Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] New AA Codeshares Coming?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
[Speculation] New AA Codeshares Coming?

I was surprised to see two late August/early September itineraries get massively rescheduled this week, both involving major transcon routes (SFO - NYC and LAX - NYC), with the AS service on those routes getting reduced to virtually nothing. Service from LAX to JFK is down to a single daily flight (departing at 7:05 am) and LAX to EWR has been reduced even more, now just 5 days a week (at 7:00 am). Similarly, SFO - JFK is reduced to a single daily flight (departing at 9:00 am) and SFO - EWR is now just 5 days a week (departing at 6:30 am).

I initially assumed that the flight change alerts on the app were erroneous (surely no-one would change a 3pm departure to a 7am departure without triggering a courtesy call or an email, I mistakenly thought), but now I wonder whether such a hollowing out of AS's schedule is in anticipation of offering AA's more frequent transcon flight services as codeshares. Is this just wishful thinking?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is unlikely. AA/B6 are codeshare partners and can coordinate schedules on flights out of the North East. AA is all in with B6 on those routes leaving little room for AS. AA already said B6 is currently its biggest codeshare partner and they have lots of flights they need to add at LGA/JFK to avoid losing slots.

Just flew B6 last night from SFO-JFK and returning tomorrow from BOS—both in mint. Flights totally sold out—mint sold out two weeks in advance. If AS can’t make these work during the summer when demand is high and capacity is still not up to pre-Covid levels, they will have a very rough time during the winter when capacity is higher on competitors and overall demand is lower during the off season.

Really interested to see what AS does later in the year when the slot waivers go away at JFK.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I was surprised to see two late August/early September itineraries get massively rescheduled this week, both involving major transcon routes (SFO - NYC and LAX - NYC), with the AS service on those routes getting reduced to virtually nothing. Service from LAX to JFK is down to a single daily flight (departing at 7:05 am) and LAX to EWR has been reduced even more, now just 5 days a week (at 7:00 am). Similarly, SFO - JFK is reduced to a single daily flight (departing at 9:00 am) and SFO - EWR is now just 5 days a week (departing at 6:30 am).

I initially assumed that the flight change alerts on the app were erroneous (surely no-one would change a 3pm departure to a 7am departure without triggering a courtesy call or an email, I mistakenly thought), but now I wonder whether such a hollowing out of AS's schedule is in anticipation of offering AA's more frequent transcon flight services as codeshares. Is this just wishful thinking?
the big schedule shifts have occurred all over.

time change on AS to to JFK would be able to do AA connections from there for domestic and for international routes to Europe.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I think this is more of AS failing to make these transcons work. AA doesn't even fly from EWR to the west coast. Good thing they spent a few billions to acquire VX. Who knows what their SFO/LAX transcons would be looking like now if they hadn't.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
have you even followed or read any of the merger justification that went through their board, the FTC, and so much more?

Forget the pandemic, none of these actions are even a step away from the plans they publicly shared together.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think this is more of AS failing to make these transcons work. AA doesn't even fly from EWR to the west coast. Good thing they spent a few billions to acquire VX. Who knows what their SFO/LAX transcons would be looking like now if they hadn't.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth

they haven't operated these routes at more than 1x all year. Why are you surprised they continue that trend into early September? They will keep cutting these flights as long as JFK slot waiver is in place.

AA can coordinate schedule with B6 on these flights. Why would it do codeshare with AS, when it now has 15 flights a day on JFK-LAX with those B6 codeshares? If you want to accumulate miles with AS, just book the AA flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.