Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Row Do You Prefer When Flying First/Business on Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

What row do you guys book when flying paid first or business on Alaska (and does it vary from other airlines? ? I always try to book the front row when in economy or the premium version of economy for the extra legroom, but that shouldn’t be an issue in first or business. Is the second row theoretically better because you don’t have to put away your carryon above your head and potentially stare at the FAs the entire time? Or what do you prefer? Does it vary by plane model and or airline?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:36 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Bulkhead or other seat in First Class on reconfigured 737-900? - FlyerTalk Forums

The age-old debate between row 2 and row 1. My memory is that row 2 was more popular. And I prefer row 2. Consensus is to avoid row 4, if possible, because of risk of plane swap.

Note: This thread is a candidate for a merge.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Row 1 - bulkhead issue if you are tall
Row 2 - is my preferred row so I do not have to contend with the bulkhead.
Row 3 - ok in a 4 row business class
Row 4 - not so good as you may have knees hitting your seat, people pulling on seat from economy etc or you may be downgraded if route changes to a 3 row config
Xrayman likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by davistev
Row 1 - bulkhead issue if you are tall
Row 2 - is my preferred row so I do not have to contend with the bulkhead.
Row 3 - ok in a 4 row business class
Row 4 - not so good as you may have knees hitting your seat, people pulling on seat from economy etc or you may be downgraded if route changes to a 3 row config
If you got downgraded on a paid ticket what comes your way?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Bulkhead or other seat in First Class on reconfigured 737-900? - FlyerTalk Forums

The age-old debate between row 2 and row 1. My memory is that row 2 was more popular. And I prefer row 2. Consensus is to avoid row 4, if possible, because of risk of plane swap.

Note: This thread is a candidate for a merge.
Oh wow thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
There are aircraft specific seating threads if you do a search, but it pretty much comes down to whether you like bulkhead or row 2, as dayone pointed out. I'm a bulkhead person, because I like not having anyone reclining into me.
kileysmom likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
There are aircraft specific seating threads if you do a search, but it pretty much comes down to whether you like bulkhead or row 2, as dayone pointed out. I'm a bulkhead person, because I like not having anyone reclining into me.
Row 1 also has much easier window seat access with AS F pitch. If I must be stuck in a window seat (almost never), I hope it is Row 1.

For me, overall, the rows go 2, 1, 3, 4. Always an aisle.
SanDiego1K and navydevildoc like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For me, overall, the rows go 2, 1, 3, 4. Always an aisle.
+1
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Row 1 also has much easier window seat access with AS F pitch. ... For me, overall, the rows go 2, 1, 3, 4.
ditto, except I'm a window guy (and luckily, Mrs767 favors the aisle )
NoLaGent and willoL like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Row 2, window. Which side depends on a few factors. I typically like to be on the side opposite the sun so I can have the window shade open without being blinded. The exception is on the PNW-California routes, where I generally like 2A when flying south and 2F when headed north (although there is some variability in route). The view of the cascade volcanoes never gets old to me.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Row 2, window. Which side depends on a few factors. I typically like to be on the side opposite the sun so I can have the window shade open without being blinded. The exception is on the PNW-California routes, where I generally like 2A when flying south and 2F when headed north (although there is some variability in route). The view of the cascade volcanoes never gets old to me.
2A, 2F, 3A, 3F, 4A, 4F, 2C, 2D, 3C 3D, 4C, 4D, 1C, 1D, 1A, 1F would be my preference. I prefer window to isle in Rows 2, 3 & 4 & isle to window in Row 1 if I get stuck there. I don't like bulkhead rows because I can't fully stretch out my legs (1C & 1D allow a sideways stretch past the bulkhead, 1C moreso than 1D so the slight edge to the isle) I also don't like bulkhead rows as they feel a little clastrophobic. For me, it is akin to being stuck behind a large truck or RV on a two lane highway and not being able to see the (QX) Horizon. I will always choose Row 4 over Row 1, the possibility of losing Row 4 on an equipment swap is real, but I have yet to have that happen on any of my flights. I have been upgraded last minute though on swaps from 12 to 16 F.

Of course, on an upgrade, the seat I get is the perfect one, every time!

Route and direction are contributing factors; sunrise vs sunset, daytime vs nighttime, nighttime over land vs over water. The Cascade range is incredibly beautiful but there is also something to be said for some spectacular sunsets and the views while sitting in F, F seats southbound from SEA/PDX.

James
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I got into the habit of taking the F seats about six years ago when we moved back home to Seattle from the DC area ... it was always good to be able to see the house from the Runway 16 approaches over the city

this was one of the first times; this was actually from the return leg of the PAE-LAS inaugural but a good view nonetheless

I also try to get an F seat on flights departing DCA (and an A seat on inbounds) for the eastward view of the city
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
My preference is row 2

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
What row do you guys book when flying paid first or business on Alaska (and does it vary from other airlines? ? I always try to book the front row when in economy or the premium version of economy for the extra legroom, but that shouldn’t be an issue in first or business. Is the second row theoretically better because you don’t have to put away your carryon above your head and potentially stare at the FAs the entire time? Or what do you prefer? Does it vary by plane model and or airline?

My preference is row 2 and specifically, 2C. From there, 2D, 3C, 3D, 4C, 4D, 1C, 1D. I typically avoid the bulkhead seats in row 1 so that I can have under seat storage.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Always window, and F over A, but only because I think my left side profile is better than my right, and I want to look my best for the FAs.

;-)

ps: we all have way too much free time on our hands.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Always an aisle for me. 2, 3, 1, 4 unless I only have a backpack or a tote with me. Then it would be 2, 1, 3, 4. I love to be the absolute last person to board so while row 2 is always my favorite, as long as I don’t need overhead space, I like row 1 as there is always space for my small item. But aisle only, no matter what row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.