Expired miles, account and reinstatement

Old Apr 3, 21, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Expired miles, account and reinstatement

Does the reinstatement within a year still hold? According to an article in thepointsguy.com...

..So what happens if this pandemic drags on for two years and your hard-earned miles disappear? You have up to a year to reinstate Alaska miles for just a $75 fee. Alaska is currently waiving this fee due to the pandemic, with no announced end date to this policy...

Where I am, travel is banned anywhere outside my town. I didn’t even bother with much travel within 5 blocks of where I live..it was only today that I tried to check my account and wondered why Alaskaair.com kept asking for my MP number.. and my account couldn’t be found,

Then realised that my 42K miles and account disappeared in Nov 2020.

So upon finding this, I am hoping that I still have time to get my miles back. Even with $75. Do I have to call into Customer Service?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 3, 21 at 11:11 am
Old Apr 3, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Yes and yes.
pcoll likes this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Anyone had success w/ getting miles reinstated by email, chat, twitter? My g/f's miles expired, and if there's no charge to get them reinstated, we'd like to give it a shot.
Old Apr 6, 21, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
Anyone had success w/ getting miles reinstated by email, chat, twitter? My g/f's miles expired, and if there's no charge to get them reinstated, we'd like to give it a shot.
As noted above, there is a charge, and you have to call customer care. They won't take a credit card via the channels you mention, only phone.
Old Apr 6, 21, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
As noted above, there is a charge, and you have to call customer care. They won't take a credit card via the channels you mention, only phone.
What is this in the first post stating that the reinstatement charge is waived? Is that a YMMV, or still a documented policy somewhere in the current CV19 business protocols?
Old Apr 6, 21, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
What is this in the first post stating that the reinstatement charge is waived? Is that a YMMV, or still a documented policy somewhere in the current CV19 business protocols?
It's a quote from a TPG post, evidently, but you won't find that anywhere on AS' site, at least that I can find.
Old Apr 6, 21, 8:33 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
It's a quote from a TPG post, evidently, but you won't find that anywhere on AS' site, at least that I can find.
In 2020 I reinstated an account for a family member that I wanted to gift MVP to. When I called, the agent happily reinstated the account and requested the MVP status. She also advised that the gifted status was also going to be extended, which it was. The fee was never mentioned. I saw that the $75 charge was waived in the email confirmation of reinstatement. I was prepared to pay the fee but thought it might have been a gesture for 75K Status. Now I am wondering if the fee was a Covid-19 waiver since it was never mentioned that they were waiving it for me.

I would just call and ask for the reinstatement and see if the fee is mentioned or kindly ask for a waiver if it is. A $75 reinstatement fee seems pretty reasonable to me for reactivating an account that can be inactive for up to a year.

James
NoLaGent likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: