you cannot register for this promotion any longer, I would think that's a sign of something different to come.

My idea is for AS/AA to promote travel by rewarding people who travel to most unique destination cities (excluding transferring airport). Instead of rewarding people who "mileage runs" and visit the same city over and over, this promo would encourage people to visit more AS and AA cities, filling different flight routes etc.

AS could choose to rewarding with 25% bonus EQM and RDM who visit 1-5 cities. Then award 50% bonus EQM and RDM who visit 6-10 unique cities.....and so on.

Even if it still include some MVP qualifying miles element, promoting more flights instead of the "lowest fare market" should be the priority of AS.

Just my ideas..

Jiburi
Old May 7, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think AS has been super generous already in 2021.

My own 2c.
Agreed. I will be 75k by next month. I don't make it until December usually.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS was the first airline to stop giving DEQM in the 2008-2011 Greater Recession, well before the likes of AA/UA/DL.
DL and AS both ended them in June 2009 (DL's 2009 promo only applied to higher fare classes while the AS one was valid on all fare classes). DL did have a targeted one for awhile in 2010 for PIT/IND/RDU/STL flights (flew PIT-PEK and STL-LIM trips during that promo )
Old May 9, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I guess it all depends on how risk adverse their elites are so far. Business travel has still not recovered, and that is their bread and butter for elites. Sure, some have flown regardless of the pandemic, but that is not the majority.

Me personally? If EQM bonuses are further extended, my GF and I will probably qualify for the speculative 100k tier before the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.