Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SEA TSA Security Lines for AS Travelers - Regular, PreCheck and CLEAR

Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

I heard someone complaining about the long lines at SEA yesterday when they flew out on AS in the afternoon. I thought they were just exaggerating. But nope, according to the video on King5, the general security line backed up through check-in lobby, down the stairs, across the skybridge, and into the garage. Did anyone travel through SEA yesterday? I am guessing that having Clear, Pre-Check, Status, or Flying First Class would have had a much better experience.

https://www.king5.com/article/travel...a-53cf60436b9b
anteater likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the news segment also explicitly said that (1) every other lane in the long "serpentine" holding areas was closed off in an effort to increase separation, and (2) there are floor markings at 6-foot intervals for the same purpose ... don't recall if they spoke with any people who had actually waited in the line, but (no surprise) it appeared to look significantly more dramatic than it really was
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
SEA always has some of the worst security lines pre CV19. not surprised to hear they are bad again.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
the news segment also explicitly said that (1) every other lane in the long "serpentine" holding areas was closed off in an effort to increase separation, and (2) there are floor markings at 6-foot intervals for the same purpose ... don't recall if they spoke with any people who had actually waited in the line, but (no surprise) it appeared to look significantly more dramatic than it really was
Perhaps that's what the article says, but the photographs do not show people standing 6 feet apart, or even 3 feet apart .... take another look?!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I was connecting at SEA yesterday and the Alaska app sent me a random push notification to arrive to SEA early to clear TSA. Obviously it didn't affect me as I was already airside but I thought that was a nice thought. The IT team were on top of things, to say the least.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Imagine what the summer is going to be like.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Imagine what the summer is going to be like.
Passenger numbers from 2019 to 2020 declined over 60%. From 51.8M to 20M. It may feel busy, relative to 2020 but if passenger numbers double in 2021 over 2020, it will still be 20% below 2019.

How busy will summer be? That will depend on a lot of factors; lifting of travel restrictions, resumption of international travel, both inbound and outbound, passenger sentiment, testing & quarantine requirements & their associated costs & easing of mandates are a few. There are also contributing factors to "pulses" of passenger and staffing levels at TSA that can make it appear busier at points in time rather than the day as a whole.

James
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Is there a Pre-Check line? I fly MCI often and they STILL have Pre closed. It's stupid because it's in the same spot as regular, just on the back side, so the lines go either direction. Sunday the line stretched so long that people were incredibly crowded (very normal for MCI's config). They finally called a second TSA agent--NOT to man Pre but to be a second agent for the REGULAR line so that two people could then stand NEXT to each other. Just WHY? They have had Pre closed for months. Someone I know works for AA at MCI and went on vacation this week. Said she was going to fly but "all the flights are full so I am just going to drive up." Seems like if all your AA flights are full (and you fly lots of AA flights in that terminal--Delta and United are in another terminal at MCI) that maybe it is TIME TO OPEN PRE-CHECK. Sorry to rant, but obviously this is going to become a bigger issue. I mean, without COVID what are we PAYING for?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Is there a Pre-Check line?
There are some dedicated Precheck security checkpoints, when I went through on Saturday they were busy but not as bad as they sometimes get. I let my Clear membership expire since I haven't done any work travel in the last year, but that line was completely deserted and would have saved me 8-10 minutes of waiting in the Precheck line.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
I went through the D/N checkpoint on Monday and found it to be its usual slow self. They were turning away people and directing them to the main security line once the line stretched past the person verifying boarding passes. There was no snaking so there were probably no more than 40-50 people in the general line before you had your ID checked.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:30 pm

Can anyone who's been through SEA in the last month comment on the state of the lines? I'm also wondering if PreCheck is always faster, or if we should take advantage of either First Class priority or the new reservation system instead.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TeaAddict
Can anyone who's been through SEA in the last month comment on the state of the lines? I'm also wondering if PreCheck is always faster, or if we should take advantage of either First Class priority or the new reservation system instead.
I've been through SEA 5 times in the past month and it hasn't been too bad - I've tried PreCheck, First Class, and the spotsaver reservation system. First class line was the fastest (less than 5 minutes to go through security), then the spot saver (skipped ahead of ~25 people or so, still took about 10 minutes to get to front of security line), and then PreCheck (wait of about 20 minutes or so). The slowest part is actually getting your stuff through the x-ray machines, if you get stuck in a line with lots of families, folks with lots of stuff, etc. But overall never needed to get to the airport more than an 45 mins. before boarding time, although I do tend to fly at non-peak hours.
TeaAddict likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I've been through quite a bit recently. It's usually pretty good.
The worst was last Monday AM. Checkpoint4/precheck was completely full and flowing into the checkin area. Checkpoint 5 was the same. But the Premium line had literally 0 people in it.
TeaAddict likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
I've been through quite a bit recently. It's usually pretty good.
The worst was last Monday AM. Checkpoint4/precheck was completely full and flowing into the checkin area. Checkpoint 5 was the same. But the Premium line had literally 0 people in it.
If I use the premium line and have precheck, will I get precheck "benefits" i.e. keep shoes on, WMD, laptops remain in bags, etc?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RxCapt
If I use the premium line and have precheck, will I get precheck "benefits" i.e. keep shoes on, WMD, laptops remain in bags, etc?
I cant speak for SEA, but at numerous other airports if I accidentally enter the standard queue they do not provide the PreCheck benefits; however, almost always they are kind enough to allow me to exit and re-enter in the PreCheck queue.

I imagine that as the size of complexity increases (eg a busy airport such as SEA), supporting benefits in a standard queue will cause a decrease in throughput.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.