Mileage Run to New York

Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: The detailed analysis of NYS' Traveler Arrival Policy is way off-topic. Let's stick to discussing the requirements for (and questioning the sanity of) the mileage run. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
simonsuo likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 3, 2021 at 4:32 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
can't comment on JFK, but I did 2 LAX-EWR, no troubles if you don't fill out forms at either side. I also called Alaska to confirm, they will not check/require anything to give you a boarding pass, or report you of any sort, as long as you are in the lower 48. I am not familiar with entering AK or HI though if you need anything to check in for your flight.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I am not familiar with entering AK or HI though if you need anything to check in for your flight.
There are no longer any requirements for entering Alaska. They do still have the people to check you in upon arrival and the Covid-19 test is free to anyone that wants one. Both are purely voluntary at this point. I have flown several times recently and the last time I voluntarily got tested ( March 30), I never got my test results back.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
There are no longer any requirements for entering Alaska. They do still have the people to check you in upon arrival and the Covid-19 test is free to anyone that wants one. Both are purely voluntary at this point. I have flown several times recently and the last time I voluntarily got tested ( March 30), I never got my test results back.
That's good to know. ANC/FAI - lower 48 routes competition is heating up pretty fast, with AA/DL/United rushing to the market, and some even provide lie-flat or twin isle planes. I'm sure there will be more deals coming up the next few months. I do hope the hotels are cheaper, especially at Seward where there is only 1 best western can using points.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
That's good to know. ANC/FAI - lower 48 routes competition is heating up pretty fast, with AA/DL/United rushing to the market, and some even provide lie-flat or twin isle planes. I'm sure there will be more deals coming up the next few months. I do hope the hotels are cheaper, especially at Seward where there is only 1 best western can using points.
Ha- hotels are never cheaper in the summer in Alaska in a normal year. Cars are going to be very $$$ and difficult to come by as well.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Ha- hotels are never cheaper in the summer in Alaska in a normal year. Cars are going to be very $$$ and difficult to come by as well.
The tourism industry in AK is predicting a pretty good year for tourism in Alaska. Our vaccination rate is among the highest in the country. Alaska offers more options for socially distanced activities, particularly outdoors and is always at or near the top of the list of states people want to visit. If we get an exemption to allow cruise ships to NOT stop in Canada (don't get me started on that stupid rule), we will be back to the normal, high priced summer rates. And don't even think about waiting for cheaper fall and winter rates. They are mostly a thing of the past as more people come here for winter activities.

Looking at all the new routes the airlines are adding to AK, I doubt you will see many cheap offers this year. AS is not dropping their prices (for the most part) anymore.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I see some cars are already sold out at Hertz/Avis on Independency day weekend. It is still 3 months out!

Back to topic, I would prefer MR between LAX-ANC considering strong operations support AS has at west coast and AK. But the fare are just too expensive compared to $200 LAX-East coasts RT, especially last December when they have 30% off for all routes. I do hope the competition can bring the price down. But not counting on it at least for this year.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
I see some cars are already sold out at Hertz/Avis on Independency day weekend. It is still 3 months out!

Back to topic, I would prefer MR between LAX-ANC considering strong operations support AS has at west coast and AK. But the fare are just too expensive compared to $200 LAX-East coasts RT, especially last December when they have 30% off for all routes. I do hope the competition can bring the price down. But not counting on it at least for this year.

lol I paid only $160 RT with the 30% off last Dec! Initially booked on LAX-JFK redeye direct, which I knew they would cancel, then after the schedule change, I rebooked to LAX-SEA-JFK-SEA-LAX to get more miles..
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by 985X
lol I paid only $160 RT with the 30% off last Dec! Initially booked on LAX-JFK redeye direct, which I knew they would cancel, then after the schedule change, I rebooked to LAX-SEA-JFK-SEA-LAX to get more miles..
Me too -- except I switched to SNA, and it was $130 RT originating in NY (basically the reverse of yours).

-J.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Me too -- except I switched to SNA, and it was $130 RT originating in NY (basically the reverse of yours).

-J.
if you dont mind.. when are you traveling? I will be doing back-to-back MRs over the next few weekends..
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by 985X
if you dont mind.. when are you traveling? I will be doing back-to-back MRs over the next few weekends..
My travel is already completed. I did trips to SJC (originally SFO) and SNA (originally LAX) last month.

I regret not booking more. For another $550 or so I could have hit MVPG.

-J.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Asked and answered. The thread has run its course so time to close.

dayone, AS Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.