Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Pricing and Tiers Announced for Alaska Lounge Memberships

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Pricing and Tiers Announced for Alaska Lounge Memberships

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As someone who flies out of SFO, wish they would consider us a real hub. Maybe in Summer 2021? (Or was it...)
It will always be just a few months away. It's like a special version of hell for frequent flyers.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tack
it sucks, but in an internal AS/employee notice, they stated that the amount of fliers that were buying AL memberships to have access to AC lounges was causing an issue. AS is charged by AA on a per entry basis of AL members using AC. Just get the AA Citi Exec card you’ll be fine.
This is the key.

AS is now part of not only a partnership with AA, but an alliance with OW.

Everytime one of its members uses another carrier's lounge, AS pays a fee (and likewise it receives a fee when other carriers' passengers use the AL). When the balance is relatively even, this is not an issue. But, if the balance shifts, the AL membership can drop from a nice draw to a cash suck.

Over a period of months, you can expect fees and value to harmonize.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by williwaw
My colleagues are cheap - they like the lounges and rarely get to visit. <snip>
Urrrr... is that really your (or AS') problem?

Regards
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Well shoot. I bought a Lifetime TWA lounge membership in the 80's ($750 I think) and used it often at LAX T3 when Alaska started flying into what was TWA's terminal. When AA bought TWA, they did not honor the lifetime membership (not unexpected) but gave me a discounted AC membership every year. Well, when I started flying Alaska more, and had a AS Lounge membership, I dropped the AC membership as I just did not use it enough and the AS Lounge was not yet part of their network. Anyway, I have read through all of these e-mails and have no idea what the best strategy is. I do have access to PP but have been unwilling to give up me AS Lounge membership because of the PP access changes. Maybe someone could come up with a concise Wiki on the best strategy? Thanks!!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Klrduks
Well shoot. I bought a Lifetime TWA lounge membership in the 80's ($750 I think) and used it often at LAX T3 when Alaska started flying into what was TWA's terminal. When AA bought TWA, they did not honor the lifetime membership (not unexpected) but gave me a discounted AC membership every year. Well, when I started flying Alaska more, and had a AS Lounge membership, I dropped the AC membership as I just did not use it enough and the AS Lounge was not yet part of their network. Anyway, I have read through all of these e-mails and have no idea what the best strategy is. I do have access to PP but have been unwilling to give up me AS Lounge membership because of the PP access changes. Maybe someone could come up with a concise Wiki on the best strategy? Thanks!!
For those considering just using PP for AS lounges. Please note - they limit PP access frequently (especially LAX). i have arrived when there was an angry mob at the front desk and they fully allowed me in being an AS lounge member.....lets just say the mob didnt like that either......so bear that in mind when dropping the lounge membership and willing to deal with the AS bouncer at the door.....
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
For those considering just using PP for AS lounges. Please note - they limit PP access frequently (especially LAX). i have arrived when there was an angry mob at the front desk and they fully allowed me in being an AS lounge member.....lets just say the mob didnt like that either......so bear that in mind when dropping the lounge membership and willing to deal with the AS bouncer at the door.....
The good news is that you can drop it and just buy it again the same day you need it. Worst case, you avoid having it for a few months (and save some $) if/when PP works fine for you.

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the key.

AS is now part of not only a partnership with AA, but an alliance with OW.

Everytime one of its members uses another carrier's lounge, AS pays a fee (and likewise it receives a fee when other carriers' passengers use the AL). When the balance is relatively even, this is not an issue. But, if the balance shifts, the AL membership can drop from a nice draw to a cash suck.

Over a period of months, you can expect fees and value to harmonize.
SO when is AS going to get a premium CC that offers lounge membership and ability to earn EQM just like the rest of the carriers.....that would bring my spend back in a heart beat (as it did with the EQM promo last year)

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
It's pretty simple. If you just want ALs, it's $350 for elites.

If you want ALs and ACs, get the AA Citi Exec card, the AF is $450.

If you renew your membership by October, you'll be grandfathered in for a year and still get the ACs.
dayone, DMPHL and Klrduks like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
You've got a lot questions packed in there, but one thing I can tell is this; once traveler volumes increase closer to pre-pandemic levels, Alaska will drop Priority Pass faster than a hot potato (or just use the passive aggressive "the sign is out all day everyday" strategy). So if PP is part of any long term strategy, I'd be rethinking that.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you find so confusing. All the extra commentary about TWA and AA is largely irrelevant to the discussion; Alaska is raising the price of membership and offering two tiers. That new pricing may or may not be worth it to you. Only you can determine that.

