Wiki Posts
Search

Not Showing on Upgrade Waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by windowflyer89
This happened to me as well a couple weekends ago. Even as a Gold, I did not automatically clear at 72 hours despite plenty of F and PC seats being available. Had to self-upgrade myself to a PC seat. Then at check-in, I was still First Class waitlisted, but my name did not show up on the upgrade list. AS Reservations checked and confirmed I was on the upgrade list even if my name didn't show up.

Then at the airport the next day, my name still did not show up, and the gate agent checked and said I wasn't on it and had to manually add me to the list. By then, F had checked in full. But on my return trip a few days later, the T-72 hour upgrade worked fine like normal.
In order to automatically clear st your elite window there must be U space available which doesn't always correlate to the number of F or PC seats available. I haven't been auto upgraded to PC in a long time but I think it's because I'm either in the exit row or I upgrade myself faster than the processor works.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think the upgrade processor may be broken (so what else is new ).

I recently booked SAN-SEA that was surprisingly still J7U7 within the T-5 day 75K comp upgrade window. I didn't even select a Y seat because I knew the upgrade would go through... or so I thought. I received an email about an hour later that I was upgraded to premium and was assigned 6C. I waited, but the system didn't subsequently upgrade me to J also, despite the request showing on the reservation on the website.

The processor being broken (or at least severely delayed) is bad enough, but the "75K agent" who answered the phone seemed like she had no clue what was going on. She forgot to ask, "May I have your name please?" like the agents always ask, and then when I was in the middle of beginning to talk to her, she awkwardly remembered, interrupted, and asked me for my name. When I asked if she could look into the upgrade issue, she told me that, even when U is available, those seats are reserved for gate upgrades. She told me I'd have to wait for the gate agent to clear me (still days out from the flight at this point) or else use a "redemptive upgrade" (a term I've never heard an AS agent use before, but presumably referring to a GGU). I asked her to speak with her lead to confirm, and she came back not once, but twice, with the same spiel.

Eventually, she allowed me to speak to a friendly supervisor in Boise who told me it was just the processor being slow. He told me he couldn't do anything to speed it up but just to wait "an hour or so and it'll probably go through." He said he couldn't "force it."

I hung up, checked my email, and the upgrade email was there (he clearly pushed it through). Strange all around.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by 985X
My name shows up on every flight I take after OLCI. But yesterday I was #2 after OLCI, then the list was extended to 7 pax, I was still #2. Then I got UG, while pax #1 didn't. Then the list was extended to 11 pax as the time gets closer to boarding (my name was gone since I already got the UG). Felt bad for the #1 pax on the list lol..
It's not always possible to know the circumstance pertaining to passenger #1, but it could be flat denial (personal preference, or when traveling with other passengers in Y), or when accompanying a child, etc.

Seriously though, AS should re-vamp their upgrade list, similar to UA, with different list for each cabin type. Some people don't want to be upgraded to First and/or Premium Class.

Jiburi
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by windowflyer89
AS Reservations checked and confirmed I was on the upgrade list even if my name didn't show up.
That's so messed up, I'll definitely HUCA until my name shows up in the app after my check in.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
In order to automatically clear st your elite window there must be U space available which doesn't always correlate to the number of F or PC seats available. I haven't been auto upgraded to PC in a long time but I think it's because I'm either in the exit row or I upgrade myself faster than the processor works.
Same here for all of my flights (15 or so) this year so far.

Originally Posted by metallo
I think the upgrade processor may be broken (so what else is new ).
Strange all around.
That sounds like an agent in training. I would HUCA right after I noticed something is off. Don't call me mean, it's just easier that way sometimes. And there is virtually no wait in their priority phone line.

Originally Posted by jiburi
AS should re-vamp their upgrade list, similar to UA, with different list for each cabin type.
Totally, I also think whomever got upgraded should show up on the list. But I guess that's why they call it waitlist (still waiting for upgrades), not upgrade list (all passengers eligible for upgrades, either cleared or waiting). But this is just more informative, not necessarily a functional thing. I bet their IT has a huge backlog of issues need to be taken care first.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by simonsuo
That's so messed up, I'll definitely HUCA until my name shows up in the app after my check in.

Same here for all of my flights (15 or so) this year so far.

That sounds like an agent in training. I would HUCA right after I noticed something is off. Don't call me mean, it's just easier that way sometimes. And there is virtually no wait in their priority phone line.

