Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:54 am

Given AA not so hot track record on new routes, what happens if you book and upgrade SEA-BLR but they move the start dates? When flying on AA and using SWUs they used to only protect you in booked cabin and only would upgrade you if C space was available. Precovid that could be a nightmare.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by LeonS
I booked SEA - LHR - SEA for August 2021.

(1) I booked on alaska.com for ~$1,037 (it was ~$40 cheaper to book the itinerary on the Alaska site Vs aa.com; also in case I need to cancel I'd rather have the cash in my Alaska wallet)

Both flights showed plenty of C available on ExpertFlyer.

Adding the BA connecting flights to Spain was increasing the ticket cost by almost $500 for departures at times that were not convenient to me. I'll book separate flights myself*.

(2) Called AA airlines (zero wait; agent was the friendliest agent I've had on the phone on a while). She said she had already done a few of these Alaska-gifted upgrades since yesterday so she knew what we were doing. She said I was the first case where the flight was not booked on aa.com directly, so the process would be "just a little different" because of the codeshare. She said that she had to re-issue the ticket (so I am now fearing that if I need to cancel I might after all not be able to get the cash back into my Alaska wallet...)

(3) I had to pay $66.30 for "Luxury Task" for the return upgrade, originating in London. Less than I expected.

And that's it! Both flights in confirmed Business class.
Interesting, I wonder if that's an exception for these.

Normally, AA SWUs cannot be used on codeshares.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by keitherson
Interesting, I wonder if that's an exception for these.

Normally, AA SWUs cannot be used on codeshares.
The Alaska website sells the AA SEA-LHR flights as an AA prime flight number, so not a codeshare, even if issued on 027 stock instead of 001.

Not sure if she had to reissue it as 001 before applying the certificate? They do always re-issue the ticket with a new ticket number when applying an upgrade certificate.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Given AA not so hot track record on new routes, what happens if you book and upgrade SEA-BLR but they move the start dates? When flying on AA and using SWUs they used to only protect you in booked cabin and only would upgrade you if C space was available. Precovid that could be a nightmare.
From what I've heard, it would be the same as with an AA SWU (and is treated as one internally by AA), so you'd be in danger if the demand went up / was pushed back to the holidays.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
The Alaska website sells the AA SEA-LHR flights as an AA prime flight number, so not a codeshare, even if issued on 027 stock instead of 001.

Not sure if she had to reissue it as 001 before applying the certificate? They do always re-issue the ticket with a new ticket number when applying an upgrade certificate.
THe Sea-Lhr flights are sold with an AS flight number. It initially shows the AA flight number but will show the AS flight number when you get to your cart (doesn't show in the app). AA 155/156 are AS 8055/8056. Great way to get 100% AS miles. Too bad they are only selling coach!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
I snagged two SEA-LHR business class seats in late August on AA metal. I had to have the agent search dates but more than one was available. Less than $1,000 per ticket.
channa likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by icelandman2
From what I've heard, it would be the same as with an AA SWU (and is treated as one internally by AA), so you'd be in danger if the demand went up / was pushed back to the holidays.
Sounds about right. I'll probably book something safer then. With AA bookings way up I dont want to fight it if BLR doesnt happen on time.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:10 pm

Ha, I had not even thought about earning redeemable miles for this.

But yea, I think spending ~$1,100 for confirmed Business class LHR-SEA is an acceptable deal. I'm happy with the purchase.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Sounds about right. I'll probably book something safer then. With AA bookings way up I dont want to fight it if BLR doesnt happen on time.
Will definitely be safer to book another route, but if an upgraded flight with a confirmed SWU to business class gets canceled or delayed to a different date, AA will usually move you to another date and preserve the upgrade. They won't transfer you to, say BA or QR, but will usually protect you on their own metal.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Ive had good luck with this approach: Check for mileage award space in business at aa.com. Sometimes its useful to check segment by segment and waitlist the domestic if the international is available. I then place the itn on hold and call AA to upgrade with the SWU (hopefully the AS books in same category).
does this work on a connecting itinerary i.e. I book SFO>LAX>LHR on AA and see C upgrade availability on LAX>LHR. Can the agent apply the AS Upgeade coupon to the LHR segment and leave the SFO>LAX segment untouched, or does it have to be a direct flight on its own booking?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
does this work on a connecting itinerary i.e. I book SFO>LAX>LHR on AA and see C upgrade availability on LAX>LHR. Can the agent apply the AS Upgeade coupon to the LHR segment and leave the SFO>LAX segment untouched, or does it have to be a direct flight on its own booking?
It will work fine on connecting itineraries. As long as one of the qualifying nonstops is in there, they will upgrade that flight. Does not need to originate and terminate in the listed markets.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:21 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
NYE in Spain? London?

As mentioned by channa (and others) you can easily get to BCN for almost nothing. I was specifically checking fares/upgrades post Xmas and found some good stuff.

SFO-LAX-LHR-BCN is available o/w for $245 - with C inventory LAX-LHR - for the entire week starting 26DEC. In fact, four consecutive days are showing C7, the max that EF will display. (Take the kids! Hell, take the neighbors!)

And, while I would never condone any hidden-city shenanigans, some intrepid FTers might just forget to take that last LHR-BCN segment, ending up with a pretty cheap ticket to London. Or, just book SFO-LHR directly for $463.

As for getting home, I don't see anything cheap at the moment, but if you can route via LHR-SEA, you'll find C inventory on 04/05/07JAN.

Last edited by LRD; Apr 10, 2021 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by LRD
As mentioned by channa (and others) you can easily get to BCN for almost nothing. I was specifically checking fares/upgrades post Xmas and found some good stuff.

SFO-LAX-LHR-BCN is available o/w for $245 - with C inventory LAX-LHR - for the entire week starting 26DEC. In fact, four consecutive days are showing C7, the max that EF will display. (Take the kids! Hell, take the neighbors!)

And, while I would never condone any hidden-city shenanigans, some intrepid FTers might just forget to take that last LHR-BCN segment, ending up with a pretty cheap ticket to London. Or, just book SFO-LHR directly for $463.

As for getting home, I don't see anything cheap at the moment, but if you can route via LHR-SEA, you'll find C inventory on 04/05/07JAN.
With Lisbon being even lower...

fyi: re getting home - these instruments are only valid until 12/31.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:51 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
. . . only valid until 12/31.
My bad. Thanks for catching me on that.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Make sure you get ticketed

I have now been through the whole process twice: First the SEA-LHR-MAD trip I posted earlier, and then a rebooking to SFO-(SEA-LHR)-LIS after Labor Day for $440 :-). Three data points in case they're useful:
* You can force great routing using ITA Matrix and bookwithmatrix.com will ticket on aa.com
* BCN was almost as cheap as LIS but it can be rainy in September
* The EXP desk agents are very nice and hard-working but this is a new process, and the certificates did not get pulled properly for either itinerary. If AA.com shows your tickets "on request" after a day or two, call them back.
NYC Flyer and channa like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.