Regards
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by scubadu
You've got a lot questions packed in there, but one thing I can tell is this; once traveler volumes increase closer to pre-pandemic levels, Alaska will drop Priority Pass faster than a hot potato (or just use the passive aggressive "the sign is out all day everyday" strategy). So if PP is part of any long term strategy, I'd be rethinking that.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you find so confusing. All the extra commentary about TWA and AA is largely irrelevant to the discussion; Alaska is raising the price of membership and offering two tiers. That new pricing may or may not be worth it to you. Only you can determine that.

Regards
Priority Pass is like flying non-rev: it is largely about space available.

I think that the more interesting question, and perhaps possibly a different thread, is what a Premium Alaska card would look like. IMHO the reason why Alaska does not offer a premium card is that BofA partners largely with discounters (Spirit, Allegiant, some cruise lines) that don't offer a premium product like AS...and they offer one credit card per travel partner. BofA just plays a different game than Citi/Chase/Amex.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
SO when is AS going to get a premium CC that offers lounge membership and ability to earn EQM just like the rest of the carriers.....that would bring my spend back in a heart beat (as it did with the EQM promo last year)
Not sure how well that works for AS.

The value proposition with OW is not providing OW access to its passengers, but rather inbound ticket revenue from OW carriers, esp. BA & CX, connecting from Europe and Asia. That fills aircraft with a lot of paid AS F passengers (remember that at least the inbound international F&J pax will book into paid AS F) and keeps fares at a manageable PRASM.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
The differentiator with earning EQM on "the rest of the carriers" is that it doesn't satisfy the Spend requirement for Top Tier, sans DLs $¼ Million dollar spend. Top Tier Elite Status in AS is EQM and 6 flights. I don't think an AL membership and MVPG75K Elite Status with $75K in spend and a couple of afternoons flying 6 segments on AS is the value proposition AS is looking for on a Premium $400-$500 AF credit card.

James
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The differentiator with earning EQM on "the rest of the carriers" is that it doesn't satisfy the Spend requirement for Top Tier, sans DLs $¼ Million dollar spend. Top Tier Elite Status in AS is EQM and 6 flights. I don't think an AL membership and MVPG75K Elite Status with $75K in spend and a couple of afternoons flying 6 segments on AS is the value proposition AS is looking for on a Premium $400-$500 AF credit card.

James
That’s rather extreme, James. We’ve seen AS do it before during the pandemic and capped EQM with spend at 20k? I don’t remember, but point is their doesn’t need to be a EQD waiver. DL also offers EQM bonuses at certain thresholds.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
BofA just plays a different game than Citi/Chase/Amex.
And their cards are just falling short compared to others. I wonder if Alaska will break with BoA, and join other banks though. A premium card should be the way going forward with lounge access and priority stuff etc. But I guess the customer base is still way smaller compared to US3, maybe that's the reason they don't see a value to differentiate card tiers.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
That’s rather extreme, James. We’ve seen AS do it before during the pandemic and capped EQM with spend at 20k? I don’t remember, but point is their doesn’t need to be a EQD waiver. DL also offers EQM bonuses at certain thresholds.
Yes, AS has done it as a one-off during the pandemic through a period of severely depressed flight loads. EQM was capped at 10K with $20K in spend. 2500 EQM for each $5K in spend. At best, you could earn 50% of MVP Status on AS only Metal with the requirements in effect at the time. My point is that giving AS EQM on a Premium Credit Card that grants an AL Membership with an AF around the same price as an AL Membership doesn't seem viable. An AL Plus Membership even less likely unless a higher AF.

If you are flying AS F you already have AL Access and earning COS towards Status. If you are flying Main or Saver you are already earning 100% EQM regardless of fare class without a second goal post to pass. AS EQM are easy to earn if you are flying enough to warrant an AL Membership.

If you are not flying regularly, holding the AS BofA Credit card allows you to purchase 18, 24 hour lounge passes for a similar outlay. Remember that a lounge pass can be used to access all ALs. Purchase a $25 AL pass for an evening SEA-LAX flight, use it also for a LAX-SEA afternoon flight the next day.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.