Totally, I also think whomever got upgraded should show up on the list. But I guess that's why they call it waitlist (still waiting for upgrades), not upgrade list (all passengers eligible for upgrades, either cleared or waiting). But this is just more informative, not necessarily a functional thing. I bet their IT has a huge backlog of issues need to be taken care first.
The integrity of the upgrade list has been an embarrassment at AS for many years... they should really move it up their list of IT priorities.

I’m afraid there could actually be even more issues now, with AA elites becoming eligible for upgrades, so I’m not optimistic anything will improve in the short run.
simonsuo and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by metallo
The integrity of the upgrade list has been an embarrassment at AS for many years... they should really move it up their list of IT priorities.
I'd be content if they'd just stop losing my TSA Precheck # but I suppose getting the waitlist working right would nice as well. I'm a small business owner so I know there is lots here I don't know but things like this in my company are just totally unacceptable. If I were losing client's important appointment information or incorrectly sending services/goods to people out of order I'd be out of business shortly. I really don't even mean to complain as much as just point out how funny it is that big companies that throw millions (tens? hundreds?) of dollars at things still can't get it right.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Been busy in FLL the last couple of days and enroute back to SEA currently.

Shocked at the attention this thread has received. Appreciate the feedback.

Also glad to report, I was added successfully to the upgrade queue. My friend and I cleared FLL-SEA yesterday, and SEA-FAI earlier today.

Concerned about other reservations... will need to call later on.
Bellerina and Sea Trips like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
for me, showing up on the waitlist or not doesn't quite matter on SEA-FLL routes. With my gold status, I can't even get a PC seat sometimes. But I'm watching all my future travel like a hawk now.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by simonsuo
for me, showing up on the waitlist or not doesn't quite matter on SEA-FLL routes. With my gold status, I can't even get a PC seat sometimes. But I'm watching all my future travel like a hawk now.
Once PC seat blocking ends you’ll have a greater chance of obtaining a PC seat. 🤙🏻
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

A few off-topic posts (beverages) have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator
SEA777GUY and Bellerina like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
Once PC seat blocking ends you’ll have a greater chance of obtaining a PC seat. 🤙🏻
I'm thinking the same thing....it's never been this tough to get a PC upgrade at T-72.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:14 am

Happened to both me and P2 today - both of us are MVP on the same reservation (alaska metal SEA-SAT alaska award booking).
Don't see either of us on upgrade list even though we have tried checking in 3 times (contacted them to un-check us in so we can re-check in).

Not sure if its worth getting to gate earlier to put us on the list as mere mvps, but its mildly annoying.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Happened to both me and P2 today - both of us are MVP on the same reservation (alaska metal SEA-SAT alaska award booking).
Don't see either of us on upgrade list even though we have tried checking in 3 times (contacted them to un-check us in so we can re-check in).

Not sure if its worth getting to gate earlier to put us on the list as mere mvps, but its mildly annoying.
The upgrade processor has a real challenge, at the best of times, with 2 MVPs on the same PNR Technically, neither can be upgraded. An MVP on an award on an inelgible fare will always be the very last to be upgraded. If on an eligible fare, higher Elites will trump you, even on ineligible fares, once the Elite windows open, which I think is unfair. All eligible fares should be cleared ahead of ineligible fares in the order they were placed on the waitlist, regardless of Elite Status. Ineligible fares are added to the waitlist at the respective windows from the waitlist upgrade queue. The waitlist request queue is a misnomer since the Elite request lists are not a FIFO (first-in-first-out) process. They are "plucked" out of the request queues, first by fare class and then by date/time if there is tie.

Fare class Y is now used for both refundable revenue & refundable award tickets. Formerly, refundable Main cabin awards booked into Z.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 22, 2021 at 7:13 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Yesterday I checked in for my flight today using a computer instead of the usual mobile app. Immediately showed up on the upgrade list and cleared into FC later - this, unlike my experience last week when I didn't show up on the lists.

Take that for what it's worth. Perhaps an integration problem with their mobile app? Really need more data to really come to that conclusion.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The upgrade processor has a real challenge, at the best of times, with 2 MVPs on the same PNR Technically, neither can be upgraded. An MVP on an award on an inelgible fare will always be the very last to be upgraded.
I thought all award bookings were eligible for upgrade (no concept of basic economy type fares on award bookings), specially since i was able to select exit-row seating on my award fare. Is there some new rule about ineligble award fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.