Wiki Posts
Search

What Perks Do You Value Most?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
What Perks Do You Value Most?

I swear I'm not doing market research for AS... just curious what my fellow flyers value most with the AS MVP/Gold/75K, etc. program?

For me (most to least important):
  • Seat selection at booking - I'm tall so leg room is by far the thing I care most about. Being able to lockdown at least an exit row is very nice.
  • FC/PC upgrades
  • Points to be used for future flights
  • Free checked bags
  • Access to a human to check bags - I hate printing and self-tagging my bags just due to having to drop and move my bags as much as 3X (once at the kiosk, next to the "gate keeper" at the end the line velvet ropes, then finally at the desk)
  • Food/Beverage - this is kind of a moving target with Covid. I don't mind buying things but that not being an option lately has been a drag for sure.
  • Boarding priority
  • Everything else that I can't think of and/or don't use.
ijkh likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The #1 thing I value the most is the fact that I can earn elite status based on miles traveled, not the amount I paid for my ticket. Revenue-based programs are non-starters for me. As for the elite status itself, I guess I value the PC/F upgrades and free baggage the most (in that order since I can get the free bags with a credit card, but not the upgrades).
Old May 2, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Most valued unique benefit as a 75K is FC upgrade priority and ability to directly select PC. Next is EQM based upon miles flown and bonus mileage accumulated.

The cancellation policy was previously my main prioritized benefit as a means to permit flexible business travel plans. However now this is no longer a unique benefit.

Least valued is GGU.
VirtuousKangaroo likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
The cancellation policy was previously my main prioritized benefit as a means to permit flexible business travel plans. However now this is no longer a unique benefit.
true, but the process (funds go directly to Wallet balance which can be directly applied to new purchases) is better than, say, DL where they’re identified on a ticket-by-ticket basis, have to be individually selected when purchasing, and have quantity limitations (I may be mistaken but I think you can use no more than three e-credits or vouchers on any given purchase)

additionally, AS Wallet funds aren’t tied to the original purchaser (again, I may be mistaken, but I don’t think it’s possible to use a DL e-credit toward a ticket for someone else)
Eastbay1K and ACBLtd like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
true, but the process (funds go directly to Wallet balance which can be directly applied to new purchases) is better than, say, DL where they’re identified on a ticket-by-ticket basis, have to be individually selected when purchasing, and have quantity limitations (I may be mistaken but I think you can use no more than three e-credits or vouchers on any given purchase)

additionally, AS Wallet funds aren’t tied to the original purchaser (again, I may be mistaken, but I don’t think it’s possible to use a DL e-credit toward a ticket for someone else)
Other than the limo service on paid F (in addition to the "Secret Bar" offerings), even though I'm not one to cancel or change plans very often, canceled trips going into the wallet is a huge peace of mind benefit. The no fees on changes is also great, as I frequently have award travel changes (because my original desired itinerary isn't available when first searching).
Klrduks and PaperGlider like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Originally Posted by jrl767

In reading over the Gold/MVP benefits I was a bit unclear about the "complimentary same day changes". Does the fare difference apply or is it if they have space can I just switch flights without paying the difference? Or, is this just leftover from before the whole, "no change fees" thing came out a few months ago?
Old May 2, 2021, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
In reading over the Gold/MVP benefits I was a bit unclear about the "complimentary same day changes". Does the fare difference apply or is it if they have space can I just switch flights without paying the difference? Or, is this just leftover from before the whole, "no change fees" thing came out a few months ago?
No fare difference for SDC - there just has to be space to change to. You also have to keep the same routing, including intermediate cities, but there are plenty of reports of people getting that waived on the phone. The biggest limit is that it has to be within the same calendar day, rather than with 24 hours of the original departure, with an exception for flights between midnight at 4 am where you can switch to as early as 10pm on the previous day.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Other than the limo service on paid F (in addition to the "Secret Bar" offerings)
Getting that limo from the First Class Terminal out to your flight to the tarmac in SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX/SAN/SJC/OAK is such a treat, isn’t it? Right up there with the shower and nap rooms and restaurant with food made to order.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
No fare difference for SDC - there just has to be space to change to. You also have to keep the same routing, including intermediate cities, but there are plenty of reports of people getting that waived on the phone. The biggest limit is that it has to be within the same calendar day, rather than with 24 hours of the original departure, with an exception for flights between midnight at 4 am where you can switch to as early as 10pm on the previous day.
MVPG & MVPG75K may also "standby" for full flights if a SDC can not be confirmed.

