Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Tampa - SFO nonstop suspended for the summer?

Old Apr 21, 21, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

I am looking for flights SFO-TPA nonstop this summer and it appears the schedule is zeroed out May 16-Nov 17? I've searched for articles on this and no one is covering... I guess we have no idea if it's returning Nov 18th as reflected in schedules. When do they usually load the winter schedules?
Old Apr 21, 21, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by goldengate View Post
I am looking for flights SFO-TPA nonstop this summer and it appears the schedule is zeroed out May 16-Nov 17? I've searched for articles on this and no one is covering... I guess we have no idea if it's returning Nov 18th as reflected in schedules. When do they usually load the winter schedules?
I would keep searching. The schedule changes will come out monthly, if not more often. It may depend on the status of cruises and how many are projected to travel to Florida. For now, I would check once a week on Sundays because major schedule changes are loaded on Saturday nights. Also, it wouldn't hurt to drop a note to AS customer relations to request the route be resumed.
Old Apr 21, 21, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA PLT, AS MVP Gold 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
They also dropped the MCO flights - ALL florida flights have been packed. I am shocked they got rid of flights to Florida since they are the only open state and Californians are going there in droves. Regardless of any cruise traffic.....there is a TON of demand for anything open over California.
Old Apr 21, 21, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I was also surprised they dropped Oakland - Hawaii routes given that everyone I know is either in Hawaii or headed there!
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
With a large number of mainline Airbus planes grounded prematurely, they simply don't have enough mainline planes to even fly all the routes they flew before--never mind new ones. They are going to be concentrating on maintaining their strong position in SEA for now.

If you can't get there on a Horizon/SkyWest plane from California and are not going to airports in the West where AS is already strong, I wouldn't expect AS to offer much mainline service. Maybe in a couple years once they get more Max planes and rebuild their fleet they will potentially get back to pre-COVID levels on longer flights out of California. They have already dropped several frequencies out of SFO to BOS/JFK/EWR/IAD, dropped PHL, CUN, IND, BNA, RDU, MCO is seasonal if it comes back from SFO, FLL only periodically operates down from 2 times per day with VX, ORD is just barely holding on. There is very little mainline capacity going East at this point from SFO. They now have the AA partnership to handle East bound traffic in the meantime.
goldengate and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
With a large number of mainline Airbus planes grounded prematurely, they simply don't have enough mainline planes to even fly all the routes they flew before--never mind new ones. They are going to be concentrating on maintaining their strong position in SEA for now.
Were the Airbus planes grounded due to pandemic or a mechanical issue? This is new (and interesting) news to me which explains a bit of what's going on.
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I was also surprised they dropped Oakland - Hawaii routes given that everyone I know is either in Hawaii or headed there!
This was expected the minute Southwest started serving Hawaii. East Bay types flock to Southwest .com and pay whatever they ask, thinking they're getting a good deal, even if it's more expensive than the competition.

Now that Southwest has removed the competition, prices will rise over time. It's The Southwest Effect 2.0.
TravelingChef and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Were the Airbus planes grounded due to pandemic or a mechanical issue? This is new (and interesting) news to me which explains a bit of what's going on.
They’re grounded because of pandemic and AS using this (plus cheap Boeing prices for MAX planes) to transition the fleet back to an all Boeing mainline fleet faster. The only Airbus model they really liked from the ones they got from the VX merger was the A321neo. The thing is that while the economics of that plane are superb, getting cheap 737MAX9’s make those pretty good too, and AS doesn’t have to fight through crowds to get deliveries, thanks to a bunch of MAX cancellations.

Fun fact though, there’s a lot of retrenching going on. WN dropped DAL-SEA. DL dropped DFW-SEA and dialed back expansion in AUS and SJC.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
Florida Market dependent on Cruises

With CDC renewing the cruising industry public health emergency for another 90 days, cruise industry cannot operate in the US until earliest of November 21, 2021. CDC may rescind the order early, but was just renewed 4/21. Next advisory will likely occur in July.

Cruise industry help guarantees many passenger booking and plays a important role in success of many of AS Florida flight. In their absence, AS likely has better use of the aircrafts to other destinations with greater demands.

Jiburi
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 2:19 pm

It does seem like everyone is planning a trip there this summer, and Southwest fares reflect that. It's hard to believe AS would voluntarily give up the chance to compete on routes during the peakiest of peak Hawaii travel seasons ever, while WN is charging $400-500 fares for many flights.
goldengate likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
while WN is charging $400-500 fares for many flights.
But the free checked bags and love!
Old Apr 21, 21, 3:29 pm

SFO schedule is pretty sparse this summer
SFO BOS only operates a few days a week
DCA seems gone and no IAD or BWI
SLC one a day
EWR/JFK some days no nonstops
goldengate likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

SFO BNA also gone.
Old Apr 21, 21, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA PLT, AS MVP Gold 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
SFO BNA also gone.

BNA was iffy even before the pandemic. I remember many cheap flights on VX.
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:13 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + UA Plat + AS MVP + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For what it is worth a bunch of my forward looking Alaska flights have had huge schedule changes out of SFO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: