Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by olouie
If you get that to stick it will work, however you are not supposed to do this and AA is pretty strict about not allowing FFN changes if you used AA miles to book since they consider miles a benefit of the program.
So I cant use my AA miles for an award for myself and use my AS # and MVPG status? I recently did just that by booking a BA award from my AA account and creating a new traveler profile with my name and AS number (based on a suggestion in some thread here). In other words I didnt change the loyalty number; the record never had the AA number. Not allowed?

How is this different from me booking an award with my miles for my wife who doesnt participate in the AA program but has AS status, so her traveler profile in my AA account has her AS number?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Easiest way to do it is to not put in your AA number to begin with. At booking time, clear all the passenger info (name, etc) and re-enter it with the FF number you want. Someone here pointed out in a different thread that you can also save that "new" passenger as a companion, which will make biking fit them in the future easier.

I'm not sure how much AA actually cares about this, so do you at your own risk.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Easiest way to do it is to not put in your AA number to begin with. At booking time, clear all the passenger info (name, etc) and re-enter it with the FF number you want. Someone here pointed out in a different thread that you can also save that "new" passenger as a companion, which will make biking fit them in the future easier.

I'm not sure how much AA actually cares about this, so do you at your own risk.

That’s basically what I did.

If AA wanted to disallow use of another airline’s loyalty number on an AA award, they could easily implement that in their booking system.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thats basically what I did.

If AA wanted to disallow use of another airlines loyalty number on an AA award, they could easily implement that in their booking system.
I don't think that's what they want.

FWIW the prohibition against this does not appear to be in the current AAdvantage terms, but maybe it's somewhere else.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thats basically what I did.

If AA wanted to disallow use of another airlines loyalty number on an AA award, they could easily implement that in their booking system.
When I booked AA awards using my AA miles it autofills my information with my AA FFN. I've tried before to change it without success and was told by the AA reps that its against their policy to allow this, but YMMV there. I've never tried just using my miles for myself but using a new traveller information/profile. Thats probably the way to go in the future.
notquiteaff and isaacchambers like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Recent datapoints, no dice

Date: 3/27/2024
Flight Number: AA 2414
Route (Please bold if failure): SFO-PHX
Companion (If Any): Yes
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: 10 or 11?

Date: 3/27/24
Flight Number: AA 2223
Route (Please bold if failure): PHX-MSY
Companion (If Any): Yes
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: Died #1 and 2. I have no idea if AA has similar upgrade issues with companions as AS does so it's possible we could have been passed over

Date: 3/31/24
Flight Number: AA 2224
Route (Please bold if failure): MSY-DFW
Companion (If Any): yes
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: died in the double digits - 10 or 11

Date: 3/31/24
Flight Number: AA 2340
Route (Please bold if failure): DFW-SFO
Companion (If Any): yes
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: died in the middle

Miss flying AS although MCE seats were nice

ETA: pleasantly surprised that the flights from 3/27 posted next morning. Still waiting on 3/31 but it was a weekend so I am guessing it might take a little longer
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
This may have been mentioned before, but in my latest experience I'm thinking AA is very aggressive in selling paid F upgrades before status members are upgraded. As a data point, flew SJC-PHX-SAN recently, there were more than 10 empty F seats on PHX-SAN up to check-in time, and ended up not being upgraded.

BTW: what I don't understand is how this paid upgrade process works (at least for AS elites). Book a flight, AA website shows paid upgrade offer, but once it detects AS status that offer disappears and is replaced with a message that you're on the F upgrade list. So non-elites are able to buy the upgrade, while elites can't do that unless they do it immediately after booking.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by frankvb
This may have been mentioned before, but in my latest experience I'm thinking AA is very aggressive in selling paid F upgrades before status members are upgraded. As a data point, flew SJC-PHX-SAN recently, there were more than 10 empty F seats on PHX-SAN up to check-in time, and ended up not being upgraded.

BTW: what I don't understand is how this paid upgrade process works (at least for AS elites). Book a flight, AA website shows paid upgrade offer, but once it detects AS status that offer disappears and is replaced with a message that you're on the F upgrade list. So non-elites are able to buy the upgrade, while elites can't do that unless they do it immediately after booking.
not sure how relevant this is for international travel ... it's ~30 days out; Mrs767 (MVP) and I (100K) are currently booked in J SEA-LAX-LHR; in my AApp there's a $600 offer to buy up to F
frankvb and samosa like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

As an MVP Gold, I don't typically get upgrade offers for AA flights although I've been on the upgrade list.
samosa and blue bear like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
...As a data point, flew SJC-PHX-SAN recently, there were more than 10 empty F seats on PHX-SAN up to check-in time, and ended up not being upgraded....
Same thing with a LAX-ABQ AA flight - one seat occupied in F, asked about AS elite upgrade and was told to get stuffed.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Wed 24 Apr
  • SEA-LAX-ORD-SYR, AA4668 (7am), AA1594 (1130am), 3402 (8pm)
  • 100K, V fare purchased Sun 20 Apr ~4pm PDT
  • cleared SEA-LAX half an hour or so after booking, and ORD-SYR an hour or so after that
my initial booking — 18 Feb, N fare, same price — was SEA-LAX-DCA-SYR, AS1246 (7am), AS6 (1pm), AA4643 (1015pm); seat maps currently show one F seat open on AS1214, and AS6 has been full up front for at least two weeks

aft exit row window on LAX-ORD isn’t altogether too different than 7F on AS, and at this point in the year I’m ok with the hit to RDM and EQM

update: as best I noticed, I was something like 9 of 20-odd for 2 seats on AA1594

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 24, 2024 at 5:29 pm
Old Apr 21, 2024, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by olouie
When I booked AA awards using my AA miles it autofills my information with my AA FFN. I've tried before to change it without success and was told by the AA reps that its against their policy to allow this, but YMMV there. I've never tried just using my miles for myself but using a new traveller information/profile. Thats probably the way to go in the future.
I "clear" the passenger info like i was entering a new passenger name...but just enter myself with my AS number.....MCE seats for free on a AA award from my non-elite Aadvantage acct.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

works for AA revenue tix also

AAdvantage app allows you to add another passenger profile, which can include pre-populating a non-AA program such as AS, so you don’t have to clear the saved passenger info every time … just deselect the default passenger (AAdvantage number) and select the alternate
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Some of my recent data points (hope I'm doing this right):

Date: 4/6/2024
Flight Number: AA 892
Route (Please bold if failure): JFK-CLT
Companion (If Any): No
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: 6-7 hours out (overnight)

Date: 4/6/2024
Flight Number: AA 2725
Route (Please bold if failure): CLT-DFW
Companion (If Any): No
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: #10ish for 0 seats

Date: 4/10/2024
Flight Number: AA 2382
Route (Please bold if failure): DFW-LGA
Companion (If Any): No*
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: #18ish for 1 seat

Got MCE on CLT-DFW and DFW-LGA so that was fine.

*I was technically on an itinerary by myself but on DFW-LGA I had them link my itinerary to a friend's so he could sit in the exit row with me.

-J.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM
MVP Upgrade priority with companion

Hi there!

I'm an AS MVP 100K flying with a no-status companion, same pNR. Currently I am showing as #1 for 5 on the waitlist, and my companion is #5. Is this right? AA chat agent said my companion will inherit my upgrade priority regardless, but I was a bit suprised we don't show as #1 and #2.

I did just add an AA FFN to her profile (after check in), not sure if its like with some other airlines where if the companion has no FFN they get lower priority. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.