Wiki Posts
Search

New UNCF Livery

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
New UNCF Livery

Saw this yesterday on Twitter but didn't find much else about it. Today it looks like they have some info on their LIFT partnerships page about UNCF and the new livery, here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...odID:Awareness

Haven't seen Alaska on the tail like that instead of Chester before (or can't recall anything recently at least), but design overall is kind of cool? As is the partnership and AS' commitment here.
IggySD, SOCguy and AS Flyer like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:27 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

UNCF was the United Negro College Fund until 2008.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by dayone
UNCF was the United Negro College Fund until 2008.
And legally, it still is. This change was just about branding.

https://diverseeducation.com/article/10514/

That being said, I love it. Gorgeous livery for AS!

Edit- ps: the AS blog post has lots of interesting details about it as well:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/values/al...ment-aircraft/
AS Flyer likes this.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Apr 26, 2021 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I think it looks great and love the partnership.....but i just think the tail could have just been chester with the black/grey/white shadowing (kinda similar to the more to love paint cs) to make it more unified with the faces theme on the fuselage. The "alaska" looks weird on the tail like that.....

Correct me if im wrong - but chester was based on the indigenous people of Alaska - with him being on the tail - i would think it be quite a unifying message overall....
be_rettSEA and RAD_PDX like this.

Last edited by isaacchambers; Apr 26, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Honestly, just not a fan. I get AS jumping on the inclusive bandwagon, but I feel like the plane is mixed messages. Promotes the inclusive, but then only contributes to HBCUs. Removes Chester from the tail and cancels out the Alaskan natives. Might as well just call it the BLM plane instead. What about every other minority out there? And that plane is going to seriously get warm sitting in the sun.
jiburi, LWkitty, Repooc17 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by rune87
Honestly, just not a fan. I get AS jumping on the inclusive bandwagon, but I feel like the plane is mixed messages. Promotes the inclusive, but then only contributes to HBCUs. Removes Chester from the tail and cancels out the Alaskan natives. Might as well just call it the BLM plane instead. What about every other minority out there? And that plane is going to seriously get warm sitting in the sun.
Alaska has a great history of supporting their communities, including the indigenous communities in Alaska. Everywhere an Alaska plane goes people are able to see the likeness of an indigenous person on the tail of the plane. There’s nothing wrong with celebrating a long standing partnership with UNCF - just as they have celebrated many other partnerships with an exclusive logo plane. I’m extremely proud of this beautiful livery and the message behind it.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I like it!

Alaska sure has come a long way from prayer cards on the F meal trays.
jinglish, AS Flyer and Eastbay1K like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I like it! This is a step in the right direction.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I like it!

Alaska sure has come a long way from prayer cards on the F meal trays.
Those prayer cards were on Y meal trays also, and in the lunch sandwich/salad baskets. They were everywhere.
Eastbay1K and channa like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I think it looks great and love the partnership.....but i just think the tail could have just been chester with the black/grey/white shadowing (kinda similar to the more to love paint cs) to make it more unified with the faces theme on the fuselage. The "alaska" looks weird on the tail like that.....

Correct me if im wrong - but chester was based on the indigenous people of Alaska - with him being on the tail - i would think it be quite a unifying message overall....
Chester is on the wingtips.
isaacchambers and Sky Dreamer like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seacrzn
Chester is on the wingtips.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by rune87
I honestly don’t know how pure their motives are here. Every move AS makes, going back through my 36 years spent working for them, is calculated with a marketing spin. Their external appearance is very different than their internal actions. They preach equality. But have a history with their employees of being extremely anti union. As a former shop steward, I’ve witnessed first hand their efforts to personally destroy employees through the arbitration process for honest errors. I’ll add, that as a retiree I still can access the AS employee website. Recently, AS has shut down the ability of active employees from all walks of life to enjoy an open forum, by turning off the employee comments on the company news articles that get posted on that site. Comments on that internal web site had been activated for over 20 years, and were used often by all employees to ask questions. Employees have since been directed to their immediate supervisor with any inquiries, no doubt as they’ve been given the AS talking points. As a partner in a black owned business, unfortunately I believe this AC might be more marketing than the boardroom reality that AS wants us to believe. Time will tell.

Last edited by Tack; Apr 27, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Is it black with white/grey tones? the photo looks blue.....still think that should be on the tail......with the alaska on the winglet

Now i wish this was on all winglets.....
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Tack
I honestly don’t know how pure their motives are here. Every move AS makes, going back through my 36 years spent working for them, is calculated with a marketing spin. Their external appearance is very different than their internal actions. They preach equality. But have a history with their employees of being extremely anti union. As a former shop steward, I’ve witnessed first hand their efforts to personally destroy employees through the arbitration process for honest errors. I’ll add, that as a retiree I still can access the AS employee website. Recently, AS has shut down the ability of active employees from all walks of life to enjoy an open forum, by turning off the employee comments on the company news articles that get posted on that site. Comments on that internal web site had been activated for over 20 years, and were used often by all employees to ask questions. Employees have since been directed to their immediate supervisor with any inquiries, no doubt as they’ve been given the AS talking points. As a partner in a black owned business, unfortunately I believe this AC might be more marketing than the boardroom reality that AS wants us to believe. Time will tell.
Most corporations are ultimately working for their bottom line and shareholders. Doing some good along the way is a nice story to tell, but it's typically to increase sales, not just doing good to do good. If they didn't feel this would give them some material benefit in PR that would drive more revenue (even in longer term), they wouldn't have done it. Not sure I can think of any for-profit company that is much different here. That said, regardless of motives, I'm happy to see them investing here. so the marketing is working on me (and enough others to make it worth the spend for them, I presume).
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
I really love the plane- I like planes in black even if they might be a little more warm.

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Most corporations are ultimately working for their bottom line and shareholders. Doing some good along the way is a nice story to tell, but it's typically to increase sales, not just doing good to do good. If they didn't feel this would give them some material benefit in PR that would drive more revenue (even in longer term), they wouldn't have done it. Not sure I can think of any for-profit company that is much different here. That said, regardless of motives, I'm happy to see them investing here. so the marketing is working on me (and enough others to make it worth the spend for them, I presume).
Totally agree with you- Alaska is acting like almost every other company that markets one thing but the way they operate and treat their employees is another. We have to continue to call out these companies if they have a toxic and unsupportive environment and let them know they don't get a pass because of their amazing marketing team. I do applaud Alaska for this and think it is a step in the right direction.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.