Standby

You are an MVP® Gold Mileage Plan member (or traveling in the same reservation as one) and are eligible for a same day confirmed flight change, but space is not available on the desired flight to make a confirmed change.

James
Old May 3, 2021, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
MVPG & MVPG75K may also "standby" for full flights if a SDC can not be confirmed.

Standby

You are an MVP® Gold Mileage Plan member (or traveling in the same reservation as one) and are eligible for a same day confirmed flight change, but space is not available on the desired flight to make a confirmed change.

James
So, what happens if I pass on my 1PM flight and go stand-by for a 6PM flight and don't get a seat and there are no more flights that day? Does money go back in my wallet?
Old May 3, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SDC benefit is nice on paper, but I almost never use it...especially if I'm upgraded or have a great seat on the flight I'm currently booked on and having more time at the airport just means more time in the lounge which I pre-paid for so I might as well have another pancake, right?
Old May 3, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
So, what happens if I pass on my 1PM flight and go stand-by for a 6PM flight and don't get a seat and there are no more flights that day? Does money go back in my wallet?
I believe they would look to confirm you on the next available flight, or add you to the stand-by list if it's sold out. If you'd rather, I'm sure crediting to wallet would also be an option.
Old May 3, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
That is a good question & one I don't have an immediate answer for. I have done many same day changes but have only done standby once for an earlier full flight that was already boarding; I was at the airport already anyway. As a 75K, I was slotted in at the top of the "awaiting seats" list and cleared in about 10 minutes. Not getting a confirmed same day change doesn't happen often.

James

Update: If you do a standby for a later flight and AS is unable to accommodate you on that flight you have two options, AS will rebook you for the next day; a fare difference would apply or you can cancel and return the funds to your wallet.

James
mtofell likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is a good question & one I don't have an immediate answer for. I have done many same day changes but have only done standby once for an earlier full flight that was already boarding; I was at the airport already anyway. As a 75K, I was slotted in at the top of the "awaiting seats" list and cleared in about 10 minutes. Not getting a confirmed same day change doesn't happen often.

James

Update: If you do a standby for a later flight and AS is unable to accommodate you on that flight you have two options, AS will rebook you for the next day; a fare difference would apply or you can cancel and return the funds to your wallet.

James
Hey James--I know SDC needs to "officially" follow the original routing, but many have had success making routing changes by talking to an actual agent. My questions to you are:
1. Is it better to ask via chat/text or call?
2. Do you ever change to a connection to get more EQMs or a better position on the upgrade list?

If I'm flying PDX-LAX or vice versa, I've wondered how willing they would be to do something like PDX-SEA-LAX. I would guess you would need to have your specific flights picked out and ask specifically for them.
Old May 3, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Hey James--I know SDC needs to "officially" follow the original routing, but many have had success making routing changes by talking to an actual agent. My questions to you are:
1. Is it better to ask via chat/text or call?
2. Do you ever change to a connection to get more EQMs or a better position on the upgrade list?

If I'm flying PDX-LAX or vice versa, I've wondered how willing they would be to do something like PDX-SEA-LAX. I would guess you would need to have your specific flights picked out and ask specifically for them.
I'm not James, but have a couple of data points:

1- I've always called ... luckily, hold time as a 75k hasn't been excessive (most instances were on LAX-SEA trips when I was able to leave work earlier than expected; generally called from the Avis lot or bus on the way to the terminal)
2A- I have turned LAX-SEA into LAX-PDX-SEA at least once
2B- I was able to change SEA-PDX-BWI into SEA-PDX-DCA at the gate in Portland (Jun 2018)
2C- you can't tell where you'll be on the upgrade list on a different flight until you check in (however, a phone agent may be able to tell you how many are currently on the list)
ACBLtd and simonsuo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.