Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
How do you cancel a flight without accepting a refund or a credit? Do you say something specific to a rep, to keep a ticket in open status but cancel the segments, or something?
I've actually never cancelled a flight on AA so I'm not sure of the flow. On AS it's one of the options (email ticket numbers). I thought that this was the default on AA (they email you the ticket number; if you want a refund you need to request it separately on prefunds) but like I said I've never done it.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've actually never cancelled a flight on AA so I'm not sure of the flow. On AS it's one of the options (email ticket numbers). I thought that this was the default on AA (they email you the ticket number; if you want a refund you need to request it separately on prefunds) but like I said I've never done it.
Oh, you're right. It is a conspicuous option on AS to "send the canceled ticket to my email and exchange for travel later," and AA refunds do tend to come from Prefunds, I think.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Are these expected to be full SWUs?

The are tricks to extend them. There are more details in the AA forum but basically once you are upgraded on any one segment the SWU is pulled and can no longer expire. The flights can be cancelled and the ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket, with the certificate still attached.

Also, as long as one segment has cleared, the other segments will continue to be waitlisted and can clear after the SWU would have expired.

However, if all segments are waitlisted at the expiration date, the SWU will expire worthless. So you need one segment to clear before the expiration date.

Also if you cancel flights with cleared SWU segments, do not take a refund or a credit. The ticket must be left intact to preserve the upgrade. I believe that this is a similar to the trick used when cancelling AS flights with a companion cert (and possibly a GGU? Not sure about that one)
Not sure what you mean by "full" SWUs, but these are expected to be similar to last year's batch....good on long haul west coast routes only.....I think the AA SWUs can be used on any AA route, domestic or international, correct?
Old May 13, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I was an EXP for 10 plus years, but I can't remember if we were allowed to ticket past the day the eVIP/SWUs/paper certs of yore expired and that expiration date was at the end of Feb. I certainly hope we will be offered this opportunity given that we won't be getting the upgrades until June-ish.

IIRC, the SEA to London service doesn't start until the middle of Fall, that doesn't give much time to plan and book.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
I was an EXP for 10 plus years, but I can't remember if we were allowed to ticket past the day the eVIP/SWUs/paper certs of yore expired and that expiration date was at the end of Feb. I certainly hope we will be offered this opportunity given that we won't be getting the upgrades until June-ish.

IIRC, the SEA to London service doesn't start until the middle of Fall, that doesn't give much time to plan and book.
I don't know what the rules were back then but you certainly can now. I have a round trip in August with both long haul international segments and 2 of the 3 domestic segments confirmed using 2 SWUs that had an expiration date in July. The final domestic segment is waitlisted as "systemwide upgrade" rather than "complimentary".

If these are not full SWUs I would still expect them to follow the same rules, but, maybe not.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You won’t be using anything on SEA-BLR anytime soon…

985X likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You won’t be using anything on SEA-BLR anytime soon…

https://twitter.com/xjonnyc/status/1529928961542832306
Nor LAX-AKL

"LAX-AKL to move to DFW, begins 10/29 this year. The rationale is for more / better connections"
Old May 26, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Nor LAX-AKL

"LAX-AKL to move to DFW, begins 10/29 this year. The rationale is for more / better connections"
The SWU would include LAX-DFW?
Old May 26, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vanillabean
The SWU would include LAX-DFW?
Some people are saying that the SWU would be limited to west coast based flights so LAX-DFW would work but not DFW-AKL.

im hoping it will be a regular SWU so that LAX-DFW-AKL is fine but we will have to see
Old May 27, 2022, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Some people are saying that the SWU would be limited to west coast based flights so LAX-DFW would work but not DFW-AKL.

im hoping it will be a regular SWU so that LAX-DFW-AKL is fine but we will have to see
You still would need to find upgrade space (or waitlist and pray)

I just used my last 2 SWUs on LAX-HND in March. Finding space on literally any other longhaul is tough. There are a lot of SWUs out there from the multiple extensions and upgrade-C space is really hard to find right now. I was lucky enough to find space on DFW-ICN for my first 2 (these are full, AA-issued ones but they will share the same upgrade space) and I'm going in August, which is not exactly peak time, and even that was difficult. I wanted to plan a trip to EZE but there was nothing available.

If you have a destination in mind you can try searching "awards and upgrades" on EF to see what's available. It makes finding saver award space seem like a cakewalk by comparison.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Since the 2022 AA upgrades have new terms, please continue the discussion in this thread.

100K/75K AA Upgrade Certificates (2022) - FlyerTalk Forums

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.